Who do I talk to? Who will listen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who do I talk to? Who will listen?

I read through some of the posts about being more involved in VA related legislation and benefits. You are, of course, right. My husband has been a disabled vet in the VA system since 2005 and he has always been good about writing letters and making phone calls, etc, I haven't done it, not sure why.

That being said, the real point of my post is, well, tough for me to explain. I noticed people mentioned chemical exposure at Fort McClellan and a possible link to MS. I never served there, but I still feel that there is a strong link between my MS and my time in service.

There have recently been posts on the forums about genetics and having children. I already have children, but I am now wondering if my children should have children. I know that sounds extreme. All 3 of my children have autoimmune diseases (each one in different) that greatly effect their lives. There is no history of these types of diseases in our family prior to me.

I do think there is a link most likely between injections that I received. I had one vaccination that became extremely infected - to the point of a red line around my arm. I feel that the military has a hint about what causes MS (since they are recognizing as a service related illness).

I would like to talk to someone within the VA system that is willing to look at the genetics surrounding veterans with MS. Is anyone aware of a study like this? I know my thought process sounds a little paranoid. Any ideas on how to approach this?

I am serious about getting this figured out - my daughters are 20, 18 and 17 and there health is a mess. My 20 year old has already been warned not to get pregnant, because of heart damage caused by rheumatic fever. Two of them have rheumatoid arthritis, one has Raynauds (diagnosed at the age of 3), two have severe asthma, one has extreme environmental allergies, one has extreme food allergies (up to 10 foods now), and one has scleradoma. It seems like there is always something new.

Kat; So far, no one knows why we got MS. The VA did notice there was a slightly higher chance of getting it if you served, but there has never been an explaination of why.
    Take a look at this forum- we're Army, Air Force, and Navy so far, no Marines that I know of yet but I might be wrong. We worked in as many different job specialties as I can think of. The only thing we seem to have in common might be stress and crappy hours. Or it might be floor wax. Or it might be that we all saluted. The point being, nothing seems to be standing out as obvious.

I read your post and it really got me to thinking. Like you, I'm the first in my family tree to get MS. I always had a notion it might have been from the desert storm shots they were giving out in the 90's but we have current service folks in here and all the way back to 'Nam.

Your idea has merit though, and I hope you can find some answers. Maybe bring it up the next time you see your primary VA doc or Neuro? I don't recall if you have a service rep but maybe they might know of a study?

Comment

Thank you for the response. You gave me a better perspective. I do get a little panicky whenever the kids have more health problems.

I just switched to a bigger clinic and have an appt on the 20th so I will bring it up. I had to switch because my last primary told me not to call her for anything MS related - I should call a private neuro I had seen previously. I will see a VA neurologist for the first time in September.

I can not figure out how to get a "cold and flu" type of appointment for my most recent increase in symptoms. When I call I get a nurse line.

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed that myself.
        I had to cancel my last appointment for eye tests because the van drivers gave my seat to someone else (I also found out they don't like hanging around for multiple appts) and I called ten different numbers over the course of two days and got one human being to pick up. She transferred me to, you guessed it, a voice mail.
        To be fair, our VA has been doing a bunch of moving around for some construction work but after a while you gotta wonder if they're starting to ramp down again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
          Take a look at this forum- we're Army, Air Force, and Navy so far, no Marines that I know of yet but I might be wrong.
          Hey Brandon, sorry man, I forgot.

Comment

Working...
          X