Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Canada for love

Hi All,

I am 41 year old Australian and I have RRMS. I have had MS since my early twenties and I have been on Tysabri for the last two years.
    I am independent and I do not require nursing care etc.

I have fallen in love with a Canadian man, and I want to move to Canada ( Ontario) to be with him and to marry him.

I have no idea about the Canadian medical system as it relates to MS though.
    I have heard that Tysabri is considered a last line of treatment in Canada for those with MS, and that it is hard to get it subsidized.
    Tysabri is completely subsidized by the government in Australia.
    If I have to come off Tysabri due to not being able to access it anymore for financial reasons, are any of the injectibles subsidized by the Canadian government?

I was on Rebif prior to being on Tysabri.

Thanks so much for any information.

Shoshana
    Diagnosed RRMS 8/8/03
    Commenced Rebif 5/08
    Started Tysabri 5/09

Moving to Canada

I too have met an man from Canada and want to move here I am from the states and have many questions on how to go about it. any help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by rascal00 View Post
      I too have met an man from Canada and want to move here I am from the states and have many questions on how to go about it. any help would be greatly appreciated
      Good luck with your move.
      Diagnosed RRMS 8/8/03
      Commenced Rebif 5/08
      Started Tysabri 5/09

Comment

Well I had an MRI of my brain on thursday. I am very confident that there will be no new lesions, or any change from the last scan, coz I am confident like that, hehe.

I have been thinking about asking my neurologist if I can come off Tysabri, and go on Gilenya.

I am not sure about the situation with Gilenya in Canada either.

I will muddle through some how.
        Diagnosed RRMS 8/8/03
        Commenced Rebif 5/08
        Started Tysabri 5/09

Comment

Good morning, just read your post about moving to canada, and I was thinking, first, can your current doctor, get a referral to a canadian neurolgist in your area?
          You could check out the OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) to see what you need to do , to apply for health coverage here.
          You could go on the canadian site, called MSDISCUSS, they have some longtime people on there who might be able to guide you,
          My prescription is covered by my health plan at work, so I dont know what happens if you arent working, you could check with the website that makes your drug, to see if they have canadian subsidy information.
          Also, see if you current doctor can hook you up with a local general doctor as well.
          Alternatively, check out the canadian Multiple Sc. Society, for the nearest clinic near where u are moving to.
          If I knew where you were moving to, would help lol.

Comment

The drugs that are subsidized by the Trillium Drug Plan in Ontario are:

Avonex
            Betaseron
            Copaxone
            Rebif

Tysabri and Gilenia are only subsidized via private insurance at this point.

Hope the information helps!
            Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
            UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Only In Canada Eh???

So you are moving here for love....I hope it is for the love of snow and cold.....lol

Tysabari is not widely covered here. You need to apply for assistance through either Trillium or some other financial support foundation.

Good Luck and Buy a warm coat before you get here...

(on the upside we don`t have sharks...too cold for them)

Comment

Working...
              X