Rehab physician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rehab physician

I am seeking your professional knowledge.

I am considering seeing a rehab physician, but, not sure if I should add another cook into the kitchen.

I am considering a rehab physician to evaluate wether I am doing everything to the maximum that I can do.

I teach/participate in water aerbics three to five times a week. I do strength training two days a week. I maintain the house and have two elementary age children. Yoga is thrown in there sometimes too.

I have done two rounds of physical therapy for weakness/pain in my right leg and lumbar back pain.

The reason that I am considering a rehab physician is because the most comfortable position for my right leg is in a flexed position. I can straighten it out. But I find myself flexing it when resting/sleeping then keeping it extended.

I have some spasticity in that rectus fermorus muscle and the hip flexor and some weakness in the hip flexor. I can not take muscle relaxers so I tend towards massage and accupuncture for the spasticity.

What I am looking for from the rehab doc would be to make sure that I am doing everything that I can for that weakness and spasticity in my right hip flexor and rectus femorus muscle. Do you think that would be a worthwhile visit?
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

A Physical Therapist may be the best for you. Many of them are Phd Doctors of Physical Therapy and can give you much more time and ideas to work things out.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

The type of doctor you are referring to is a Physiatrist, a doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation. They can focus more on monitoring the symptoms and may make a suggestions but it is the therapy that would be the intervention.

I would continue with physical therapy and include occupational therapy. OT can help with issues regarding the home, childcare, positioning and much more.

Stretching is so important in helping with spasticity. Not only before and after you exercise, but daily especially at the start of the day.
      Therapists can identify key areas and suggest the best stretches for you.

Therapy (whether PT, OT, or alternative) should always be broaden in treatment as one area of the body can trigger off symptoms in another. Example: back and pelvis are often the source of the hip and leg symptoms.

You certainly do a lot, hopefully not overdoing it.

(To get back to the original question!) I would suggest seeking another physician's assessment and suggestions. Doctors choose specialties for a reason and it wouldn't hurt to use their skills.
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

thank you

Susan,

Thank your for your input.

I have addressed the over doing it and try to strive not to go there. With the input from a very knowledgable PT. I use to work in healthcare so my PT are hand picked within my healthcare plan coverage.

Stretches are part of my day. I begin before I get out of bed and continue them through out the day.

But I thank you for your input.

I also appreciate the input, wkikta!

Comment

Sounds good!
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

just a comment. i went for a pt eval in april and took a cover letter explaining everything i was doing in the home. i now spend up to 3 hrs. daily on a program i developed. i start my day with hamstring stretches and am up to 48 lbs. weight. i do this by resting one leg at a time against a ledge, apply the weights and hold the stretch for 2 min. i have timers all over the house.

according to the therapist my most valuable piece of equip. is the total gym. while on this i stretch my arms, lift 3 and 5 lb. weights, squeeze a ball between my thighs, and lastly lift my butt in the air. i go on it 5 x wk for 25 min.

sorry, i sort of got off the topic. pt told me bec. i was doing so much on my own i need not return for therapy. i'm doing everything right. kelm, i went to eastpointe for the eval.

i do many other things. one other thing. we've owned an air bike for yrs. and looked at it for months thinking how can i adapt it to meet my needs. i'm w/c bound 24/7 and i came up with a solution. we lifted the back up on bricks and tied rope to the handles. now i can wheel up to it, grab the rope handles, put my feet in the stirrips and peddle away.

ok, i've rambled on enough. phyllis

Comment

thanks

thanks phyllis you always have good ideas too.

As I have told you before you do so well to keep yourself as active as you can be.

Comment

Exercise is great, so glad to hear such dedication.

Just a reminder, everyone's needs and abilities are different but to do stretching and some form of exercise is recommended to all.
                Be Well,
                Susan

Comment

Working...
                X