Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone taking alpha lipoic acid?

hi,

so, i was just wondering is anyone taking that, and if so is it working for you and at what dosing??

I just picked it up today at the natural food store, 200mg pills.

someone here i believe told me they use it and it helps fight off ms fatigue bigtime. which id' LOVE.

thanks!
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

yes...helps me feel better

Hello

I take my ALA (200 mgs) combined with Acetyl L Carnitine (600 mgs) in one pill....Get it from GNC store. Works well for me. Really boost energy when taken with vitamin B-2
    [I]Tellnhelen
    Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

thank you. i'll start taking it tmrw. i don't take b2 though, i take b12
      Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

You kind of have to take the Acetyl L-Carnitine along with the Alpha Lipoic Acid to get the fatigue-fighting effect. ALA alone won't do it, I'm afraid.

I took both and they didn't help with my fatigue, but other members here have had much better results. I tend to respond strangely to meds/supplements anyway.

I do take RLA, which is the racemic form of lipoic acid and is substantially more potent. I'm a diabetic, and I take it primarily for its ability to lower blood glucose.

Here's some information about that:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/search....archid=1283525

Comment

I've been taking 200 mg of alpha lipoic acid and 1,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine for over a year and a half with great results. It has totally alleviated my fatigue. The only time it wasn't working was when I was also taking oil of oregano, which evidently clashed with these two supplements and undid all the benefits I was getting.

When you start taking them (and you do need to take both), be sure to take them every morning and every day. It can take up to a month to feel the full effects, though most people start noticing a difference within a week. Also, if you don't see any relief from the fatigue after a month, try doubling the dosage of the acetyl L-carnitine to 2,000 mg as that is the dosage that was used in the clinical trials.

There is a thread that I started with other people's experiences on these two supplements you might be interested in. Many had good results, though some, for whatever reason, did not. I hope they work for you!

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ghlight=acetyl

Hugs!

Lisa
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I started taking both ALA and ALC but stopped because it made my urine smell soooo bad. Has anyone else ever experienced that?
            Opiegirl, Dx 1991
            Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
            Estriol 9/12-present
            Still Hopeful.

Comment

I take 1000 mg ALC and 400 mg ALA each morning. I am amazed at how well it alleviates my fatigue!

phoebe.

Comment

I take 300mg ALA in the morning and 300mg in the evening, which is the dose Dr. Burt Berkson takes, who wrote "The Alpha Lipoic Acid Breakthrough".

This is an interesting article on how ALA may help slow MS progression:

Can Alpha-Lipoic Acid Improve Multiple Sclerosis?

http://www.thenhf.com/article.php?id=414

Comment

Originally posted by opiegirl View Post
                  I started taking both ALA and ALC but stopped because it made my urine smell soooo bad. Has anyone else ever experienced that?
                  I've heard a couple of people who had that happen. To me, I wouldn't care how bad my urine smelled if it gives me relief from that horrible fatigue!
                  Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

headache/ muscle cramp pain

Thanks to this boards rec , I recently began taking ala and alcar for my extreme fatigue. It has not begun to work yet, but I hope in time it will. One thing I have noticed is I have been getting headaches and some weird muscle pain that I believe are related to the ala. I stopped the ala for a week and the headaches and muscle pain/ muscle cramp stopped. I started ala back up again with the alcar because I am desperately seeking relief from the fatique, so I'll deal with the headaches and muscle pain.
                    Does anyone else experience these side effects? Also do you know if with continued use they will go away? Thanks

Comment

hi thanks for all the responses... yea i wouldn't care either about my pee if it helped me from being so tired all the time LOL.

anyway yea that's a great question, I am getting the other stuff this weekend and will begin taking it.

thanks!
                      Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

I took both the ALA and the acetyl L-carnitine for over a year for fatigue as well as the anti-inflamatory effects the last year I was on Rebif. I seemed to work fairly well for a while. My fatigue intially decreased greatly when I stopped the injections, but did start to come back. I was eventually rx'd Ritalin, which is the only prescription drug I take. The Ritalin has helped with many factors contributing to my fatigue, but I still continue to take the ALA for the anti-inflamatory, digestive, and metabolic effects.

Comment

Originally posted by pearlie619 View Post
                          I took both the ALA and the acetyl L-carnitine for over a year for fatigue as well as the anti-inflamatory effects the last year I was on Rebif. I seemed to work fairly well for a while. My fatigue intially decreased greatly when I stopped the injections, but did start to come back. I was eventually rx'd Ritalin, which is the only prescription drug I take. The Ritalin has helped with many factors contributing to my fatigue, but I still continue to take the ALA for the anti-inflamatory, digestive, and metabolic effects.
                          I'm curious about how to get the ingredient? Where can wholesale Alpha Lipoic Acid 99% and acetyl L-carnitine?

Comment

Originally posted by opiegirl View Post
                            I just started a couple weeks ago & yes, I have experienced it. It's only after the first time I go after taking it. However, I take them in the morning, which means I go at work in a public restroom & it literally smells like skunk! lol I try to go as quickly as possible & flush because I can't imagine what someone would think if they smell it lol
                            Diagnosed: May 2012
                            Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
                            Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Is ALA still viable?

Is ALA still viable? I hear it arrested MS in animal studies and some universities ( [Was a link to a OHSU study on ALA but I am to new to post links ) are now doing human trials at 1200mg once and twice a day.

Has anyone tried this and did it help you? My girlfriend has MS and the exhaustion is really taxing her. What would be the best dosage to try?

Are these supplements safe for pregnancy? She is on Rebif (Doctor says it's safe but she should come off it immediately if she gets pregnant). We are wondering if ALA will help when she goes off Rebif.

Comment

Working...
                              X