Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could use some help with exercise and getting ready for this ms walk

hi

so tonight i began, i lost my limp this a.m. amazingly and felt really good all day long.

i dont' think i'm in remission because my symptoms began again later yet not extreme at all.

so what i did was i walked around a local track at our school. 3 block walk to get there, did it with my daughter and my dog. I wanted to see how my body responded. boy did i find out lol.

i went around the track 2 times, I don't even know if tha'ts equivalent to a mile. I didnt' feel totally winded, yet i got home my legs were literally throbbing. so i right away drank a ton of water and put my legs up and went into the ac.

i've heard starting off walking right away like this isn't good. i'm supposed to exercise certain muscles first?? that's what i need help with.

i'm beginning to think signing up for a 30 mile walk in two days was a bit ambitious shall we say. i forgot i'm not the same me anymore apparentley.

so, any ideas? i'm joining a gym tmrw. we dont' have insurance yet so physical therapy isn't an option.

any advice would be great. this walk to me for some reason has become important since i registered.

thanks!
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

It is great to hear how well you feel and I am very impressed with your motivation. However, I must agree though, jumping into a 30 mile walk might be a bit too ambitious.

As far as the symptoms returning, was that after a walk or exercise? Heat and over exertion can cause current symptoms to worsen and old symptoms resurface. Did things settle down after rest? If so, then MS fatigue surfaced and was telling you, you over did it.

Going to a gym is good a good idea but take caution with those machines. Some of the best strengthening exercises doesn't require weights at all, just ask those in yoga and pilates! Swimming is also great to do.

Start slow and light, stay hydrated, be sure to stretch every where and most of all, take ample rest breaks.

What I do for body stretching is as follows:
    Neck - move down/up, left/right, and circles. Move in one direction then back to center and do that 8 times. Then go to the next. Don't move all the way down then all the way up, or all the way to left then right. Separate the movements.
    Shoulders- Arms at your side, roll shoulders back 8 times, forward 8 times. Try to keep arms close to body so it's singling out the shoulder
    Arms/hands: clasp hands and make figure eight in one direction 8 times, then 8 times the other direction.
    Hips: Hands on hips and move hips around the right 8 times, left 8 times. Vision scooping mayo out of a jar with your hips to get the roll (that's what I was told!). Try to isolate the hips and limit other body parts moving.
    Ankles: Hands on knees and again, move knees circling to right and left 8 times each.
    Toes: Put one foot in front of the other (may need to brace with wall a bit or so) and with the back foot roll those toes 8 to the right and then 8 to the left. Switch feet.

This warm up is really great. I learned it from my yoga instructor. You only have to do each area in sets of 8 one time.

It would be great to participate in the walk. Perhaps do a little (key word -little) walking and have a scooter with you. Or just do it by scooter. I do all my MS Walks by scooter.
    Maybe there are areas you can volunteer at so you can still take part in the event without having to walk very much or at all.

I encourage you to keep things realistic. Unfortunately you can pay the consequence physically and you certainly don't want to jeopardize your safety or potentially cause harm to your body.

I hope this helps.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

hi thanks for the info. i was in pain after it, yet funny thing is no spasms last night at all after that and no leg pain..

ive heard that overheating doesn't hurt you, it just calms down as soon as i get into the a.c. again.

great info thank you so much. i'm going to re read thru all of that.
      Jen Dx'd 5/11
      "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Heat doesn't hurt you as in triggering a relapse, but it can make current symptoms worse and old symptoms resurface as mentioned previously. It will subside as the body cools down and rests.
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X