IV solumedrol reverse reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV solumedrol reverse reaction

Long story short, I just came off of a week of solu medrol, and have had the following happen to me: low blood pressure, pancreatitis, worsening neuropathy, major gastro stomach stuff, extreme fatigue, tingling in face and tongue, and worse foot drop and ability to walk. No one has an explanation to any of this, it goes against every side effect listed. Doctors think I'm crazy, if it wasn't for the visit to the ER and confirmation of blood tests and BP facts, and confirmation from the 2 ER doctors they would blow me off! Has anyone else out there gone through this or anything like it?

My first course of Solumedrol was a disaster, so I had none after. I knew I was allergic to higher amounts of cortisones, yet they didn't believe. After 3 days of Solumedrol, I had heart issues. I felt so bad, it caused another flare, resulting in severe issues: memory issues, speech issues and more difficulty to walk.

Comment

I had an anaphylactic reaction...not supposed to happen, but it did. Steroids are what they give to control allergic reactions, but I was allergic to the steroids.

Docs don't understand it, but I was in the ER with a swollen face, and my tongue swelled blocking my airway, so they believe it. Everybody's different, and adverse reactions can happen with any med...it just depends on the individual.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, it really helps validate how I feel as the doctors really don't believe me. I ended up having another MRI today to see if there's anything new. I just know I feel different, that something happened, and it had to be the steroid b/c I felt fine before I got it. Thanks again for replying to me

Comment

IVSM reaction

Count me in with you........ended up in the ER last time I did a round. My reactions were elevated blood sugars (normal any other time), fever, rash all over my chest and back, gastro issues, severe headache, insomnia, anxiety....I could go on but learned that I won't be doing them again. Plus it didn't shorten the relapse time, in fact, made it much longer.

Comment

I am in the post drip "crash" stage. Weak way worse than before. I am taking the prednisone taper off pills but weakness is so bad. It happens to me every time I use IV. I don't know why I listened to them.

Comment

I am sorry you are going through such difficulties but I am glad to know that I am not crazy. I had Solu-Medrol in February. My last drip was a
              Sunday. I had leg drag on right side before treatment. By the following Tuesday both legs were weak and more numb. Now both legs drag and the numbness is worse. I can hardly walk anymore. My neuro said she has never heard of Solu making symptoms worse. Whether she heard it before or not it made mine worse.

Take good care.
              "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
              Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessmoon View Post
                Count me in with you........ended up in the ER last time I did a round. My reactions were elevated blood sugars (normal any other time), fever, rash all over my chest and back, gastro issues, severe headache, insomnia, anxiety....I could go on but learned that I won't be doing them again. Plus it didn't shorten the relapse time, in fact, made it much longer.
                WOW, sorry to hear all that. Sounds like me, I won't do it again either, and my doctor keeps saying it wasn't the treatment that caused this, in fact he keeps saying give it time the steroids may still kick in a do their job?? Thanks for giving me your feed back, I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by apple19 View Post
                  I am sorry you are going through such difficulties but I am glad to know that I am not crazy. I had Solu-Medrol in February. My last drip was a
                  Sunday. I had leg drag on right side before treatment. By the following Tuesday both legs were weak and more numb. Now both legs drag and the numbness is worse. I can hardly walk anymore. My neuro said she has never heard of Solu making symptoms worse. Whether she heard it before or not it made mine worse.

Take good care.
                  OMG I'm sorry, I feel for you and can certainly identify with everything you're saying. NO you're not crazy, and neither am I, I think they're the ones who just don't get it!! I can barely walk to the bathroom, good thing I have a walker. My neur said the same thing, they keep trying to blame this on something else, like a viral infection, bottom line is I'm worse than when I started! Please keep me posted on how you are doing, I hope it gets better for you. I go see them Wednesday, lets see what they say then...Stay well

Comment

I got so much worse of predisone. I didn't get the IV drip. I became so weak my whole body was paralyzed. I could walk and was having my first mild flare before the steroids. The steroids caused me soooo much severe weakness I saw three angels visit one night. It put me in a wheelchair, severe dizziness, nausea, dehydration, GI upset and bleeding, anemia, cog fog. . . Every dang symptom increased so severlely It was horrible. Its been 2 years and I still am not back to where I was. That was my first treatment with steroids. It was my last.

Since I started prokarin no more flares and I am moving better. The MS symptoms are much decreased. Its the most improvement I have had since I have had MS. Its my wonder med. You can do a search on it to learn more. Before I flared very often and was loosing my ability to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by rosepetals View Post
                      I got so much worse on predisone. I didn't get the IV drip. I became so weak my whole body was paralyzed. I could walk and was having my first mild flare before the steroids. The steroids caused me soooo much severe weakness I saw three angels visit one night. It put me in a wheelchair, severe dizziness, nausea, dehydration, GI upset and bleeding, anemia, cog fog. . . Every dang symptom increased so severlely It was horrible. Its been 2 years and I still am not back to where I was. That was my first treatment with steroids. It was my last.

Since I started prokarin no more flares and I am moving better. The MS symptoms are much decreased. Its the most improvement I have had since I have had MS. Its my wonder med. You can do a search on it to learn more. Before I flared very often and was loosing my ability to walk.
                      Wow thanks for the information, I will get started on researching it. You sound like you went through he!! with the drip too, my docs won't own up to the fact that the steroids made me worse. It's SOOO frustrating b/c they seem to be oblivious to the personal side of it, like how we feel, how the drug affected us in an adverse way?? My family is so supportive and helps me, but I can't help feeling depressed and crazy at what's happening to me, especially when no one has a clear explanation as to WHY. Thanks for responding! Take care...

Comment

Another horrible side effect I am experiencing is swollen gums. I woke up with a mouth full of blood. Doc says keep eye on it when I mentioned the swelling last week :/

I am fairly obsessive about my teeth. This is freaking me out. Apparently some people get this reaction. SMIV + ME = never again.

Comment

Same thing happened. . .

to me 3 years ago, the last time I had the IV solumedrol. I didn't start feeling better until at least 6 weeks AFTER the treatment! My blood pressure went through the roof, however, during the drip on the third day. I don't know if I'll ever do it again.

Comment

Working...
                          X