Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is the right time to start therapy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is the right time to start therapy?

I am 33, newly diagnosed. I am RRMS. I take Copaxone and Baclofen. My muscles have always been tight even since a teenager. I am just wondering when I should start looking at starting therapy? I always felt that if I am still mobile I should continue on without it. But on the other hand, is it ever too early to start? The Baclofen helps me tremendously with the tightness and pain (at least allows me to function in a semi-normal lifestyle). But without it, my legs are extremely tight and spasm constantly. Also, lots and lots of tremors. Sometimes in the a.m. I forget and leave the house w/o taking my Baclofen and it seems that in just the short time that I've been on the drug my legs are increasingly getting worse. I take 10mg 3x daily. I am getting that dose increased at my next dr. appt. Just wondering. Thank you.
    Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
    Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

hi i am 31 and recently diagnosed with in april with ms and i asked to be started immediately with aggressive treatment. i did lots of reading about ms after getting my mri scans back. everything i have read has lead me to believe that the sooner the start of treatment the better chance you have at slowing the lesion down and getting the symptoms under control. now i have just started rebif injections and the side affects are flu like symptoms. i have felt achy but with ibuprofen it hasnt been to bad. the side affects are said to go away after 2 months of treatment. i also have talked to several people, infact everyone i have talked to that has been on rebif says their mri's have "greatly improved" which i was worried about that. it has given me hope. either way i believe the earlier the treatment the better
    ~christy's ms~
    ~Christy's MS~

Comment

I am under the impression when you mention therapy, you are talking about occupational or physical therapy.

First, I strongly suggest stretching. It is extremely important especially when dealing with the symptoms of spasms, spasticity and tension.
      Staying active is very important but an exercise routine will help strengthen various areas not necessarily being 'worked out' during daily routines.

I suggest getting a prescription from the doctor for physical therapy. The therapist will do a full evaluation and help you in several ways.... assess areas for weakness, teach exercises and stretches for proper and safe techniques specific for your needs, work on energy conservation techniques, may even assess for assistive walking device to help minimize fatigue, as so much more.
      Therapy can be done at a facility or your home.

Watch what you do so you don't get too tired and may jeopardize your safety.

It's great that you are reaching out.
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

As soon as you can

Stretching and PT really help. I try to start each day with some.
        techie
        Another pirated saying:
        Half of life is if.
        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
        Dogs Rule!

Comment

now

start now. you'll never start earlier
          First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
          Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

I go to the Gym every day. I stretch all the time and it helps, especially in my hands.

Comment

So glad to hear the determination and dedication you all shared.

Exercise is so important and doesn't have to be extensive and difficult. Move joints through their full range of motion, stretch all limbs, trunk and neck (always with caution), engage in exercises or activities that increase your endurance (cardiovascular system), and when you use weight-- gravity is added weight- you will be working on strengthening.

Break down what you want to do and set up a program. Start out slow and work your way up. Don't try to do too much too soon or you may burn out or cause injury.

It's always best to have a therapist or trainer to help, especially when getting started.
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X