MS and increased risk of osteoporosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and increased risk of osteoporosis

Maybe this is well known but I hadn't heard it before.

Looks like we are at increased risk for osteoporosis, both men and women.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

As far as I know, the increased risk is due to the steroids many of us take.

I could be wrong though...it's been known to happen.

Comment

Increased Risk

It is an increased risk which is why a bone density study is sometimes recommended for MS patients. My neuro has me take one annually. Fortunately, milk (with C & D) has always been my passion. I have it with everything from cereal to pizza to chilli!
      My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
        As far as I know, the increased risk is due to the steroids many of us take.

I could be wrong though...it's been known to happen.
        That is a contributor for sure but I think it is also about weight bearing activity.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          That is a contributor for sure but I think it is also about weight bearing activity.
          Oh sure...that would make sense!

As our MS progresses, we become less and less able to perform weight bearing activities. In my case, once upon a time I walked 8 miles a day at a brisk pace...now I can barely make it around my (small) house with the assistance of a rolling walker.

Comment

It gets better all the time! More likely to fall over, more likely to get osteoporosis, so more likely to break a bone.
            When I'm on 'roids, I just crave dairy food.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
              It gets better all the time! More likely to fall over, more likely to get osteoporosis, so more likely to break a bone.
              When I'm on 'roids, I just crave dairy food.
              Makes me gladder than ever that I've never done, and will never do, 'roids. As a vegan, craving dairy foods would be baaad news!

Comment

I have SEVERE osteoporosis as a direct result of my many, many years of IV steroid use. I'm 54 years old and was a dancer in my past life. It's just one more thing....
                “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                Diagnosed 1979

Comment

no choice but.

Way back in the day there wasn't a choice;if your leg went

out from under you, and iv steroids was the only choice

offered, trust me.

been there and again

hugs, angel
                  livelover

Comment

Got that right, Angel! Nineteen seventy-nine didn't bother too much with MS. It was a pretty dire diagnosis.

I ignored it for as long as I could!
                    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

limited weight bearing activity is definately a big factor, i have always had goof calcium and vit D intake and only needed IV steroids in the past 3 yrs but 2 yrs ago i feel when transferring from my wheelchair and sustained 3 crushed vertabrae- they then tested me and confirmed that i had osteoporosis!

Comment

Working...
                      X