Ankle/calf weakness/numbness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ankle/calf weakness/numbness

hi - this is the first time I've admitted this....I am so scared I am losing my leg. My right calf/ankle is numb most of the time and it feels so weak. I haven't lost control of it but i don't always trust it is going to hold me when I walk. is this drop foot? or am I on the way to that? It's my right foot, the one I drive with - my main leg - and I am freaking out that I am going to "lose" it. I have 2 toddlers and have had this disease for 17 years. I have been lucky, only on steriods 4 times and only losing my eyesight twice, both for a short time/2 weeks, so if the disease is finally here for me *laughing* I understand but I am mad! Thank you for any help/tips/advice you can give me!!!

Hang in there

Some options:

Acupuncture - I have found it helpful.
    Teach yourself to drive with the left foot as a back-up.
    Less stress more exercise.

Comment

I am just going to try acupuncture....I am just recently out of the hospital from an exacerbation...I am trying to decide if I should do tysabri and I had the blood test that tells if I have the JVC virus.. I am so lost and confused and since you said about acupuncture I am just posting

Comment

Your concerns are quite genuine and I strongly suggest going to or talking with your doctor. You always want to keep them informed when symptoms change, increase, or are new.

I would also suggest getting a prescription for physical therapy when you go. They will be able to do a complete assessment including strength, range of motion, balance and much more.

It sounds like a walking aide would be helpful. Do you have a cane or walker? If so, I suggest using it. If not, the physical therapist can set you up with one that best suits your needs and will provide proper training. You typically need a doctor's order for that as well.

Be careful of the shoes you use. Make sure they are closed toes, no heals, light weight, and well secure.
        You also want to be careful with hot water when shaving or showering if your sensation is impaired.

Lastly, driving can be dangerous. I speak not only as a health care professional but from experience. When I lose movement and/or sensation in my lower leg and foot (right - for driving), I can have a very difficult time feeling pedals, pushing on them and switching from one to another. The worse the symptoms made it more difficult.
        I do not suggest driving if you have any doubt or chance that you may cause injury to you, your children, or other people on the road.
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X