Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone from Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hi all
    I am wondering if there is anyone on this site from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Reason being is , Im wondering if someone can explain if there is any financial assisstance with the cost of the drugs eg. disease modifying injections. They are very expensive and I do not have a drug plan. Thanks Heather

Hi Heather,

I am from halifax. I am on Rebif and I use the rebismart injector. It is completely covered by our provincial health care, all you have to pay is the despensing fee of about 10.00 once everything three months. As far as I know copaxane and Avonex are also covered.

You have to pick it up at the VG pharamcy though they are only open Mon-Friday from 8-4, which I find challenging because that is when I work. But I think they will leave it at the other pharamcy in the hospital if you can't get there during regular hours. The other pharamacy is open until 11:00.

When I was diagnosed last year the MS clinic explained all that stuff to me. They are really helpful here and I am sure will be able to give you more information then me. But the injectable meds are covered by MSI, no charge to you. (well our tax dollars pay for it, but now I finally feel like the 1/3 of my pay check that goes to taxes is helping me. ha!)

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply to my message. We are living in Scotland at the moment and I was diagnosed with MS recently. We plan to move back to NS one day and when I was diagnosed I thought I may not be able to do this as the drugs here are provided free and thought I would have to pay in Canada. I know each province is different but it was NS we want to head back to. No problem collecting from the VG . I know NS have a super MS support centre. Hope you are well. Heather

Comment

No Problem. I find the MS Clinic here wonderful to deal with. Very supportive. I am a little jealous of you living in Scotland though, can't lie! haha! If you move back here and don't live in the city the VG will send your meds out on a bus or mail, but if you live in the HRM you gotta pick them up. Just thought you would like to know that in case you wanted to live outside the city when you move back

Jill

Comment

Hi
          I grew up in Dartmouth...will eventually be moving back. Good question you asked!Glad there is good support there.
          You can take the girl out of Dartmouth but you can't take the Dartmouth out of the girl!
          Take care.

Comment

This is a great place to get answers quick. Thanks very much for the replies. I hear NS has been getting lots of rain lately. My brother and sister in law are coming over to visit us here in Scotland , just hope the weather will be good for them. We used to live in Cole Harbour and hope to return in a few years so it is great to know the VG supplies these meds. and there is a good network support. I used to work in the QE11 as a casual pharmacy tech. Hope to get back over for a visit soon. Thanks again Heather

Comment

Working...
            X