Relieving Leg Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relieving Leg Pain

So, I consider y'all the experts in tricks to alleviate symptoms...

Anyway, I have rather wretched pain in my legs -- the pain is hard to describe; it's deep and burn-y and ache-y and thump-y; oh, I don't know how to really describe it; it makes me cry sometimes -- and the pain is exacerbated by walking (which I do regularly for exercise, despite the pain).

My doctor has me on gabapentin, but I am taking a low dose (200mg at bedtime) because my job requires mental acuity and the stuff makes me feel like I'm on drugs. It helps a tiny bit with the pain and buzzing. Sort of. It doesn't seem that useful.

So, does anyone have any tips for alleviating this weird leg pain? I have also tried stretching and flailing my legs around wildly, with no success. Yelling at and threatening my legs has also proven unsuccessful.

Thank you!

Leg pain is one of my biggest symptoms and not easily treated. As a last resort, I take Tramadol, put my legs up on pillows, and put an ice pack on them. It us usually my lower legs after standing and walking all day.

Comment

Kat-- Thank you! I will give the elevation/icing a try. I really appreciate the tip. The pain has been difficult for me to manage, and I am currently -- stubbornly -- unwilling to give up my hiking and long walks.

I have to say, It's so weird having pain that Advil doesn't cure. I am constantly amazed/baffled by the nervous system.

So it goes.

Comment

Leg Pain is Quite Hard to Manage

Hi Derrie!

Yes, I am right there with you. My legs have been hurting since April 2010 and the pain has just not gone away. Some days are better than others, but I too find it very hard to manage. Derri, I could have an very long dialog with you on this very issue...it is what makes me think about my MS everyday throughout the day! Here are some thoughts on this issue that I would like to share...

- I seem to have no problem making my legs move or getting them to go where I want to go. However, the pain is constant...there are just various degrees of the pain. Beside the ache in both legs, I have burning pain from time to time in my right calf...several times it has been so bad I was nauseous. I can no longer wear any shoes with a heel or my leg pain is significantly worse. (Goodbye fashionable work pumps and high heel black boots!)

- It is not just pain alone, but fatigue...most days my legs feel like I hiked a mountain. It is very discouraging to wake up and feel like I climbed a 14er in my sleep. (Or at least that is how I describe it to my DH.)

- I work in a sales position and have to go out on appointments...it is now getting harder to walk from point a to point b and that is starting to get me afraid of the future and my ability to perform in my job. Now I notice all handicap doors, walkways, etc....I am nervous if it will all become too much too soon.

- Like you, I was very active and haven't even attempted to hike...I am afraid of getting a mile down a trail and not be able to get back. My daughters are at the age that we thought we would be hiking and climbing 14ers...it is really just not going to happen. I am experiencing a lot of grief and loss of those dreams with my girls and of us as a family. That said, I can still bike. I ride my mountain bike, but haven't attempted the single track trails in the foothills or mountains. Maybe.....still not sure. I did ski this past spring for the first time in years (didn't ski when my girls were young) through the National Center for the Disabled at Winter Park. It was GREAT! (The Center afforded me the ability to get down if I wasn't physically able...that took away my fear and apprehension of trying to ski again.) It was pure joy and a great gift to see my daughters ski and to then ski with them and my husband!!

- Gabapentin...I take 300 mg at bedtime and wonder if I should increase it to 2x per day. I think the gabapentin helps with the tingling pain, but not the deep ache in my thighs, calves and glutes. My doc did prescribe Amitriptylene...I think that has helped take the edge off. On days that the pain is really bad, I take some Klonopin at bedtime...that really seems to help the pain and I get a good night's sleep.

- Exercise seems to make my pain worse...even just stretching. I can no longer run...the pain following is too bad. My DH and I played tennis the other day for the first time in a couple years...it was fun and the endorphins took the pain away, but later...Bam! the pain was back.

- My friends think I am fine because they can't see my pain. Many social friends don't understand, so I don't tell them anymore. I just hear how great I look. At least I look good, huh? :-) No, really...I am glad about that!

If there was anything I could change about my MS sxs...yes, I have others....it would be to get rid of the pain. The pain makes MS hard for me to manage everyday. Sorry so long... thanks for listening and letting me share.

Comment

Oh wow, MGM, reading your post actually brought tears to my eyes. In a good way, though. It's surreal: the way you describe your leg pain is EXACTLY my experience. How you generally can move OK, but there's a constant pain that changes, depending on the circumstance. And especially the deep ache (just in my calves right now) that the gabapentin doesn't do a thing for. And how exercise makes it work. And how I can't run.

