Brain lesion, but normal spinal tap???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain lesion, but normal spinal tap???

My symptoms are that of MS. Now that my spinal fluid does not show banding, is it possible that this is ms? If not, then what?

10-20% of people with MS don't have the banding, at least initially. So, it could still be MS, but all the tap does is give more information to your doctor as they try to figure it out. It doesn't confirm that you do or do not have MS.

Comment

You can be diagnosed w/out a positive spinal tap. In fact' from info on this board, I'd have to say there are many folks diagnosed w/out a positive LP, it is not a definitive test. Some doctor's don't even require it

Here's a fairly recent thread discussing LP's...and people being diagnosed w/out them or with a negative one.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ht=lp+negative

Comment

I was diagnosed with MS with a normal spinal tap. It does happen.
        Sue
        Previous Meds: Avonex, Copaxone
        Beta Babe: January 2007

Comment

Its the situation I'm in and I was diagnosed two years ago.
          I know its tough but stay patient. We all went through a lot of tests (and most of us have dealt with false starts).

Comment

Also diagnosed without a positive LP.

Comment

I was diagnosed without a spinal tap. My neuro talked about one when I first saw him 7 years ago, but never did one. I wasn't officially diagnosed until last October and he never even suggested one. Good thing, cuz I'm not having one. The entire idea so completely freaks me out, I'd probably have a massive flare just worrying about it. Mine could be positive or negative, but we'll never know.

Comment

I didn't get a spinal tap either. He just showed me the lesions on the MRI and said it was MS and put me on Betaseron. Now I'm reading this forum and people are saying you can have lesions but not have MS? So confused. I have alot of the symptoms and had ON so I'm not doubting my neuro, but a little part of me wonders..
                Dx'd RRMS 5/27/11 · Started Betaseron 6/13/11

Comment

Working...
                X