anyone taking alpha lipoic acid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by opiegirl View Post
    I started taking both ALA and ALC but stopped because it made my urine smell soooo bad. Has anyone else ever experienced that?
    I had this effect as well and the horrid gas it gave me was unreal. Worse than a water treatment plant. Not for me, good luck all.

Comment

Several have mentioned a strong odor from urine when taking ALA and ALC. Dr. Bert Berkson, who is recognized as an authority on Alpha Lipoic Acid, says that smell is an important indicator that you are taking good quality ALA. He says that urine should have that odor with ALA; a strong odor he describes as asparagus-like.

By the way, Dr. Berkson will be giving a presentation involving his successful treatment of cancer using Alpha Lipoic Acid and LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) at Harper College, Palatine Illinois (near Chicago) on October 5th 2013. His presentation is scheduled for 2:15 pm following presentations on planned LDN clinical trials and use of LDN in treating MS.

According to possibly the leading expert on ALA, strong urine odor is a good thing, in fact, necessary. Anyone interested in hearing this directly from Dr. Berkson can check out this fascinating video:

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

I'm not sure why a youtube video of a doctor who was the FDA's principal investigator for 23 years on alpha lipoic acid making a presentation would get denied. He is not selling anything and goes out of his way to avoid compromising his presentation.

Perhaps, moderators made a mistake by scrubbing the link I provided? If so, I provide it again here:

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Also can be found by Googling "Dr Burt Berkson complete talk and Q&A and LDN 09."

Anyone with cancer or who knows someone with cancer will be spellbound by Dr. Berkson's presentation of clinical cases from his own practice.

It is important to note that he recommends taking ALA removed from meals by a couple of hours for best absorption.

Comment

Since June this year, I have been diagnosed as being in CIS of MS, but have started all the recommended lifestly changes.

I have yet to add to my rather hefty list of vitamins/supplements ALA. I do not currently suffer from fatigue, so that isnt quite the reason I am taking ALA. Instead its because I am hoping that it can help with symptoms and/or disease progression, according to the lastest studies that have been very kindly given by others in this thread.

Are there others here taking ALA (possinly along with ALC too) not so due to fatigue, but due to its other supposed benefits?

Thanks,
          zjac

Comment

since I last posted and as a result on researching how to chelate heavy metals from my body, ive since learnt that ALA can redistribute mercury. this is good to chelate but supposedly very dangerous if you still have mercury amalgams in.

ALA is rather commonly used by MS and cancer patients so I was surprised rmmto discover this, has anyone else ever heard of this?

Comment

Just started ALA and ALCAR. Just as in this morning.

Comment

what is alcar?

Comment

Acetyl-L-carnitine

Comment

Originally posted by zjac020 View Post
                    Are there others here taking ALA (possinly along with ALC too) not so due to fatigue, but due to its other supposed benefits?

Thanks,
                    zjac

Zjac - ALA is an antioxident that helps cellular energy, neutralizes damage done by free radicals and may improve memory while it protects brain and nerve tissue.

Here is an article from Dr Weil that explains much http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03051...-Acid-ALA.html

My naturopathic Dr. recommended I take it for the protective effects of the brain and nerves. She has since changed me to R-Alpha Lipoic Acid as it more potent that the ALA. I take one 100mg pill each day religiously!
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Please allow me to correct a statement in my post above where I said Dr. Berkson recommends taking ALA removed from meals by a couple of hours. I must have not heard him correctly during his lengthy presentation which can be Googled, “Dr Burt Berkson complete talk and Q&A and LDN 09”.

After visiting him in person and waiting while my brother received infusions, I can say that his protocol for ALA infusions is that people eat something immediately before or after infusions and his staff recommended taking oral ALA with meals. Perhaps, others taking ALA will comment on whether they take it with meals.

Knuckle and Seasha provided a links worth taking a look at. It will be most interesting to see the results of the ongoing trial using 1200 mg of ALA in MSers. Anyone considering taking that dose would do well to begin much lower, say 300mg and increase gradually over a period of time, IMO.

One thing Berkson is very picky about is where the ALA is sourced. There are only a few who sell European pharmaceutical grade ALA. I don't want to present them and look as if I have a financial interest in any, I do not. They can be found with a little searching.

You can be sure the cheap ALA originates in China and according to Berkson some problems have occasionally cropped up from the Chinese product. One test of Chinese ALA came back 60% ALA and 40% unknown according to Berkson.

Personally, I would not buy any type of ALA unless they could assure me it was European pharmaceutical grade ALA.

Tragic if ALA was ineffective because it was poor quality.

Berkson's book, The Alpha Lipoic Acid Breakthrough is $8 on Amazon, used copies are $2, just checked.

Comment

I discovered ALA for MS some six months ago or so. For about a month I took 2 x 600mg.daily. I believe it was of the Healthy Origins brand. I stopped simply because I ran out and took a while to ordeing more. This time I have ordered Swanson.

The strange thing is that ALA is a very well known chelating agent of mercury and the experts of the frequent dose chelation protocol created by Andy Cutler (really does seem to be one of the best ways of chelating heavy metals), warns about the use of ALA in high doses as we contemplate here as dangerous as it will mobilize mercury and other metals and may deposit it in other body tissues.

Comment

Hello, I have also been reading some articles to know more about alpha lipoic acid. I am also struggling to lose weight just like many out there. Please share whatever information you have. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by richael View Post
                            I'm curious about how to get the ingredient? Where can wholesale Alpha Lipoic Acid 99% and acetyl L-carnitine?
                            Not sure if you are still around, but

Jim S.

Comment

Working...
                            X