BENEFIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BENEFIT

I just found out some people I know are having a benefit for me in a couple mos. I have very mixed emotions on this and wondering what y'all think?

I think it's great that you have such supportive friends. Maybe you could use part of the evening to use as a "teaching moment" about MS. Contact your local NMSS Chapter and ask for literature that could be displayed on a table.

Relax and have fun.

Comment

What are your mixed emotions? It sounds like you have some caring friends who want to help you. Are they raising money to give to you? If you don't need it, you could donate it to the NMSS, Myelin Repair Foundation, MSAA, or some other MS organization.
      Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift!

Comment

I just am having a hard time accepting it is for me. I have a poor conception on whom a benefit should be held for, and I am denial that that is where I am already. I was just diadnosed april of this year. I also dont want all the people who dont know to judge me for it. Thanks for your responses. I do feel very lucky to have such caring people in my life, just cant believe it is me that people are raising money for, not me raising for someone else. Any other ideas on how to bring awareness? I like that idea...

Comment

I, too, would hate to be the center of such an event. Are you having money problems?

Comment

Contact your local NMSS Chapter and ask for literature. They might even have some MS freebies you could hand out. Or ask if they can send someone from their office to set up an informational table. If you can, play "The Show Must Go On " (I think it's on you tube) which as done by a person with MS. It's a great video and not that long.

The Chapter in Oklahoma has "props" like rubber gloves, googles with vaseline on them to represent blurred vision - basically, so people can "try" on some of the symptoms that MSers live with.

Comment

QUOTE=NYJenn;1317627]I, too, would hate to be the center of such an event. Are you ha

Yes, I am. I just took out an $8000 loan to prevent a lot of bills to go to collections(mostly medical places) I have insurance but my meds cost a fortune. And completely unrelated to MS but I have 2 little boys I am trying to raise/pay for that is increasingly more difficult to do. I am still working, and so there-for unqualified to get any help from the state or anywhere else. Because MS is what I have though, a lot of people look at me oddly, thinking that I should be fine because on most days, you can't "see" anything is wrong with me. Still having very mixed emotions on this.....

Comment

I am a giver and that is what I enjoy doing BUT I have learned to be a gracious receiver as well. It took me a long time to learn that I am robbing some one else's joy of giving if I do not receive. We learn lessons in some really strange ways but to me this is a lesson learned! In this economy you know if someone gives it is definately from the heart!

Comment

If you're completely bothered by this, why don't you see if you can encourage others to set it up so you're not the only one that benefits?

I was recently involved in an organization project that set out to help a specific family. No one wanted to embarrass the family by revealing their issues. Instead they set up a benefit fund that would help meet their needs. That family has been helped, but so too have five or six other families struggling with the same problems.

Just throwing an idea out there

Comment

Give Thanks

JDWink-About 18 mos ago, I opted to do an expensive medical procedure (adult stem cells) overseas. It required 2trips overseas plus the procedure. I asked my sister to go with me to Israel. My DH would accompany me on the 2nd trip. I had a small inheritance but not enough to cover everything.

My sister, without my knowledge, emailed friend of mine, friends of hers (that I don't even know) and told them what I was doing and could they help. How she found some of my friends, I don't know, but she did. Anyway, she raised over $8,000. I would never have asked anyone for help. I would have sold everything I own before I would ask for help. My DH is the same way.

I wrote every last person real thank you notes. It was a very humbling experience, but worth it in the end.

Comment

My DH is the same way.

Mine is too. It makes it even harder to accept because he hates the idea of the "pity-party" as he calls it. I am going to use the oppurtunity, however, to bring awareness. Noone seems to really have any idea what MS is, even though everyone seems to know someone who has it, and wants to contribute there "I don't know why YOU'RE so bad when MY cousin has had it for years and is doing great" schpeel... anyways, thanks to everyone who has responded. And as far as the thank you's go, I have already started

Comment

Working...
                      X