Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous about testing/what is best process

Hey guys, I can't believe I got myself to write this but-

After a weird collection of random syns over two years, I believe that I should get tested for MS... and I was wondering if there's a way to bypass the family doctor and move the process along faster...so to speak...or since you guys been through this what shortcuts in the process can be made? I know that you can't rush the process from what I read from your posts on here, but I'm just scared about what I think is the reality.

I'm a 27 y/o male and starting like two years ago (as far as i can remember on and off) random synthoms have showed up and gone away. This morning and last month I've been having issues with heat. This morning my shower felt like 100+ degrees, and the water was cold. I couldn't even feel the temperature clearly...like i could, but I couldn't. The first time it happened i was in a rush to get to work and couldn't process it. Today I stayed in the shower for a half hour moving the faucet to all different degrees, hoping it would feel colder. I could sleep for 12 hours and wake up feeling like I only slept for 4. I've been having ongoing periods of my limbs getting numb, and stiff joints when I wake up. Some mornings, and while I sleep, there's a disconnected feeling as if I turned off the connection from my brain to my body. When I have beers with the guys I could barely drink two, and my tolerance keeps getting lower, and my body just wants me to go to sleep asap. What gets me is that I'm pretty active, I run and lift at the gym 4-5 times a week. I'm in better shape than I was before, but I feel like I'm getting weaker energy wise. There was a day at the gym where I felt what felt like a major muscle spasm that felt like a major disconnection to my legs and they went numb. I've been telling myself that this has all been just my body being sore, and rebuilding itself like normal, but now at this point, I admit there's something wrong. Like I had mono senior year of College and this almost feels like I never shook it, or that majority of the synthoms mirror it.

I would be fine with the diagnosis, but am nervous with the process. If that makes any sense. If I do have it, I'll deal with it, but I don't want to put the emotional burden on my parents who are older. So I just ...I dunno what to do. These group of synthoms are all so random and only point to MS, from what I have gathered. So thanks for reading my rambling guys.

Scott

Hello Scott

This link from the National MS Society will help you to understand how MS is diagnosed, which also includes ruling out any other conditions that are similar to MS:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Scott-
      I went to a neurologist who does a lot of MS, and asked for an MRI. He said I didn't need one, it was probably carpal tunnel, and I asked him to please order an MRI. He did. It came back quite conclusive, so if you can get a neuro to order an MRI, that might be a first step to see if MS would be easily diagnosed by MRI for you. It wouldn't be ruled out, however, as a clear MRI does not mean you don't have MS, but it could rule it in, if its clear cut, like mine was.

Comment

I would start with your PCP and either ask for referral directly to a neurologist, or perhaps your PCP can do some of the testing to rule out other issues, such as Lyme, Vitamin B deficiency, thyroid, lupus, etc. and then you can ask for neuro referral.

Either way, the idea is to rule out other things that can be tested for, and then start with neuro consult, MRIs and/or LP (lumbar puncture), etc.

I would highly recommend that if you have not already done so, you should start a symptom journal. Record what you can remember of dates, types of symptom, location of symptom, length symptom lasted (hours, days, etc.), and severity of symptom.

Good luck.

Comment

and dont' forget to mention everything. My PCP gave me the runaround when I was stricken. Funny thing is that I never told her that I had this funny tingling sensation whenever I bent my neck. That would have been an instant trip to the neuro years earlier.

Comment

Also - your symptoms could be caused by lots of things besides MS. It's imortant to make sure your doctor doesn't secretly think you're just a nut case. Be confident when you say that something is ******* wrong. Doctors hate to find anything wrong; you have to push them.

It can easily be physical, i.e. pinched nerve, so do get checked out. But while you're wondering if it's neurological, it can't hurt to start taking VitaminD

Comment

Working...
            X