Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise

I have a question and I need an answer if possible!! I started going out and walking two miles a day a week ago Tuesday and it has made my pain worse in my feet and hips! Is this something I just need to get use to or should I stop?? I am 62 and I was Dx in 1997 and I have PPMS. I need some input on the subject! Thanks so much! My Email is *****e-mail address removed as per guidelines. You may put it in your profile*****

Exercise is definitely recommended, however, there are a couple things to take into consideration.

1. Stretching prior to and after exercise is a must
    2. Avoid overdoing it. Start slow. Depending how often you had been walking before or what your current MS status is, you may need to reduce the distance and/or the frequency
    3. Hydrate. Water is a must before, during and after
    Along that note, avoid caffeine (including coffee, tea, iced tea) as it is a diuretic which gets rid of water in the body
    4. Plan rest stops during the walk.
    5. Consider the time of day and the weather
    6. Make sure shoes are well fitted and appropriate for walking. There are many sneakers but not all are intended for walking. If you are using old shoes, it may be time to get fitted for new ones.

Journal your walks and other activities as you make modifications. You may be able to recognize a trigger or two that cause/worsens pain and may even be able to identify things that make it better. I do not believe in the "no pain, no gain" theory.

I hope these suggestions help. Let me know how it goes
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thank you so much for your help and I will try these! The thing that bothers me the most are the cramps in my toes and feet! What could cause that? Thanks for your help!

Comment

that was great info i have the same cramping in my toes also! ugh! i heard magnesium can help with the cramping..
        Jen Dx'd 5/11
        "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I'm glad the information is helpful

Magnesium may help the cramping in addition to potassium - such as a banana a day (just don't tell the apple!). Be sure to check with your doctor before adding supplements to ensure you are getting the right amount.

I also have foot and toe cramping. I find what helps me is stretching, exercising and massaging my feet and toes. I start with massage first. I just add a bit of lotion and start with the foot including the ankle. Then I massage each toe.

When I rub each toe, I move each toe individually, all the way up and down by hand with a gentle stretch if they are stiff. I follow that with moving them in their own.
          I will end with exercising the foot up and down and set to side in sets of 8. You can also point your toes and do circles or vision trying to write letters of the alphabet with your big toe. That will help the ankle, foot and toes with range of motion, coordination, stretching and strengthening.
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

Working...
          X