Dealing with Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with Heat

As yesterday was the official first day of summer, I thought I'd talk about heat. Growing up in Florida and dealing with heat is just a natural occurrence. However, with MS, we know it can affect us differently.

Heat alters nerve conduction and MS is a disease of altered nerve conduction. Heat can affect nerves whose myelin covering has been affected by MS which makes the signals/transmissions to and from the brain less efficient.

Even a very slight elevation in core body temperature can alter transmission and can make existing symptoms feel worse and may even make old symptoms resurface until the body cools back down. These changes DOES NOT mean you are having an exacerbation, they are temporary and will go away once your body cools off. People most sensitive to heat and develop symptoms quickest will be most responsive to cooling down and symptoms disappear quickly.

Some symptoms you may feel when body is overheated:
    Decreased cognitive function,
    Numbness in the extremities,
    Fatigue,
    Blurred vision, known as Uhthoff’s sign,
    Tremor,
    Weakness

Precautions are important:
    *Consider time of day you do things. Activities that require more energy should be done when it's cooler out.
    You may also want to break down / space out tasks to avoid overdoing it especially in the heat.
    *Use lightweight clothing that allows the skin to breathe, hats and cooling garments.
    *Stay in air conditioning or use fan.
    *Stay hydrated. This is very important and often overlooked. Water, lemonade or drinks such as gatorade is best. Try to avoid iced tea or coffee drinks as caffeine is a diuretic which rids the body of fluids.
    *Look for shade. That includes parking spaces.
    *Avoid the heat if any symptoms, especially fatigue, is prominent at that time.

I welcome input and feedback.

Stay cool!
    Be Well,
    Susan

I have my last year of a daughter playing softball so we have a few games in the heat of the day so the first thing I look for is the shade.

I use several of the things you mentioned -- And I have found for me keeping my core temperature down is really important so I may be munching on ice chips or freeze pops or eating ice cream. I have ice bottles that I will use next to my skin and a little fan that runs on batteries --put a little water on your face and run that and it will help keep you cool too.

If one wants to watch your kids then I have found ways to make it much more enjoyable -- otherwise I do not venture outside when it is hot out -- I stay indoors where I have the air conditioning and I am thankful I live in the age where we have that luxury otherwise I would have to live in a cooler place.

Comment

I am still able to play some golf and what I find helps the most when it is 80 or above is I carry a small cooler with me that has ice and water in it along with 2 hand towels, I soak them in the water and then place them on the back of my neck, I rotate them out every 1/2 hour or so, it is very effective for me, actually have other people I play with doing it also and they don't have MS and it helps them also and it is basically free.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Great feedback, thanks. I like what you've added when staying outdoors.
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Thanks for the Info

I have noticed that heat makes existing symptoms so much worse for me, but I did not know about the core temperature concept. I will keep that in mind, and plan my trips to the grocery store for the evening when it's cooler. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

I am from Texas, where my city has over 30 days of triple digit heat. I was recently diagnosed and was having a hard time adjusting to what the heat does to me (still going through a flare up) since this was my first time experiencing this.

i go jogging at 3 am. i take one real shower a day but i will take 2-3 additional 3 minute showers to cool down. i bought some ice neck wraps on brylane. i use those daily when i go out. my husband will also let the car cool down and pick me up at front so i dont get in a hot car.

the doctor also said for me to sleep with an ice pack on my head. so i do that. my symptoms have gone down other than the itches.

oh and of course, drink a ton of water. i don't do the tylenol thing...i really hate take more meds than i need to. can't wait for winter.

Comment

Hi chibi_polis
              I don't think I'll complain about Miami heat!

Is there a pool nearby? I'm not able to jog/run but get a great work out in the pool. What about a little machine for inside the house in the AC?

Also be sure to consider type of clothes you wear.

BTW , why are you up at 3 am!
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Originally posted by SusanD View Post
                Hi chibi_polis
                I don't think I'll complain about Miami heat!

Is there a pool nearby? I'm not able to jog/run but get a great work out in the pool. What about a little machine for inside the house in the AC?

Also be sure to consider type of clothes you wear.

BTW , why are you up at 3 am!
                I go swimming at 9pm, by then the temp is around 94. I miss being outdoors so I don't mind jogging at night. Oh and I have insomnia...hehe.

Comment

Now that's using your time!
                  Just a reminder, exercise releases endorphins that provide our 'natural high'. They can interfere with the body's natural chemistry, especially towards and into the evening when melatonin should be kicking in for sleep.
                  Just thought I'd share that!
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Originally posted by SusanD View Post
                    Now that's using your time!
                    Just a reminder, exercise releases endorphins that provide our 'natural high'. They can interfere with the body's natural chemistry, especially towards and into the evening when melatonin should be kicking in for sleep.
                    Just thought I'd share that!

Oh yeah, that I am aware of. :P Should have mentioned I also have delayed sleep. I run on two hours of sleep a day...been like that since was 11. I don't like sleeping pills.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, sounds like you accommodate to your needs the best you can. It's great that you continue to talk with others to get and share information.
                      Take care
                      Be Well,
                      Susan

Comment

Cubicle heat

Susan- I suffer from heat intolerance and my work is moving to a cubicled floor where the temperature is 74 degrees and I need 68-70 degrees. Aside from fans and a cooling vest (which I wear every day) what are my options? I certainly won't last very long at 74! I saw some "portable" air conditioners on line nut not sure they would work in an open floor.

Thanks,
                        Jerry

Comment

susan,I am new here. I was dx in 2009,felt pretty good at the time,lost my mother,my heart,my best friend,2 months later,very quickly and unexpectedly. Than,3months later had a miscarriage blah blah blah. SO! It wasn't until,until after all that I realllllllllllllly starting feeling crummy. I have always been an exercise freak....running,surfing,swimming,yoga. I still do my surfing and yoga and try to get a short run in the early hours. I am also a homehealth nurse in Florida! stupid stupid stupid. I have had the same job for 9 years,I see 6pts. a day, and work 32 hours a week,and there is no way,I could do anyother form of nursing. But the heat is killing me,and I am over taking my nuvigil to keep going. So,basically,I am running myself into the ground,to make others feel better?!?!?! And Let me tell ya,my core,never ever ever cools off,even in my air conditioned car. Anyway,I am new this board and had to get that out there.

Comment

Welcome to the OT forum

Sounds like you are aware of what may cause you to overdo it. Take a step back, make a list of all that you do, and see what you can do to reduce some of the activities.

When you overdo it, not only can it make you feel badly that day, it can carry on for days, really impacting what you want and need to do. You certainly don't want to do that.

Let me know how that goes
                            Be Well,
                            Susan

Comment

Heat helps me?

I have bad nerve pain and find that cool/cold really gets me hurting. I am on 4 different drugs to help but that all they do, help...a little (one is methadone). I recently moved to Texas and have found that the heat (108) has helped with the pain (maybe 1/5 improvement).

The downside is that when I walk into any public building I get a blast of 65 degree air. I want to curl up into a ball. What is with Texans and their arctic air conditioning? Oops, I guess I'm a Texan now too.

I know there are a few people on this forum that have this cold problem like I do. We are definitely in the minority.

Comment

Working...
                              X