Another freak out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another freak out

Hey all, been a few since I have been on..
    36 years old. Symptoms since Jan 01, 2011. Just dx on May 9th, 2011. Copaxone user since March. Taking three Neurontin a day since March. All symptoms always on right side, and for about 4-5 days, saw double vision. (which led me to the neuro). Also have weird shooting pains in head and "waves" of pain in head for a long time now.. Off and on..

Anyways, so all has been decent since March. Well besides the weak leg and hand (doubt they will ever be "normal" again).

So, last night I woke up with the exact CRAZY, numb/tingling, all throughout my LEFT hand and arm. I was able to shake it off after a few minutes. Still lingering a bit but it was decent. My let foot even had a tinge of tingling. So of course I was FREAKING out. Like, OMG here we go again, but now on THIS SIDE??? I start a new job on Monday!!! (graphic/web designer) Plus its a long drive!

So anyway, finally fell asleep again. Horrible wheelchair nightmares, thoughts of not being able to perform on the new job, etc.. So I wake up again and it's back! Left hand..
    But again, I can kind of shake it off. So, today there's just an ever so small presence of tingling on my left foot. Hand actually seems 99% normal. Head is a little cloudy. Slight headaches I usually get..

My neuro said this is fairly normal with MS, and if it gets worse, we should do a new MRI, up the dose of Neurontin etc.. She said let her know If I need anything. She's really good.

I just wanna know if this is kinda common. Strange flare ups, opposite side of body/new areas. She did mention sometimes low potassium levels with MS can cause what normally would be a dead/numb hand during sleep be more severe.. She said to eat a banana which I did..

I also have low Vitamin D levels, so I just started taking 1000 D3 2x daily..

I dunno.. Just kinda venting as well as asking am I OK? Do people sometimes get these little flare-ups in NEW areas? Or is this considered a relapse?? Kinda scared to sleep tonight. I don't wanna wake up with that again.

Sounds perfectly normal (ha) to me. You haven't 'known' you have MS for long, so you'll still be working out what physically is what. I remember when I was first diagnosed, twelve years ago, really worrying over every weird sensation. Some were MS, most weren't.
    Any numbness you can shake off probably has more to do with cutting off circulation than with MS.
    Bad dreams are normal, too. You've suffered a loss, and you're probably grieving.
    You sound like you're doing all the right things.

Comment

Normal, for a relapsing MS patient for sure

You have a lot of my symptoms when I had MS symptoms. They came back a lot when on Rebif, but nothing on Tysabri. Good luck. The double vision was sure a riot. I work with dangerous snakes and large birds of prey for a living...lets just say that little symptom made work not really logical. Not to sway you, as you have a lot of choices in these matters, but you might consider trying different drugs. Given the severity of my work, they got me on Tysabri when it came back up in the controlled state it is, and I am symptom free with (knock on wood) clear MRIs. That was not the same prior. But if you tried it and it doesn't work for you, we know every patient responds differently. Best wishes.

Comment

Sounds normal of relapsing MS patients

I think my last response might have not gone through because I mentioned meds. I HAD lots of your symptoms. I would be more than happy to share more details and my treatement progressions if you email me at ******* ** E-mail removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld guidelines. This may be put in your profile for all registered, logged-in members to see**

I would write more details, but I wrote semi-long description last time and I don't think it went through, so I don't want to invest too much if it is for nothing.

Best Wishes.

Comment

Thanks all. Your replies made me feel better. You know, I stopped coming here for awhile because I felt it saddened me, reading all of this stuff. But now I see a bigger picture, and we are all here to help each other. Really. Thanks for the support. I'll let you know how tonight goes

Comment

Originally posted by 22908277@facebook View Post
            You have a lot of my symptoms when I had MS symptoms. They came back a lot when on Rebif, but nothing on Tysabri. Good luck. The double vision was sure a riot. I work with dangerous snakes and large birds of prey for a living...lets just say that little symptom made work not really logical. Not to sway you, as you have a lot of choices in these matters, but you might consider trying different drugs. Given the severity of my work, they got me on Tysabri when it came back up in the controlled state it is, and I am symptom free with (knock on wood) clear MRIs. That was not the same prior. But if you tried it and it doesn't work for you, we know every patient responds differently. Best wishes.
            Oh man how crazy about the double vision on that job!
            Well, I go back for another MRI in nine months :/
            We'll see how this copaxone does for me..

Comment

Carpal tunnel

It sounds like you could actually have carpal tunnel on the left. It is very common to wake up with a numb hand which improves with shaking only to return again when you go back to sleep (nerve in the wrist gets squashed when you sleep on it or in a funny position).

It's always easy to blame everything on MS but we get other things as well!
              Dx: 2001
              Currently on Tysabri since Dec 2010
              Feel lucky to be doing so well!

Comment

Originally posted by mshizzy View Post
                It sounds like you could actually have carpal tunnel on the left. It is very common to wake up with a numb hand which improves with shaking only to return again when you go back to sleep (nerve in the wrist gets squashed when you sleep on it or in a funny position).

It's always easy to blame everything on MS but we get other things as well!
                Yea, I dunno.. Could be. Slight tingles all day off and on. Foot and hand. I do alot of gaming on the computer and graphics work. Maybe it's a combo. The MS is enhancing it.. Very well could be.. hmm././

Comment

Working...
                X