Not talkative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not talkative

Does anyone else get where they aren't talkitive? I have to talk at work and I rather not. So when I get home I am talked out. I haven't ever been a big talker. Sometimes it just seems an effort to push my voice out.

Does anyone have that problem? How do you get the other people in your life to understand you not wanting to talk so much any more?

Talkative

I've never been talkative. Now I can hardly make sounds. If I do get a few words out they are very deep and soft. I know this mis caused by MS but it sounds like my problem is different from your's.

Lois

Comment

I am but only with certain people... I am talkative to a select few friends and family... Everyone else I avoid, I gained tons of weight from the steroids and can't get the last 15 off, I lost most of my straight hair that is now coming back curly and is 2 or so inches long, I was a tanner, and I worked out--- all this means I get a lot of- oh! I did not recognize you. Uuugggghhhhh!! I walk slow with a limp at times and people say---- oh! What happened to you??

I hate the public outings. And when I say- I have MS they feel awkward and stand there apologizing and offering to help me if needed...

I lived in a big city until a few months ago, now back in very small home town... I feel like I have a scarlet letter on my chest

Comment

Originally posted by Sdickerson1 View Post
        I am but only with certain people... I am talkative to a select few friends and family... Everyone else I avoid, I gained tons of weight from the steroids and can't get the last 15 off, I lost most of my straight hair that is now coming back curly and is 2 or so inches long, I was a tanner, and I worked out--- all this means I get a lot of- oh! I did not recognize you. Uuugggghhhhh!! I walk slow with a limp at times and people say---- oh! What happened to you??

I hate the public outings. And when I say- I have MS they feel awkward and stand there apologizing and offering to help me if needed...

I lived in a big city until a few months ago, now back in very small home town... I feel like I have a scarlet letter on my chest
        First off; I want to say that I am laughing with you not at you!
        I have lost most of my straight hair (off my head) and it has come back curly and located further south than original location.

I have always been in good shape but the meds and MS have made me loose weight rather than gain.

I ran into my old boss a few years ago and he said to me;"Wow I did not recoginize you" You look like sh*t".
        Oddly I thanked him. (I am tired of hearing how good I look. I own a mirror and can see what I look like.) I thanked him for being honest and told him I feel just like I look.
        We had a quick chat and I have not seen him since.
        It is strange. Most people try to act like they can see no change. This sort of irritates me. It seems to dismiss what we deal with and does nothing to validate that we are in a struggle with our health.

It was nice to talk to someone that did not feel the need to sugar coat the situation.

Hey Tom! - You look like sh*t.... Thanks!- I feel like sh*t also.

Comment

Never was.

Funny 1936. I have noticed a voice change also.
          Although always deep, it has been a little raspy and weak of late. I'm sure it is the drugs.

Comment

I have not noticed a change in my voice but a withdrawal from some of the people I used to talk to.

Comment

I am less talkative & more withdrawn. My voice is fine, it's this darn cog fog.

I've always been awkward socially but I seem to not say the correct thing more often. Solution is don't talk The only way I guarantee not saying something hurtful, rude or awkward (cog fog has lifted the filter, or at least poked holes in it).
              DX 10/2008
              Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
              Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
              Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have noticed that I have become less talkative also.
                I avoid people because I don't want to discuss how I am feeling with everyone and their dog anymore. I'm tired of it.
                I am also very self conscious of my lack of ability to remember words once and a while and the slurring of my speech that has kindly joined the mix of crappy symptoms just within the last couple of weeks.
                DX 10/26/11

Comment

No Talking

If I'm feeling bad (which has been most of the summer) I'm not talkative at all. I don't pick up the phone and return calls with texts. It takes much more energy to have random conversations when my brain is prossesing slower. My throat also feels constricted and my voice is hard to hear. I feel like it's inflamation, which usually comes with painfull eyes, nausea, balance issues, fatigue, and being extra sensative to any stimulation (leaf blowers are the worst!).
                  People know I'm not great when I text "No talk today, will catch up later". You are not alone

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the responses. I talk softly most people don't hear me right away. Going back as far as early teens I think my voice got softer and sometimes it is an effort to force out sound. Kinda how your legs can get heavy when tired or walking awhile and it's hard to move them.

Now with that, I have this feeling of wanting to retreat. I still want to be around some people, some family, some friends, but not really talk.

I do better with texting or im'ing. Maybe it's because I can proof???

I guess I am more aware of saying the wrong word, out of order, mis pronounce, or the dreaded slurring all of which started about a year ago.

My BF corrects me too much and hurts my feelings. Saying things like "you should say it this way" or "use this word". Or even smirks or laughs. Even though I have tried to tell him that with MS I can make mistakes and I can not help it and correcting me all the time won't keep me from saying it wrong.

Probably another reason I am not as talkative when I get home.... Or am I too sensitive?

Thank you again for making me feel not so alone in what I am going through.

Comment

Originally posted by Toomnyhats View Post
                      I am less talkative & more withdrawn. My voice is fine, it's this darn cog fog.

I've always been awkward socially but I seem to not say the correct thing more often. Solution is don't talk The only way I guarantee not saying something hurtful, rude or awkward (cog fog has lifted the filter, or at least poked holes in it).
                      -- ROFLMAO. My filter has more than a few holes in it. .
                      I talk less because I sometimes use words incorrectly, or cannot remember them at all. I hate looking like a big ol dummy, so I just stay quiet. On my good days watch out... I'll talk to a mannequin in a clothing store if they will listen.

LBJ

Comment

I've never been a big talker- but now there are times when I just don't have the energy to talk. And if I have to repeat something--jeez- I'd rather save all that energy for walking!!

Then there are the times when the words don't always come out the way I want them to, or I say the opposite of what I'm thinking. From what I have read, this is pretty common with ms.

Hey- on the good side- we don't have to talk to the people we'd rather not talk to anyway!!

Comment

I got written up for this on my evaluation last year "Not communicating with co workers: Crap, I've done this job for 20 years and it's a one person job which no one else knows how to do so what do I need to talk about? Think it's just a forwarning of the evaluation I will get this year. It's sad to live in a country who does not judge you by the work quality that you do but by age and minor health problems. Trust is no longer in the work place for me so the less I say the less it is likely to be thrown back in my face. My little $50.00 ipod is the best thing I have purchased in a long long time. We listen to each other all day.

Comment

I find my problem with speech very embarrassing, to the point I avoid meeting people ( so much for finding a g/f, lol) That, and using my cane to walk is still hard for me to accept, even after 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                            X