Only one more week of OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one more week of OT

I need to get my OT to concentrate more on my getting in & out of bed & into wheelchair. My right arm is fine. Left arm is weak & has no feeling. We are doing arm exercises & that is about all.

How do I tell her that I need bed help? I know the arm strength will help transferring but I need/want more.

KK

Hello, I just would say to your OT that you need help in that area. Just tell her straight out and say " I need help in transferring from bed to wheelchair and back. If you dont say they will not know
    Kari

Comment

Have you told her this is where you need the most help?

Actually, I think a PT would be more useful in the transfering area. OTs concentrate mainly on fine motor problems. Definitely talk to the therapist before your visits are up!
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Kellygrn, I think if you tell your OT your concern she'd have some suggestions for you.

I recently met with an OT myself to get some help getting in and out of bed now that my spasticity is so much worse. She showed me info on bed rails and transfer poles and arranged for a trial of a bed rail, she showed me how to use a transfer board to get from the w/c to the bed, she told me about a device that lifts the head of the bed, we tried out using a leg strap to pull my legs over...

She checked out how I transferred in the bathroom, helped me figure out how to get in and out of the car more safely. She checked the setup of the manual w/c that I had bought used, to make sure it fit me properly. She gave me info on roll-in showers, shower/commode chairs, portable ramps, places to look for accessible vehicles...

It was so nice to have someone to talk to about the challenges of everyday living, and to have her offer solutions too!

Comment

OT's can definitely help with bed transfers as mentioned. I encourage you to let the therapist know that it is one of your main goals. Even if you have to say it over and over.

Be an advocate for what your needs are. Unfortunately, not all therapists are alike.

Ask your therapist why transferring and mobility are not being addressed.

If your OT isn't meeting your needs, ask for another. Let me know how things are going.
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

A little angry at the moment

She was supposed to come over today at 1:00. Finally I called her to she why she wasn't here. She cancelled my appointment because she took Monday off.

GRRR!!!!!!

Not that I had plans for today but it would have been nice to know so I could arrange something.

KK

Comment

I am sorry to hear that. That is very unprofessional to say the least.
              Is she with a home health agency?
              I think it's time you talk to someone in charge about your issues. Would you be comfortable with that?

Their services should be provided as you are entitled to receive.
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Today I received a phone call. Was a wrong number. Since I like to talk, I discovered this was my therapists boss. We had been talking about her client that she was supposed to be talking to.

Before I knew it, boss will take of everything. I may have a Saturday appt but I will have 2 appt this week.

KK

Comment

Funny how things happen.

I'm glad you talked with her and I look forward to hearing how things turn out.

Good luck and feel good
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Home Health offered to change OT companies.

Not real sure what to do. I have 3 more weeks. I am getting more strength & energy & even stood up for a few minutes.

She talks about my breathing issues but we only work on my arms. What to do?

KK

Comment

Write down how your MS impacts the things you want/need to do. Be as specific as you can to the activity or task. Present it to the therapist so it can be broken down to assess what it takes to do it and the best treatment for it.

Home health can be very limiting. It is good that she identified breathing issues and hopefully works on breathing exercises and cardio with you. That will help with endurance.
                      "Old school" thought is OT's do arms and PT's do legs. But don't let them do that!! Again, you need to be proactive (which you're doing a great job with) and give the OT the big picture of your needs. She's at your home so go into the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, garden... wherever you need to go for the therapist to assess your needs/abilities and provide treatment accordingly.

Maybe you should print this out for them so they can see an OT is educating you and is on your side for thorough care!
                      Be Well,
                      Susan

Comment

Working...
                      X