Wiring when typing backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring when typing backwards?

Okay, this is a new symptom. I used to be a secretary, so I've always been a touch typist, but with the MS of course my rate has slowed down as my left hand has been affected, and even though I probably type as much now, if not more, than when I worked, my accuracy has gone waaaay down.

But this is new. I'll be typing, and all of the sudden, thrown into the mix, is a letter typed by the opposite hand - same fingering, same position (say for example n instead of b). It's like for a moment (or sometimes a few moments), my wiring gets reversed. Have any of you experienced this?
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

typing

When I had a relapse, my left side was very affected. I am left handed so it has had a BIG impact on me. I do a lot of things right handed now because my left side was so weak. Used to be able to touch type too. Though now I have to watch that my left hand hits the keys hard enough to go down.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

yes, that has happened to me, too. and I'm becoming a devotee of ee cummings, who used no caps, because my left pinky has a very hard time hitting shift instead of cap locks, and I don't want to type in all caps.

By the way, I had to delete about six or seven times to type this much.
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Fine motor coordination and dexterity is what gets affected with the fingers. On top of that, a lot has to do with sensation, fatigue --yes even those little muscles in the hand tire too, and other issues.

I confess, I have the same problems! Usually it occurs on keyboards I'm not used to, keys that are getting too hard to press down or too small, or well, it just happens. It feels like my brain is going and the fingers just follow along. Often the mind allows us to 'auto correct' around our deficits or we just make mistakes and correct them.

I try to slow down my typing, checking keyboard set up (there are so many styles and sensitivities) and seeing how my wrists are supported. Often we fight gravity to have our hands in a certain position that just makes things more difficult. Sometime wresting the wrist on a nice gel cushion can make a difference. Just don't rest them too much where you compress nerves, then that becomes a whole new ball game!

Any suggestions/feedback to add?
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Thanks. I do have a gel wrist rest, otherwise my wrists would be pressing down on the desk. It's just so frustrating to me - typing used to be how I earned my living, and now not only am I getting these backward entries, but I'm making so many other typing mistakes.
          Diagnosis: May, 2008
          Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

not exactally the same problem, but i do have trouble typing. i never have been a very good typist but im trying to become better. i do have to look at the keyboard alot but i know the relatove position of the keys so im beyond hunt amd peck.

but, again its my left, my left hand has tremors when doing fine motor movements. making it hard to type when you hand is shaky and/or pounding uncontrollably on the keyboard
            Learn from yesterday
            Live for today
            Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Working...
            X