grooming in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grooming in general

there was an earlier thread about tweezing eyebrows that got me wondering if there is anything out there to help with other grooming issues.

For example hair...I have long curly hair and even washing it is painful, I had blowed dried in over a year and half (since my hand went all funny). I can't stand to have my hair short, It is even harder to deal with short then it is long.

Or Shaving your legs, holding the razor is an issue and finding balance is an issue.

Eyebrows are definitely an issue but I have taken to paying someone else. I know I could just do that for the legs too (waxing or laser) but it is sooooooooooooooooooo expensive...bring on the lottery!

Ideas?

Well, let's see. I bought an electric razor that you can also use in the shower (Panasonic makes it), although I do still like to use my Venus to shave my legs. The electric razor is one concept for you, though. . I have a shower chair, so I don't worry about falling in the shower. (Plus, I can't stand up anymore.... )

I have short hair, so I can't help you in that regard. I agree, it does seem to take more time to get it right then long(er) hair. I go to a salon to have my manis and pedis. The Asian (Vietnamese-owned, mainly) are less expensive and just as good, IMO
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I realize I'm in the minority, but I cut my own hair with an electric clipper set on 1 1/2 inches...same length all over. Once upon a time I wore it down to my waist, but it started to get thinner a while back and I gave up on it. I've found that I like having a buzzcut, and I even get the occasional compliment for it.

I used to pluck my eyebrows, but now I let them do what they want to do.

I haven't shaved my legs (or armpits) since my early 20s...first I was a Hippie, now I just joke that I'm European!

Seriously, I still look fine without all the "maintenance" and I don't have to struggle with MS-imposed limitations on what I can do for myself, nor pay anyone else to do it for me.

There's a lot of freedom to be had by going natural.

Comment

There's a disposable women's razor called Intuition (I think it's made by Schick.) It's great. Wide handle, easy to grip, wide blade that's inbedded in soap like material. Makes shaving your legs go extra quick. We have a bench built in our shower, but a shower chair will help with balance issues while shaving.

I'm with you, I pay for my eyebrows (way too hard for me to do...and affordable, I just have it done when I'm at the hair salon.)

If your problem is holding the hair dryer, they do have hair dryer stands that will hold the hair dryer in place while you dry your hair...they're fairly inexpensive.

If ironing counts as grooming, I have an ironing board set up in my closet that attaches to the wall...I don't have to put it up and take it down, which is really helpful. It just folds back to the wall when I'm done with it.

Comment

Hi there. When I get ready for the day I have a shower chair. Then to blow dry my hair I sit in my wheelchair, you can use a chair. As for my eye brows my oldest tweezed my eyebrows and that was torture my gosh that hurt. I never tweezed my brows. LOL I get my brows waxed now.
          For my legs I use Nair, so much easier then shaving. I am such an advocate on conservation of energy, I learned that from my O.T. I hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the responses folks! very helpful

Comment

Assistive devices are available to help

Hair care:
              Use shampoo/conditioner combination,
              Leave in conditioners to make hair easier to brush,
              No rinse shampoo,
              Try different brushes. You can purchase long handled brushes or make them yourself (a bit trickier),
              Don't wash hair every day,
              Have someone else assist in hair care when needed - there are different shampoo trays,

Tweezing:
              I leave my brows thicker so they require minimal tweezing.
              There are different tweezers that work better than others. I use tweezerman brand. They have different shapes and seem to work really well.
              There are different types of easy grip adaptive tweezers (you can try adding a little putty-enough on the outside for you to grip and just enough inside so it's not in the way of the tweezer closing,
              There are tweezers with magnifier attached to see easier and make the process quicker,
              At home waxing kits are reasonably price and last awhile

Shaving:
              Adding adaptive cuffs to electric razer,
              I use Epilady razer... It's like an automatic tweezer/shaver system. Must say, it can be a bit uncomfortable at first but if you don't let the hair get too long, it's tolerable. You get used to it as well and it lasts just as well as waxing.

