Tweezing eyebrows and trimming bangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweezing eyebrows and trimming bangs

I'm having trouble with my hands to do these things. Does anyone have a tip other than having someone else help me? My right hand works pretty well (I'm right-handed) but my left one doesn't move real well any more.

A lot of people (women?) consider these to be luxuries they'll pay someone else to do (I'm not one of those people). I'm right-handed and my right hand works well enough that I can do these myself. Maybe this could be one of those topics -- self-care -- that could be brought up under the new subforum of Occupational Therapy?

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
      I'm having trouble with my hands to do these things. Does anyone have a tip other than having someone else help me? My right hand works pretty well (I'm right-handed) but my left one doesn't move real well any more.
      I was a f/t hairstylist & salon mgr when I was dx'd with MS 7yrs ago. I can no longer cut hair as a career but I still do friends & family. My suggestion for tweezing would be to invest in a quality pair of tweezers. Find a pair that are wider,flat & are slanted. Those work best for me.

For trimming your bangs what you need to do is dampen your bangs, remember, they are longer when wet so cut them a little longer than where you want them to fall. Comb them smooth and gather them into the center, a V shape, still keeping them smooth. This not only gives you less to cut but it also gives a nice shape. I hope this helps!
      "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

My hairdresser will trim my bangs at no charge between cuts. If you have a hairdresser you may want to ask them what they charge for a bang trim in-between - you may be pleasantly surprised.

You can also check out a beauty school. They do great, affordable cuts ($5). We've never had a bad cut from our local beauty school.

Comment

Personally, I have thick eyebrows and do minor tweezing. I find it easier to do and heck, I think they look just fine!
          The tweezer I use is tweezerman, they are easy to use. The bigger the tip (usually the slanted ones), the easier they are to grip. Also, the duller the tweezer, the more work they are.
          There are also tweezers that have a texture on them to make it easier to grip. You can order online that may help. Try to add texture to your tweezer to see if that helps.

When you tweeze, let your arm rest on counter to minimize having to hold your arm/hand up. Also, have a good magnifying mirror.
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

re eyebrows: I don't know if you'll be interested in this or not, but when I developed poor hand control, I started getting electrolysis. I went fairly frequently at first; but now just go in a couple times a year (mostly for chin hairs). It's just something I don't have to think about anymore.

Comment

For bangs

Don't know if this will work but used to do this when my daughter was young and I cut her hair.
              Leave hair dry and tape across the bottom of the bangs. You can get the special pink hairdresser tape or scotch tape worked for me too. This allowed her some movement while cutting and I wouldn't end up taking off 2 inches!
              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X