Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever feel guilty asking for a prescription?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever feel guilty asking for a prescription?

The last few times I went in to see my neurologist I had to either change a prescription or get something new to help with a new symptom. The first time I mentioned that I was having mild bursts of temporary anxiety. This was a first for me and not in character at all. After a talk, Prozac was suggested. I didn't feel like that was right for me since I don't have depression and don't want to take another maintenance medication. Klonopin was the next suggestion but again, didn't seem like the right fit. So I asked about Xanax as that seemed to be a better solution. I didn't like asking for it, but it really seemed like what I wanted to try as it's an as needed pill before something long term and daily.

Then, when I was having problems with my fatigue medicine not working all that well (Nuvigil and Amantadine) I called and asked about an alternative like Ritalin. I have heard good things about that working for fatigue. I eventually got prescribed Adderall XR which has worked really well for me, but I felt guilty for asking for it.

I have never been to medical school, and I always trust and usually defer to my doctor's advice, but sometimes I feel like I have to advocate for myself and do research on my own so I can feel comfortable with my treatments. I also don't want to be seen as a "problem patient" or worse, a pill chaser. Is there a way to broach the subject of medications that you feel might work without feeling bad?

You should never feel guilty to ask about trying a new medication. I know easier said than done. You have to take an active role in your health care. Do your research on the med and suggest it to the doctor. Be willing to listen to what they have to say about it and be open to alternative meds they might suggest. With MS everyone has different symptoms so meds are different for all of us. If your doctor is not willing to listen to what you suggest you need to find a new one.
    "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

Symptom Relief

I have never been to medical school, and I always trust and usually defer to my doctor's advice, but sometimes I feel like I have to advocate for myself and do research on my own so I can feel comfortable with my treatments. I also don't want to be seen as a "problem patient" or worse, a pill chaser. Is there a way to broach the subject of medications that you feel might work without feeling bad?

I have always believed that I am my own best advocate when it comes to my healthcare. If you are informed about your condition and what it entails you are better able to make the necessary decisions and understand your treatment plan. I always tell my doctors right up front that I am asking a particular question because of something that I read online or was told by someone else. They usually respect that I try to answer me honestly. Tell your doc exactly what you said in your post - that you don't want him to see you as a problem patient or a pill chaser - you just need symptom relief. Stress that you would prefer not to take medication but you cannot see a way around it at this point. Please do not feel bad. You are just trying your best to get as close to "normal" as you can. Hopefully your doc will understand that.

As to seeking relief for anxiety, have you looked into Ativan? Other anti-anxiety drugs you might want to look into include Cymbalta, Zoloft, Paxil and Lexapro.

You should not have to suffer. I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

I know the feeling. I feel a tad guilty asking for meds, but at the same time, if having MS can't get you good drugs, then nothing can. In a word, we deserve to figure out what works for us. My GP was hesitant and I felt like an addict asking for just that - Xanax and Adderall. My Neruo would have written me a prescription for crystal meth.

In all seriousness, I find the need to balance my ups and downs and those meds help. One more note - Meditation helped me amazingly with stress. I still have my Xanax for those terrible moments and my Ritalin (i didn't get Adderall because of the cost) when I have a meeting or something important.

Get what you need. You must must must be your own best advocate.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone; I'm glad there are others out there that feel the same way I do. I was never much of a pill taker before I got sick so this is a bit of an adjustment for me. I feel like I'm making up for lost time with all those good years I had before I got sick!

Comment

yess

I just recently called to ask about fatigue medications. It affects my day-to-day life more than any of my other symptoms. I feel like being nervous to approach it makes me sound even more like a "pill-chaser," especially since nuvigil, provigil, ADD meds are all stimulants, but in reality what else would help most people with MS fatigue??? Also, the ADD meds can help with the great brain fog that accompanies fatigue for me. I call back tomorrow to update my neuro on my fatigue, hopefully I can move forward because I have 4 fast paced summer classes !

Comment

It's especially hard to ask for meds when the Dr. is new. I actually went to my neuro the first tme for a 2 week long migraine. I was asking for a different (maxalt, if I remember right) med when they come on but he thought I was aksing for a pain pill. He said eh wasn't comfortable prescribing pain meds when he didn't really know me. I quickly explained that I wasn't looking for that type of a med. Now, as I've been his patient for over 5 yrs I would feel much more comfortable talking to him about any prescription.

With all the law suits you can't blame them for being cautious but still if you need help you need help.
              What if trials of this life
              Are Your mercies in disguise?
              "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I always feel maybe I'm stepping outside my bounds when I'm disagreeing or suggesting something else. I suppose all healthcare providers have to be a little leery whenever someone is asking for something especially a class II med.

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone! It certainly makes me feel better.

Comment

Working...
                X