Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TMJ?

Hi Susan,

For about a week now, everytime i open my mouth more than to speak or to sip a straw (ie: yawn, bite into a burger, etc...) I got a searing pain ripping up the side of my head.

I went to the dentist after 4 days of it and she has said I likely have TMJ. They're suggesting a nightguard (at a cost of $500!) and other therapies. Friends have suggested a chiropractor might be able to make it better.

I had never heard of TMJ before now... and am at a complete loss. Any thoughts or suggestions?

mouth guard

I got the mouth guard from my dentist, and it broke after about 7 years. I hated putting that gook in to take an impression, so I bought the over the counter ones you bite into after boiling. I have to cut off a bit on the ends of the curve cuz I have a very strong gag reflex. That is all I use now.

The kind I like the best is called "The Doctor's Night Guard" . I think they are about $15-20 each. I had night terrors before, and this stopped them. So did the dentists, but $500 compared to $20 a year.... no contest.
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I don't have TMJ, however, I do use a series of exercises for TMJ given to me by my dentist. I use them whenever I'm feeling jaw pain which is from grinding my teeth at night. I also have a soft nightguard, yep it cost a fortune.

The exercises are really helpful. I've had a hard time finding a nightguard that works well. My current one is the best so far, but I am having jaw pain just from wearing a night guard. I'm confused about that!

Did your dentist give you any info on exercises for this?

Comment

Could it be...

trigeminal neuralgia? You should consider that as a possibility as opposed to TMJ.

Melissa
        Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

I know there are some physical therapists who can help with that. Talk with your doctor and see if you can get a PT prescription. Call facilities you can go to, to see if there is/are therapists who can treat TMJ.
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

This does sound like trigeminal neuralgia, I have it and the symptoms are alike..... I massage my jaw muscles when they get tense, it is painful but does seem to help- maybe I just convince myself of that

Comment

Working...
            X