One thing I have been worried about is how will I ski this winter if the pain continues, and your story about the Center at Winter Park gives me a spark of joy (thank you for that!). I just moved to Montana this summer, and I have been itching to ski Big Sky, so I'm hoping I'm able to do that. Thanks for the inspiration.

Oh, and I just figured out today that biking doesn't hurt as much. I usually walk everywhere I go (small town, I rarely drive), but that has become hard to do with the pain, so I broke out my trusty old bike, and it was a great alternative. I hope to get out and keep getting exercise that way. Though it's AFTER the exercise that it seems to hurt the worst.

Thank you so so so much for sharing your experience (don't worry about the length; I appreciated the detail). This is all very new to me, and to hear that someone else is sharing a similar experience -- even though I very much wish neither of us had to experience this darn leg pain -- gives me some comfort. Makes me feel like I'm not crazy.

Thank you!

Comment

Keep going

in whatever way you can as long as you can, Derrie. Bicycling helped me a lot for quite a few years.

Now, exercise of any kind makes it worse. To top it off, I have moderately severe Degenerative Disk Disease, so I'm up a creek without a paddle!

Some days are tougher than others. Luckily, if I'm sitting down I usually feel 'normal', like I could run a marathon! The reality is quite a different story, though.

Comment

Originally posted by derrie View Post
              So, I consider y'all the experts in tricks to alleviate symptoms...

Anyway, I have rather wretched pain in my legs -- the pain is hard to describe; it's deep and burn-y and ache-y and thump-y; oh, I don't know how to really describe it; it makes me cry sometimes -- and the pain is exacerbated by walking (which I do regularly for exercise, despite the pain).

My doctor has me on gabapentin, but I am taking a low dose (200mg at bedtime) because my job requires mental acuity and the stuff makes me feel like I'm on drugs. It helps a tiny bit with the pain and buzzing. Sort of. It doesn't seem that useful.

So, does anyone have any tips for alleviating this weird leg pain? I have also tried stretching and flailing my legs around wildly, with no success. Yelling at and threatening my legs has also proven unsuccessful.

Thank you!

Have you tried an anti-spasticity med? You mentioned the pain was worse when walking, and spasticity sometimes get worse the more you walk. Ask your neuro to let you try an anti-spasticity med (Baclofen or Zanaflex) to see if they give you some relief.

They do have the side effect of drowsiness, but sometimes in low doses that doesn't kick in. You could at least try it for after you get home from work and don't need to be as mentally "sharp."

Comment

rdmc--

I have not tried anti-spasticity meds. My neurologist didn't bring that up. I have another appointment with him next week, so I'll ask him about it then. Thank you for the tip. It is much appreciated!

Comment

derrie, it was so helpful to me to see that I am not alone in the leg pain journey. I am sad and sorry that you have to go through this too. I try to continue to be hopeful that this leg pain might go back into hiding again...hopefully soon! My MS has been around for a long time, even though my dx was only two years ago, so there is hope.

What DMD if any are you on? I am on Copaxone (2 yrs.) and I sometime wonder if that drug could cause it. (Yes, always looking to find the solution.) I am considering Tysabri and have neuro appointment next month to consider options. I am JCV positive, so I would probably just do it for a year.

I biked again yesterday for 75 minutes with some women friends. The pace was quick but I kept up okay. When I got home, my dog was bugging me for a walk, so I walked her 20 minutes. Needless to say, I was EXHAUSTED last night...took some Kloponin because my body was so fatigued I couldn't sleep.

Hope you biking adventure went well. It would be hard to live in Montana and not enjoy the outdoor adventures of that great state!

MGM

Comment

Hi, MGM!

I think finding each other (and each other's leg pain!) was helpful for us both. Yay MSWorld, eh? I do not yet have a diagnosis of anything. I had a brief flare up of similar symptoms to what I have now about 7 months ago, then they faded, leaving only some minor tingling. Then, a few weeks ago, they came back-- different and worse! With this awful pain, and some weakness/reflex issues. So anyway, my neurologist said he thinks I have lesions or a tumor (um, yay?) on my spine has me set up for MRIs and an LP if those are inconclusive.

So, that is the long answer to your question: right now, I am not on a DMD because I don't yet know exactly what's wrong with me, beyond my symptoms.

Yesterday, I walked to and from work (three miles each way) and took my dog for an extra long walk. Boy, did I pay for that. I had to spend the rest of the night on the couch with my legs elevated, and barely could get up to crawl into bed (where -- you guessed it -- I couldn't sleep).

