disability Ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disability Ins

My apology, I know this thread is for SSDI discussions but I just have to vent. I applied for SSDI Dec 2009 and was denied, am currently waiting an appeal. Meanwhile I've been drawing disability from ins with my former employer. Today I was sent to "a third party" neurologist by the ins for a second opinion. I knew beforehand that this neurologist was not my friend and was being paid by the ins to find in their favor. The jerk tried to convince me and my husband that I do not have MS, that my MRI was negative therefore no disease exists! I all but called my treating neurologist a fraud. I anticipate my benefits will be cancelled. Oh I am so going to need a lawyer! Having MS is such a party, yes it's worth the token disability I receive. Saddest of all I wish he was right so I could go back to work and my real life.

Just curious, what insurance company are you with?
    Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

My short term disability was with Fidelity and it took a lawyer more than a year to get the 12 weeks owed me. My long term disability is with ING and I've been drawing about 18 months. My coverage is supposed to last until my anticipated retirement age of 65. FAT chance of me getting any more without a lawyer. Who are you with, Weeble?

Comment

Hello, mtnwillows and webbles. I actually had a medical expert at a hearing do the same thing - testify that my client really did not have MS. It is a very disconcerting thing. If you do need to hire a lawyer because this doctor gives an opinion contrary to the medical evidence, I certainly would discuss this issue with your lawyer. Good luck to you and thank you for posting!

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Thank you, Rich. I saw a neurologist today for SSDI. She seemed sympathetic about my level of disability and voiced intent to "help me". Now I realize that the decision is not hers to make, but if she makes a recommendation for approval approximately how long before I can expect to hear from SS regarding their decision?

Comment

just need to vent

I was approved for ssdi in July, no problems it went through in about 3 months. My problem is with my works ltd ins company. They denied my disability, my case manager told me to just go back to work. He said to me, you were working before with these problems so just go back. I was stunned at the way he talked to me, like I was trying to get over on the ins. company. I paid their premium without question every month and now they dont want to pay me when I really need it. SSDI sent me for a cog test that I failed and I think that is the reason I received my ssdi so quickly. I have since sent all my paperwork ssdi had for my approval to Ins. company. Would like to hear from anyone with similar issues, maybe this is not the right site for this, if so I appologize.

Comment

disabilty insurance

I have LTD, but I applied for SSD instead. Will it hurt my claim for SSD if I use my LTD in the meantime?
              I have heard that you cannot receive from both. I'll need medicare benefits....
              Thanks for your help, Cathy

Comment

my LTD will be offset by the amt of the ssdi. look at your contract or call your LTD carrier.

Comment

Cat, LTD is meant to cover you (a safety net, if you will) until you reach retirement age. What that actually means is, GENERALLY, you will be able to receive full LTD (usually around 2/3 of your base rate of pay) up to the time your disability is approved and SSDI is awarded. At that time, your LTD will be reduced to an amount that is indicated in the policy. This usually means that the combination of your SSDI and LTD combined will not exceed the amount of your LTD prior to SSDI approval.

So you will get your full SSDI award, plus LTD until you reach 65 (or whatever your retirement age would be according to your year of birth).

With MOST companies, you will also be able to purchase COBRA insurance OR pay for your company policy out of pocket until you are eligible for Medicare. You must be disabled two years before Medicare kicks in.

The thing some people don't realize is that at your 'normal' retirement age or 65 (depends on the policy), the LTD payments stop.

HOWEVER, once that happens, you can then work and earn around $800/month while still receiving SSDI.

The sticky point comes if you try to work while on LTD. Some insurance companies will go to battle and try to stop your LTD if you work AT ALL while receiving payments from them.

DH had no end of trouble with Genworth until he showed them in his policy that he is allowed to make $500/month under THEIR OWN POLICY. DH had to prove that while he can work a few hours a week, there is no way according to his doctors that he can work full-time, and he is not employable by any companies with insurance due to his health history. Now, they monitor him to the penny and he has to send in monthly reports of the work he does and the money he is paid. If it is over $500/month, they reduce his LTD check $1 for every $2 over $500 he earns.

Comment

wish I has your LTD. Doing research I discovered mine is only for 2 years. Haven't had to use it yet but glad I checked.
                    Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

thanks for your help - I didn't know I had to wait 2 years for Medicare - I guess I will be one of many uninsured folks
                      Thanks for your help, Cathy

Comment

Originally posted by catwhite555 View Post
                        thanks for your help - I didn't know I had to wait 2 years for Medicare - I guess I will be one of many uninsured folks
                        Not necessarily. Please check with your company's benefits counselor. There are still some companies (although they seem to get fewer every year) who will keep you on their insurance for a small fee once you're 'vested' in their retirement plan. Unfortunately, mine is not one of them. If I go on disability, I will have to pay about $400/mo for health insurance until Medicare kicks in.

I guess the idea is not to make it easy for people to claim disability, but that's not much comfort when I have to drag myself out of bed every morning to get to work!

Comment

Originally posted by webbles 989898 View Post
                          wish I has your LTD. Doing research I discovered mine is only for 2 years. Haven't had to use it yet but glad I checked.
                          Weebles, you might want to check on that. They will usually let you be on LTD for UP TO 2 years. Then, the payments will stop UNLESS you apply for SSDI. They generally start 'encouraging' you to apply for SSDI at about the one year mark.

It all depends on your company's plan. I always encourage everyone to check with your benefits counselor to be sure you understand you company's plan. It may be that their plan ends after 2 years, but I would double-check that if I were you. That is not common in my state.

Comment

Hello, mtnwillow and everyone. Mtnwillow, you had asked a question which I had not previously responded to. How long it takes depends upon what level of the administrative process your claim is pending. The initial and reconsideration levels can take around 3 months or so. The hearing level is where there are some backlogs. Depending upon the hearing office, the delay can be a year or more.

Rich
                            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
                            X