Cold Temperatures bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Temperatures bad?

It is getting colder here in Nebraska and I have noticed when I get really cold, which doesn't seem to happen much anymore, I feel like I am literally frozen stiff.
    My body is so stiff, especially my legs, that I can hardly walk.
    Is this something that can happen when the temperature gets cold or am I still just a wimp when it comes to cold weather?
    DX 10/26/11

Hello valeriem,

MS can cause heat intolerance, cold intolerance or both.

It is not uncommon for cold temps to cause stiffness and pain as well as other symptoms, depending on the person.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Valerie

It is getting colder here in Nebraska and I have noticed when I get really cold, which doesn't seem to happen much anymore, I feel like I am literally frozen stiff.
      My body is so stiff, especially my legs, that I can hardly walk.
      Is this something that can happen when the temperature gets cold or am I still just a wimp when it comes to cold weather?
      For many of us with MS, the cold temps can trigger muscle spasticity.

When the cold temps trigger my spasticity, I am unable to move my arms and legs.

I am one of the lucky ones who is negatively affected by the heat and the cold. They both affect my ability to move.

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Heat and cold both effect me,in different ways. The head mainly causes fatigue,and the cold causes stiffness. Both being extreme heat/cold,causes my neuropathy to act up. I can not say which is better cause they both are bad. My ideal season is fall and spring!! About 50's 60's ...
        RRMS-2007-2012
        SPMS-2012
        Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
        currently on Rebif

Comment

I noticed the heat makes me shaky and weak...but I went to an outdoor concert a couple of weeks ago and it got very cold in the evening and the way my body reacted scared me terribly.
          I walked to the restroom by myself once and half way there I was regretting going alone. I thought my legs were just going to stop completely and I was going to be frozen in place right there. The only way I could describe it to my ex who was with me was that I felt as if my body was turning to stone.
          I have never had this happen before. I guess this is what you all speak of when you mention spasticity. I was never sure if I really experienced it before but now I will most definitely know what it feels like.
          DX 10/26/11

Comment

Valerie

I guess this is what you all speak of when you mention spasticity. I was never sure if I really experienced it before but now I will most definitely know what it feels like.
            You may be interested in this info from the National MS Society, which describes Spasticity:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ity/index.aspx

Take care,
            KoKo
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

valeriem,

I am both heat and cold intolerant. Spasticity for me is more about leg stiffness and pain, cold makes it even worse which also means getting my legs to move becomes even more difficult.

I have learned to wear thermals under my pants even when it's in the 50s. It sucks but if I can keep my legs warmer it's worth it.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
              X