Today, I walked to and from work again (I am stubborn about getting some exercise), and I can really feel it. Since biking went so well for me over the weekend as a way to get around (less pain than after walking), I may just start biking to and from work.

Glad you got out to bike! Sorry there was pain after, but it sounds like the ride was fun!

And don't worry-- I'll figure out how to enjoy Montana's beauty one way or another. No matter what.

Comment

Someone had also posted in another thread that they wrap a heating pad around their legs - not for too long, only long enough to sort of penetrate the muscle - and it helps a bit.
                      Diagnosis: May, 2008
                      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

WELL I BEEN HAVING LEG PAIN IN HIP AND THIGHS ALL THE WAY DOWN FORR THIS WHOLE YEAR. AND I STILL HURT AND CANT FIND ANYTHIGN TO HELP.

I AM ON BOTH GABY OF 800 3X AND 30MG BACO 3X A DAY AND CYMBALTA AT NIGHT. MY JOINTS HURT AND THEN FEET FEEL COLD ALL THE TIME SO I DONT KNOW WHAT TO TRY NEXT TO HELP THEM.

I HAVE HEARD EPSON SALT LUKE WARM BATH HELP, BUT THEY MAKE MY LEGS JELLO AND VERY WEAK.

I ALSO GET MONTHLY MASSAGES BUT THEY WORK FOR ONE DAY.

IM THINKING OF ACCUPUNTURE NEXT OR I HAVE SEEN COMMERCIALS ON DEBITIC NERVE PAIN ON LOWER LEGS TO SEE IF THAT HELPS.

IT SUCK WHEN I SLEEP MY BED IS LIFTED UP A LITTLE BECAUSE I GOT GERD REALLY BAD LAST YEAR.

I WANT ONE OF THE BEDS THAT LIFT IN BACK AND FEET BUT ARE REALLY EXPENSIVE.
                        Billy
                        Dx: 09/2004
                        09/2011- oooppppssss still have it.

Comment

derrie, I am sad that you are going through this at such a young age. Please post to let me know if you get a dx as I really hope that you can find out what is causing you such difficulty. (My email is in my profile too.)

Thanks so much everyone for this discussion. Spydre, I like your idea of a heating pad...I am going to try that the next day that my legs are really bad. Sometimes my feet feel like they are cold, but my DH says that they are not...the feel so cold that they hurt. wriser, I have tried massage and acupuncture....you are right, they just help for the day. I am now working on mediation for pain. If I find a good solution that really works, I will post...but for right now that is my newest idea.

MS is such a crazy disease.....thank goodness for MS World!

Comment

Originally posted by wriser View Post
                            WELL I BEEN HAVING LEG PAIN IN HIP AND THIGHS ALL THE WAY DOWN FORR THIS WHOLE YEAR. AND I STILL HURT AND CANT FIND ANYTHIGN TO HELP.
                            wriser,

Have you had your gait (walking) evaluated by a Physical Therapist? If you are not walking correctly or compensating (favoring) one side over another this will cause leg/hip pain.

For those whose leg(s) ache or are stiff (spasticity) sometimes heat such as a heating pad to the affected area or an electric blanket wrapped around your leg(s) can help ease some of the pain and stiffness (spasticity)
                            Diagnosed 1984
                            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by MyGirlsMom View Post
                              derrie, I am sad that you are going through this at such a young age. Please post to let me know if you get a dx as I really hope that you can find out what is causing you such difficulty. (My email is in my profile too.)
                              MGM-- I appreciate the support, thank you so much! Trust me, I'm a little annoyed with my 30-year-old body for being this troublesome. I have had some other medical issues this year, too. I just keep reminding myself: at least I've met my deductible!

Thanks so much everyone for this discussion. Spydre, I like your idea of a heating pad...I am going to try that the next day that my legs are really bad. Sometimes my feet feel like they are cold, but my DH says that they are not...the feel so cold that they hurt. wriser, I have tried massage and acupuncture....you are right, they just help for the day. I am now working on mediation for pain. If I find a good solution that really works, I will post...but for right now that is my newest idea.
                              I found the heat worked while I had the heat on my legs but not after. I tried a shallow, warm bath (I don't have a heating pad), and while I was in it, I couldn't feel the pain, and my legs felt more relaxed and more comfortable and more like my legs! But after I got out, they hurt again, though maybe a little less-- I ended up going to bed right after.

MS is such a crazy disease.....thank goodness for MS World!
                              Thank goodness, indeed!

Comment

Working...
                              X