I know these adaptive items can get a bit costly especially if getting several. However, it's (usually) a one time purchase and if it promotes Independence with decreased pain, well that's priceless!
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

I have to agree w/ Sequoia, I have my hair short as it's so thin & you see my scalp. I don't shave ANYTHING! I go to the same girl at Walmarts about every 2-3 mo.for $20.00
                including tip I'm set.
                I have a walkin shower w/ a showerchair,I use a hand heldsprayer very easy.
                I have my own wing at my DD house,Than 3 weeks ago my DG'daughter fell & dislocated her knee cap,she is in a full ankle-to midthigh brace & on crutches. Well all of a sudden my shower & chair became very popular LOL.
                I don't mind at all but poor thing,she is 10 & just starting that very shy-modest age,well her daddy had to carry her in to the shower as no weight can be put on thr knee,thier was my DD w/ the towles & Emily almost in tears as it slipped off, her Daddy saying I know what you look like & I'm not looking!
                Well after 3weeks they have it all down to perfect team-work. She still has about another mo to go,before she can try putting weight on the knee.It's just such a blessing she is homeschooled. It just proves you never know from one day to the next what will happen!
                God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Here's what I've learned:

Hair...
                  1)I keep it long, braid it and I don't have to comb it everyday, and needs washing less!!! Besides, one of my Grandsons loves me to have "Avatar" hair.
                  2) I wash my hair with conditioner only, no shampoo! A friend taught me this a few years ago, and it works! I put a lot of conditioner on my head, down through my hair...scrub like it's shampoo, rinse it ALL out, my hair is lovely (not at all greasy) and I also save the cost of shampoo.
                  3) I wash the top of my hair/head, by keeping my elbows on my knees, otherwise my arms would tire way too much. I only have to lift my arms to rinse it all out.
                  4) I still have to get the holder for the hair dryer, other than my daughter!

Teeth:
                  Electric tooth brush!!! They are so much lighter then years ago.

Shaving:
                  1)I have learned to shave my underarms without having to lift my arms all the way, but do have to rely on my daughter to look to see if I got it all as I can't bend my neck that far! (Guess I could use a mirror)
                  2) I shave my legs while they are bent for washing my hair... the conditioner from rinsing my hair helps smooth my legs for shaving (maybe I'm just cheap?)
                  MS, it's a brain thang!
                  Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

This is a great thread - I just posted on the ladies board about shaving.

My electric razor that I use for my armpits leaves too much stubble on my legs. Maybe it's time for a newer model to try on my legs.

I can't stand the hair, so I need to do something with it!

Thanks

Comment

Thank you for the conditioner idea for shaving, I will try that and pass that along as well!
                      Be Well,
                      Susan

Comment

I have a stand that my dryer stays in. Only have one arm that works. I use that arm to brush my hair while the dryer blows.

I use Nair for removing hair. Put it on before shower, rinse off in shower.

Eyebrows, I wear glasses that pretty much hide them. Don't even try any more.

KK

Comment

I am lucky in that i get some government funded personal assistance here in Australia, i get an hour a day and having this solves most of these kinds of issues for me- I do keep my hair really short to make that easier to manage, and i must admit that i do not worry to much about shaving legs (or leg in my case) as i stopped wearing skirts and dresses once i needed a permanent catheter.

I have also used a personal groomer (small battery Shaver) to deal with underarm hair and find that an electric toothbrush helps too.

My concerns before having my carer were more about the risks of falling in the shower when transferring to an from the shower chair and that is no longer an issue.

the other side of the grooming issue is the laundry/ironing issues- i live alone and before i had the carer i was really struggling but she is a great help- even so, these days i pick my wardrobe based on what is easy to care for/maintain and what is also easy for my to get dressed unundressed in - my carer comes once a day, so i still need to be able to manage this alone.

in recent times i have gone back to making some of my own clothes as i can alter then to make it easier to get dressed and undressed, to make getting access to my catheter bag easier etc. and this has also helped. I cannot cut the pieces from the fabric alone as it is just too awkward from a wheelchair, without a cutting table, so i get that done for me and then the rest i can manage.

It took me a long time to get access to the carer and i live alone with no family to assist, so when i found things getting tough to manage, i found the OT's often had great ideas on how to manage better

Comment

It's wonderful to hear you have found ways and receive(d) assistance and suggestions to make things easier.

Occupational Therapy promotes independence in the job of living!
                            Be Well,
                            Susan

Comment

Working...
                            X