Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can a bad cut on leg cause paralysis to leg?!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can a bad cut on leg cause paralysis to leg?!!!!

Okay,so i have a bad scab on my left knee(my usual affected leg) its red and warm around the scab(yes,i know,i am a nurse and i am taking an antibiotic) and as the day has gone on,my entire left leg,and arm, are starting to get weaker and heavier and on the verge of feeling like my left side may not function in the morning? is this a flare? do i call neuro?

Could be a pseudo-flare, but if it would make you feel better, give the neuro a shout-out! Can't hurt...
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

It may be but what is your angle? Do you need analgesia, want steriods or a MRI? If not, just rest and let it resolve.

Sometimes a day in bed is all that helps. I hope you feel better soon. The inflammation in your leg probally triggered the MS.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzgirl View Post
        Could be a pseudo-flare, but if it would make you feel better, give the neuro a shout-out! Can't hurt...
        I am one of those pts. that never cll my neuro. so,this is normal?

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
          I am one of those pts. that never cll my neuro. so,this is normal?
          Any infection that causes you to run a fever, even a very small fever, can cause preexisting MS symptoms to flare (pseudoexacerbation). So yes, I'd say what you're experiencing is "normal"...but then I'm not a neuro.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
            Any infection that causes you to run a fever, even a very small fever, can cause preexisting MS symptoms to flare (pseudoexacerbation). So yes, I'd say what you're experiencing is "normal"...but then I'm not a neuro.
            Sequoia,y is it that quite often I ren a low grade fever,sometimes for no reason? I am copaxone every other day,and had low grade fevers off and on for years prior to dx. Now it's so frequently it's making me mad! If it's normal,I will accept it and go to my yoga class,work etc....but I get so worried it isnt normal,than my routine is off cuz so worried bout overdoing it to avoid a flare,that i dont do the things i enjoy. ugh! this isnt living to me. unless,its normal and i can just carry on and not have to baby thyself so as to avoid a flare. so tired of this. cant get "the dance" of ms ?down. ur thoughts on the fevers please? and anything else

Comment

I'm no doctor, but seems to me any infection could bring on an increase in symptoms...just like a UTI causes increased symptoms. Whether or not it leads to a flare is anybody's guess.

I recently had an infection (after surgery)...then took some strong infusion antibiotics...then a month in had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. My symptoms increased, and have stayed increased because of it, but I don't feel like I'm in a true flare.

My only advice would be to do what you feel like you're up to doing, and don't push yourself more than usual. If you're heading into an exacerbation, you'll know soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
                Sequoia,y is it that quite often I ren a low grade fever,sometimes for no reason? I am copaxone every other day,and had low grade fevers off and on for years prior to dx. Now it's so frequently it's making me mad! If it's normal,I will accept it and go to my yoga class,work etc....but I get so worried it isnt normal,than my routine is off cuz so worried bout overdoing it to avoid a flare,that i dont do the things i enjoy. ugh! this isnt living to me. unless,its normal and i can just carry on and not have to baby thyself so as to avoid a flare. so tired of this. cant get "the dance" of ms ?down. ur thoughts on the fevers please? and anything else
                As far as the low grade fevers are concerned, I did a search online and it seems they're fairly common with MS, although nobody really seems to know why. Some neuros say the fevers aren't caused by the MS; others say they may well be, depending on lesion location.

Here's an old thread from MSWorld; not too much information, but maybe interesting nonetheless.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110886

I get low grade fevers myself for no apparent reason, but they don't affect my symptoms in any obvious way. (My basal temperature is low at around 97 degrees.)

My completely unprofessional advice would be that if you're running a slight temp but experiencing no increase in symptoms, just accept it as your "normal" and engage in your usual activities. If, however, you're running a temp from an infection, I'd be inclined to take it really easy until the infection is cleared up.

Comment

Low Grade Fevers

I, too, have frequent low grade fevers. For the last two years or so, every time I go to my doctor I'm running about 100 - 100.5. We found, quite by accident, that I'm having frequent UTIs that we're in the process of investigating the cause for. Just had a CAT scan on Monday, and I get the results today. If that turns out 'normal', then it's on to flow studies.

The doctor also says that I might be fighting off some of those infections before they take hold, and that might be the reason behind my frequent fevers when I don't have an infection.

Comment

Sorry you are going through all this.

BUT..run this past your neuro's triage nurse. THAT is their job to help you figure this out with the doctor. Do not assume everything is MS related or "normal"..call your doc's office..see what THEY have to say ok?

Hugs.. Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                    X