keeping cool exercising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeping cool exercising

Any advice regarding how to keep cool when exercising? Are those jackets filled with cold packs really helpful or does their weight counteract the good they do? I want to use a stationary bike in my un-air-conditioned house.

When inside a fan on a fairly gentle setting can be very good. Wetting your face and arms will help you cool pretty good.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

More cooling tips

I agree with the fan. Point it directly on you.

Also, take a drink of water every so often while you are exercising. It helps keep your body temperature from rising.

Once I put one of those cold packs (the blue gel stuff) in a towel and laid it on the back of my neck when I had to be active on the hottest day of the year. It helped a lot. A wet towel is good, too.

Comment

fans

When I am doing a land based exercise, i have a cool rag around my neck and I have the fan blowing on me. I also drink lots of cold water.

My prefered exercise is working out in the pool (ymca is only 5 minutes from my house.) I can stay cool and do a pretty intense workout and stay cool. Very friendly on the joints also. I tend to stay in the deep end where I can challenge myself more and stay cooler.
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

In addition, think about your clothes. Make sure they are light weight and can breathe.

Also, refrain from caffeine drinks. Caffeine is a diuretic which helps rid the body of water. You want to stay hydrated. Keep drinks cold.

Rest as your body core temperature rises. Stop before you get hot. Remember, we are advised not to take hot showers/baths for the same reason... not to increase our body core temperature. Same holds true for exercise.
          It may make the exercise take longer but you will still reap the benefits.
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

do it early morning or at night, with a fan on. you should get one of those ice packs around the neck. soon as your done, take a cool shower.

also, drink during your biking. it helps me.

Comment

Great additional suggestions. I would just add that there are fans with water misters and to stop cycling for water breaks for safety.
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! I've been tolerating the biking pretty well and have bought a swamp fan to try if the weather gets too hot (our hot days are very low humidity). You can add ice to the water to make the air cooler and direct the cool air right at yourself. A lot cheaper than central air for 5-10 days a year!
                The suggestion about stopping if I start getting hot was a good reminder -- I will try to keep it in mind.

Comment

Cooling Towel

Last Summer I found the best cooling device I have ever owned. And I have had lots of different kinds. It is called Frogg Togg Chilly Pad. The price varies from $12-$20 so look around. I got one at Bed, Bath, & Beyond & also ordered one from Amazon. They come in lots of colors. It is basically a piece of absorbent material that is 12" x 27". The size can vary a bit. You soak it in water for just a minute, wring it out, then wear it around you neck. If it matches your clothes it can pass for a scarf. It must be kept wet to be effective. I carry a plastic bag & a bottle of water with me. When it starts to dry I put it in the bag with a little water & it is ready to go again. It won't cool if it gets dry. It can also break if it gets dry. Highly recommend this product. It is so much more effective & easier to use than anything else I have tried.

Comment

Great to hear about that item, thank you for letting us know
                    Be Well,
                    Susan

Comment

What kind of exercise do you do in the pool? Do you just swim laps or some kind of water aerobic?

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
                      When I am doing a land based exercise, i have a cool rag around my neck and I have the fan blowing on me. I also drink lots of cold water.

My prefered exercise is working out in the pool (ymca is only 5 minutes from my house.) I can stay cool and do a pretty intense workout and stay cool. Very friendly on the joints also. I tend to stay in the deep end where I can challenge myself more and stay cooler.

Comment

I always do exercise in a cold area as our body revel heat from us and absorb coolness from the surrounding area.
                        http://www.cellublue.com/

Comment

The pool is a great way to work on range of motion as water eases movement. The buoyancy of the water supports the body and extremities where you can work on movements of specific body parts i.e. shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, even hands and ankles.

Swimming helps to increase cardiovascular system/endurance and strength. The repetition of movements contributes to range of motion as well.

If you start exercising in the pool, begin with a short period of time. Warm water can help with pain and range of motion but can get too warm. Keep cool - remember swimming increases body core temperature. Stay hydrated, drink lots of water but not from the pool!
                          Be Well,
                          Susan

Comment

Working...
                          X