Vestibular therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vestibular therapy

I have been having balance issues and slight constant dizziness,spaced out,like I am floating. Was treated with steroids with not much improvement, so i was sent for a VNG test. Some part of it was abnormal.

Now being sent for therapy, dr thinking it is an inner ear problem. I also had left facial numbness with all of this. I still think it is all MS related. My question, If the nerves that control ,balance, ears anything for equilibrium would the VNG be abnormal and can VT help people with MS?

There are therapists specifically trained in VT. There are numerous assessments they perform and based on findings, provide a thorough treatment plan.

Audiologists are good for testing for inner ear. Sometimes it's a matter of resetting crystals in the inner ear which is done with certain head positions. Therapists perform those exercises as well.

I would definitely ask for a therapist with specific training (if possible) as I've seen very good results.

MS can cause several issues relating to balance and you never know what underlying issues there may be (in addition to ear).

Take time for an evaluation with a therapist. Bring a list of questions if you have any. I think you'll benefit from therapy.

Let me know how things go
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

susan, I saw a VT today. She is almost 100% sure I hav BPPV. mY eye movements when laying me back were nopt real prominent. she did it 3x and saw eye movements the 3rd time. With my sx, shewthinks I may have a crystal stuck rather than floating. I have a constant dazed, unfocused, slightly dizzy sensation, not boughts of vertigo. She did therapy today , not seeing any change yet. go back next week. how long till i see some improvement?

Comment

Hope you have positive results with that, Jackiey.

My first MS flare involved stroke-like symptoms that landed me in the ER, along with severe dizziness that lasted for months.

My PT had some training, but no experience with VT (vestibular therapy). Over time, though, she was able to determine the problem (not inner-ear for me, I don't think), and "re-train my brain" to "tolerate" the movements that triggered the dizziness, by giving me specific exercises that "mimicked" those movements, and allowing me to do them at a pace and a frequency that I could tolerate.

I was so grateful for the success. I had been so severely dizzy that, for months, I spent most of my time reclined in a recliner, because even sitting upright made me dizzy. Many activities made me so dizzy that I became nauseous; some made me so dizzy that I would vomit. The dizziness was more disabling for me than than mobility issues (which were also not minor) that I experienced on my left side. It was, originally, those, for which I was referred to PT.

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Good luck with...

BPPV. My first MS symptom was dizziness. I was told you have BPPV, that was last September. In Dec I was sent for a VNG by the ENT to confirm if I had a CNS or inner ear problem, my VNG was was abnormal, but my ears were just fine. I had left downbeat nystagmus. The in-office maneuvers where they look at your eyes...mine were normal. In March I was diagnosed with MS. I had that dizziness still and intermittant numbness on my right thigh and right toes. I would keep pursuing answers if your BPPV doesn't resolve soon especially if you are having facial numbness in addition to the dizziness.

Melissa
          Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

My experience with vertigo was not fun... I couldn't even finish the audiology exam! I wanted it fixed and fixed right away.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. It took several sessions of me lying flat on my back with my head hanging over the bed/mat in various positions. I also had cranio-sacral therapy. It did lesson rather quickly but took several weeks for it to go totally away.

Now when I get the sensation, I do the exercises and it seems to prevent further issues.
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X