Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water

Not too sure where to post this, so put it wherever it goes

Now, I am a water fiend. It goes with me wherever I go, and my 1 liter bottle gets filled I don't know how many times a day.
    So I was just wondering... How much IS enough?? And how much is too much??? (I know there is a too much)

Thanks!!!!
    Heather

According to the Mayo Clinic, 2 liters per day is enough to keep you well hydrated under normal circumstances. That's 2 liters of fluid, not 2 liters of water. All liquids count toward the total. It's also approximately 8 8 oz. glasses of fluid per day.

Extreme heat, heavy exercise etc. will increase the amount of fluid you need to take in.

Getting overhydrated, or "water intoxication," is rare but does happen and can be fatal. You have to drink a lot to be in the danger zone, though.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Comment

Especially important in hot weather

When you may not feel like drinking.
      I craved a diet Coke the other day and found drinking it interfered with getting enough water. It was the caffeinated kind.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Heather,

just checking, but have you had your blood sugar tested? Being thirsty all the time could indicate diabetes. But you might just like water.

BigA

Comment

Hi BigA

No worries there, I have had my blood sugar tested a few times in the past few years (one of them mandatory during pregnancy)
          I just really really like water.... It good for ALMOST everything!!!

Comment

I drink alkaline water. Alkaline has a higher pH level than does tap water. I believe alkaline water can neutralize acid in your body, boost your energy level and metabolism, and help your body absorb nutrients more effectively. Others say that alkaline water can help you resist disease and slow the aging process. However, researchers haven't verified these claims.

Some research does suggest that alkaline water may slow bone loss, but further study is needed to determine if the positive effects can be maintained over the long term or influence bone mineral density overall.

I have purchased (and now sell) a machine that converts tap water to ionized alkaline (Kangen) Water. To learn more see my bio page for a web url. You have the right idea...no way for good clean (akaline) water to hurt you.
            [I]Tellnhelen
            Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
              According to the Mayo Clinic, 2 liters per day is enough to keep you well hydrated under normal circumstances. That's 2 liters of fluid, not 2 liters of water. All liquids count toward the total. It's also approximately 8 8 oz. glasses of fluid per day.

Extreme heat, heavy exercise etc. will increase the amount of fluid you need to take in.

Getting overhydrated, or "water intoxication," is rare but does happen and can be fatal. You have to drink a lot to be in the danger zone, though.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
              Some medications can hasten this effect - Trileptal is one of them. I went through a period last summer where I was "overhydrated" and had low sodium levels. Nothing was worse than being thirsty and having to fight the urge to drink.
              Diagnosis: May, 2008
              Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Spyder,
                How did you find out you were over hydrated??? I know you must have had blood tests and what not, but are there any signs or symptoms you had that led you to getting the bloodtests??

Comment

I can't remember what prompted my doc to do the electrolyte testing - it may have been an increased heart rate, but I'm not sure.

Comment

I know what prompted the testing

Come to think of it, I know what prompted the testing. There were two things - ketones in my urine, and a low grade fever - both of which indicated that I was dehydrated. So they ran the metabolic profile. Turns out, the day the ketones were detected I WAS dehydrated, and the low grade fever, they passed that off as my body temperature simply adjusting itself for the warmer weather. And then, as now, I'm on at least two medications (Trileptal - Tegretol does too - and amitryptiline that can cause hyponatremia.

The problem isn't that you don't have enough sodium in your body, it's just that the sodium is lessened in concentration because of the amount of water in your body. Basically, my doctor's office told me to stop drinking so much. But I didn't really drink that much in the first place. On average I'd say I drank 48 ounces per day at time, give or take 12 ounces.

Comment

A P/T told me that a person should drink 1/2 there body weight in water in ounces each day. Thus, I weight 125 lbs., so I should drink about 60 ounces of plain water per day. (Coffee, tea, etc. don't count!) I have been trying to do that...

Comment

place this question in tara's nutrition center

Good discussion about overhydration and low sodium levels.

Tara, if I remember right, made the same suggestion somewhat like half your body weight in plane water.

I am pretty close to drinking that and I have had issues with low sodium level but I had a major infection going on during that time. I found myself craving high sodium foods during that time.

Once I got past that certain phase of the infection my cravings for high sodium foods left.

I continued drinking my plane water during that time because I wanted to flush all the toxins out of my body with the infection and all the meds. But, this is not an area to mess with.
                        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I also LOVE water. At work I drink about 4 32 oz glasses a day. If I am doing house work or physical stuff (hardly ever anymore Ha-Ha) I drinks lots more. Best thing ever.
                          Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

If you are really concerned, a urologist can do an "output" study to be sure that you are producing enough urine . . .

I don't drink enough fluids. Found this out after kidneystones and output study.

However, I don't like to drink water most of the time; and when I drink anything - even water - I get filled up and bloated and then I don't want to eat anything and I don't feel good.

The uro told me to try to find a good balance. So, I'm doing the best I can.

Comment

Working...
                            X