SSDI and VA disability payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI and VA disability payments

My wife asked me this morning if I get my VA disability will it affect my SSDI payments, hadn't ever thought about it, will it? anybody on both?
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

I think you mentioned filing for a service-connected pension.
    Because of the service connection it might not effect SSDI but you REALLY REALLY want to check with your VA Service Officer and keep SS informed.
    Fed agencies tend to hammer you mercilessly if they think you're pulling one over. To be honest, you should have known the answer before you filed for the pension.

Comment

i have been asked by several medical persons and others if i get ssi or when will i be filing for ssi. i would like to work for as long as i can before doing that. however if and when that time comes and i get ssi can i still work part time?

~christy's ms~
      ~Christy's MS~

Comment

Bob- yes I applied for SC disability , sent PVA rep an email last night and his response this am was" they are 2 totally different programs, with different qualifications for each one and there is no problem collecting both, one we have paid into when we worked and the other we earned by our service to our country".

christysms- SSI is supplement income from social security for low income people and includes food stamps etc, SSDI is disability payments when you can no longer work. I have been told I could work part time and make up to approx 50% of my monthly SSDI payments w/o affecting what I rcv. But finding a part time job that does not involve a lot of walking or standing is pretty difficult to find as most are in retail. I have been looking for over a year now myself.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

you will get both ssdi and your va disabilty one has no effect on the other i know this for a fact cause i get both. now when it comes to medicare and tricare there it gets a little tricky, but you can still have both, again i know this for a fact cause i get both....But it can also take the va years to approve things to. one thing that is a must do is get signed into e benifets go to the va website and it will show you how or call 1800 827 1000 that is the va's number . Keep up the fire

Comment

i collect both SSD and VA SC for MS - no problem with either. and when i reached age 65, my SSD did not change to 'retirement' rate because they just consider you at full retirement age and pay stays the same. the disability pay is what you would have drawn at full retirement anyhow - that's why it's more than drawing early SS pension.

however, i still carry medicare AND supplemental (but NO plan D because i get all my meds from VA, couldn't afford it otherwise - but all my MS care has been with VA and will stay that way as long as i can do it. if i have to chose between the two, i will drop medicare and stay with VA because of possibility of real impairment down the road.
            If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!

Comment

Working...
            X