newly dx'ed Vet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newly dx'ed Vet

I was dx with ms in Dec 2010. I served in the army from (1987-1992). I had my first major attack in Oct 1996 but was not dx'ed. I have looked at my medical records and can trace early ms issues starting in 1989. I am working on sc disability but dont know what to expect due to no dx until 2010. I have medical records that show possible ms well within the 7 years.In 1996 I was rushed to the er because every time I tried to stand up I would fall down. The Dr thought it was vertigo but could not be sure.In 2004 I went to the Dr because my left side went numb for several weeks (missed dx again).
    Could anyone tell me of a similar issue, would love to hear. And anyone's opinion on my chances of getting sc disability.

Thanks for listening.....

Early signs of MS can be a bear to prove.
    The problem is that Docs usually don't mention it because the symptoms can be so random. Its not like you see a Doc for arm stiffness and they say they want tests for MS. Humans tend to look for the most obvious cause (doctors included) and treat it as the final answer.
    Check your documents and see when the first time MS is mentioned.
    Not beating around the bush with you, the Benefits side of the VA can be a pain to deal with and many times you'll get the "Yeah, so?" reply. Its also tough to find a Neuro who will commit to symtoms over ten year's old.
    That being said, it may be to your benefit to find a good, trained advocate outside the VA's chain of command. PVA and VVA come to mind (Paralyzed and Viet Nam Vets groups have trained advocates on staff) and there are other groups as well. Just choose wisely because you'll probably need to assign them Power Of Attorney status.
    Good luck.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the response. I am hoping for the best but ready for the worst. I have dr. missed dx's in 1996 and in 2004 in my medical files and some early signs in my militay records, saying that I am not blaming anyone because I have hindsight on my side. I have provided my VSO officer alot (all) of medical records for my past and I have written letters from people in Germany that knew me during my service. Im sure the letters dont hold much weight but I have them. My VSO officer says I have a strong case from her experience but we will just pray for the best.
      Thanks again Bob

Comment

No prob, check the sticky threads in this forum. You might want to check out the VA for the healthcare side of the equation, that's a totally different ballgame from the benefits side.
        MS can be a very expensive disease for most of us. If your current coverage isn't too hot, the VA could be your most affordable alternative.
        I think many of us came to the VA for the pension but stayed for the healthcare.

Comment

ms symtoms after 7 year window

Good Morning all

I read some threads from back in Feb where vets had said as long as you can show symtoms within the 7 years you can claim sc. Is there any vets that have had succuss getting sc disability after the 7 year window? Would apppreciate any response. Without the sc I do not qualify for va assistance do to the fact my wife still works and I worked all of last year. I am now unable to work.

Comment

You have to be able to document symtoms of MS during the seven year window if you're filing outside the window. Just repeating this to make sure you understand that you can file for a SC pension outside the window if you have the proof.
            Unfortunatly it isn't that easy to do. You'll have to find dated reports and bills that show symtoms indicative of MS.
            Were you getting billed for tests (MRIs, CT scans, LPs, bloodtests) that went nowhere? Do you have any admitting forms where you saw a Dr. or checked into an ER that mention what your symtoms were? You could also try forms and bills from a Chiro or eye care provider.
            The next line of attack would be personal testimony from doctors or from work. Would anyone in those capacities be willing to sign a paper saying you showed symtoms during that seven year window? There is a VA form just for this but at this point you should be thinking of having a trained Service Officer (either from the VA or one of the service orgs) in your corner to take care of this stuff.
            The next thing to try would be tracking down old co-workers or people you served with. Would they be willing to file an affidavit stating you exhibited early signs of MS?
            Good luck, its an uphill battle but it is winnable.

Comment

I have dr report from er where he thought I may have had vertigo and sent me for earing test. I was keep in the er for about 6 hours while they took blood test and gave me iv's. They found no problems and then it just went away for a few years then resurfaced as left side total numbness. This time they thought it was a buldging disk in my lower back. This made since at the time so I believed them. Now several years later I had an epsoide I have not been able to fully recover from. My presumed vertigo was 4 years after I left service. All this info is in my med records for the va to make their decision. I believe I have sent them the proof to connect all the dots but I really dont know who I am dealing with. Thanks Bob for the helpful info. Just hope I gave them enough info to make sc decision.

Comment

Sounds like you and your rep have it covered.
                You've done all you can, now its up to the board to decide.

I'm not a big fan of the seven year window, BTW. MS is too random for an arbitrary number and its usually diagnosed early only as an accident.
                My situation sounds kinda close to yours in terms of time frames but I opted for a non-service-connected pension. I had a pretty cool service officer when I first filed and he felt crappy about the NSC pension but he didn't want me waiting for years just to get shot down (this was before the last push when the VA decided to become more human).

Comment

actaullythe VA will cover your MS treatments even after the 7 yr window, you just may not get the compensation but they will provide the medical just go to the va website and u can search it. i know this to be true cause i have done it and my wife makes great money

Comment

SC for MS

it sounds to me like you have all the bases covered, too, and your work history or your wife's income should make no difference. (that only makes a difference in a VA 'pension,' but compensation is independent from that.)

if VA currently recognizes you have MS, then it's just a question of proving when it started. i had an easy time of it. the C&P i took with a neuro just asked me when my symptoms began - vertigo, patchy numbness - and they did fall within the 7 yr time frame. didn't go to dr. for such minor symptoms, so none of it was documented. but i had already been diagnosed by VA dr. with MS - after that i went to C&P.

so, my point is it's not always difficult, but it's almost always time consuming. just having the diagnosis gives you 30% and then it goes up from there, depending on the MS symptoms and amount of disability.

i think you'll make it, but try to just hang in there. it's maze they put us thru. best help you can get is a good service officer and PVA can be very helpful these days. before they were designated to also cover diseases of the spinal cord and not just trauma, they weren't very effective, but much better now! once again, good luck and keep us posted. best to you!
                    If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!

Comment

Dove

Thank you for the post, it is encouraging for me. Did you receive your dx after the 7 year window? I filed my claim through the American Legion in April and I havent heard much of anything from the va. I just received a letter stating it my take awhile to review my case due to a backlog in the va right now. I understand it will take awhile but I have been out of work since Jan. and Im afraid my work will let me go, then my medical will be gone. I have been approved for SSDI to start in Aug so that will help out a lot.

Thanks to all

Comment

I was discharged in 1976. I was not dx'd with MS until 1997. I was able to have my MS sc, as I developed ON in 1982, and I referenced other symptoms during service time, though I was not dx'd with anything at that time.
                        MS, it's a brain thang!
                        Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Thanks WACVET for the info, that is about how long between my service and dx is also. It gives me a since of hope that the va will help me out. My first major attack was 4 years after my end of active duty. I had no idea what was going on and neither did the dr's. When everything went back to about normal(6 weeks) I thought it was just a slight glich and I was ok, little did I know how wrong I was. I was never the same after that episode but, I was just glade to have the dizzyness gone. I have had at least 3 major attacks( and alot of minor ones) in the 20 years I have been out. Getting too long winded, thanks everyone for the support.

Comment

Remember, if you get the award you're buying the donuts.
                            Try not to stress out on this stuff and stick close to your rep. Let them know if anything changes, good or bad.

Comment

donuts for everyone

Thanks Bob I have you covered on the donuts...LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X