Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical stimulation for bladder/perineal discomfort

Susan,

Six years ago, I was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder: frequency, urgency, hesitancy, retention, incontinence. I also had a terrible sensation like having poison oak inside my bladder. I did not have a bladder infection (luckily, I've never had one). I was already taking clonazepam prn RLS and found that it really helped with the bladder dysesthesia. Later, as a serendipitous result of developing shingles, I found that Lyrica helped with the neurogenic bladder sxs. My doctor said that this was probably because my sxs were due to bladder spasms.
    I still have the sxs; sometimes the discomfort extends to my perineum/inner thighs. Overall, though, the sxs are controlled pretty well by taking clonazepam and Lyrica every night.
    I am okay with that because the meds really do help, but they also affect my cognition and coordination, and who wants to take meds if they don't have to?
    I happened upon a non-MS site where someone said their gyn effectively treated her for perineal itching/burning with a little electroshock-type therapy using an electrode placed in their vagina, telling her that the sxs were due to spasms. I sort of dismissed the whole thing as hocus-pocus, but after reading about TENS in another post here, I wondered if this was an accepted therapy and if it might help with bladder spasms.
    I'd appreciate hearing your opinion.

There are several approaches to bladder, pelvic floor dysfunction (PFD) and other issues related to your symptoms.
    I know physical therapists can specialize in PFD as well as other healthcare professionals specializing in women's issues.

Symptoms of PFD include:
    Urinary urgency, frequency, hesitancy, stopping and starting of urine stream, painful urination, or incomplete emptying
    Constipation, straining, pain with bowel movements
    Unexplained pain in the low back, pelvic region, genital area, or rectum
    Pain during or after intercourse, orgasm, or sexual stimulation
    Uncoordinated muscle contractions causing the pelvic floor muscles to spasm

PT may start with external techniques including Skin rolling, Deep tissue massage often called “myofascial release”, Trigger-point therapy to release tight spots or “knots”, Nerve release, and Joint mobilization

Yes, they do use various devices including biofeedback, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, Interferential therapy and cold laser.

Perhaps you can look up in your area therapists/healthcare professionals that specialize in this treatment and talk to your doctor about this.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thank so much, Susan! I had no idea this help was available.

Comment

You're welcome. Good luck with things.
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X