X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT/Hand Tremor

Susan,

First let me just say Thank you!!

I've done a good round of OT about 6 years ago and it was a wonderful experience. I was so appreciative of my Occupational Therapist. Thanks for answering our questions and being here for us.

I am a photographer and have had to close down my business due mostly to my cognitive issues, but also due to my hand tremor that has progressively gotten worse. I continue to do my photography as a hobby (can never give it up!), but the brace I use is just not cutting it anymore. It is just one of those used for carpel tunnel syndrome, but I just used it for immobilizing my hand while holding my camera.

My neuro suggested weights (and another round of OT), but didn't tell me anything else. Is there a weighted brace of some sort that you would recommend? It is my left hand and unfortunately I am as ambidextrous as you can get, so I rely on my left hand as much as my right.

I do plan on doing another round of OT, but it won't be until this fall when all my kids are in school full time. Summer is busy season for photographers... and the heat is the worst for me too, so kind of a double-edged sword. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time!!
    Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Thank you for the welcome Erin!

For many people, weights on the wrist can slow and even eliminate tremors. Weighted utensils help for eating. The tremor is likely to be occurring because of weakness which can worsen from fatigue. Your hands are further away from the body so not only do you have to deal with the weight of the item you may be holding, but you have gravity to deal with!

Wrist weights such as ones that velcro on or slide over the hand for exercise are most commonly used. The OT would be able to assess what works best for you to eliminate the tremor and not add to much weight where the hand/arm fatigues. You will need to get a prescription for OT and I suggest it. There are many options and exercises that can be provided.

Splints are good but need to be assessed for the right position and size. If not, they can just be in the way.

Also, if you support your elbow, such as propping your arms on a table to take a photo, can often make a difference. You just want to be careful not to be leaning on it too hard or too often where it affects the nerve.

Think about time of day. Perhaps you have the tremors worse in the later part and may need to schedule things only in the morning.
    Write your experiences down. It's one of the best ways for you and your doctor to gain insight. Example: Write what makes it better/worse and if there's a time of day that it's better/worse.

Stay focused and keep taking those pictures!
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan!

My hand tremor is pretty much all the time now and has gotten really severe. It used to be infrequent, but I am not on some medication that is (sort of) helping. I've had it for 7 years now... so I guess it is just kind of the progression of the disease. Your explanation about tremors makes sense! My left side is my weak side- so no wonder I have a tremor there.

Mornings are definitely better for me, but getting people to schedule sessions early enough in the summer for the light is hard (best time is half an hour before/after sunrise or sunset). Ha ha- that would be 5am or so...!

Which is why I am finally "giving in" to the weights. I am afraid of more fatigue. Using a tripod would be best, but it is just not my style of shooting. What a frustrating disease this is!!!

I have a feeling I won't be able to wait until fall for my OT. The great part about my OT is that once I have been established at my Neurorehab center (which I have), I don't have to wait for my neurologist to order it. I can call anytime and they can assess me and we can decide together whether I need it (love this place!). Since my neuro suggested it, it won't be an issue, but I don't have an appt w/her until the fall. Anyway- they are a GREAT place for OT, Speech & Physical Therapy. I wish everyone had access to this (and I wish I wasn't as stubborn about doing it, lol).

Anyway- thank you for your advice! I appreciate it!
      Erin

Comment

HELLO SUSAN

I TYPE A LOT- AND I HAVE NOTICE MY HANDS WANT TO SHAKE AND NOT STAY ON THE KEYS- IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO HELP ME? I TAKE WATER EXERCISES 3 TIMES A WK- SO I DO EXERCISE!
        I GOT TO KEEP IT MOVIN-
        ;DM.S. + MY STORY = I WILL SURVIVE THIS STORM TOO! AUDREY R

Comment

Hand tremors

Originally posted by photomama View Post
          Thank you Susan!

My hand tremor is pretty much all the time now and has gotten really severe. It used to be infrequent, but I am not on some medication that is (sort of) helping. I've had it for 7 years now... so I guess it is just kind of the progression of the disease. Your explanation about tremors makes sense! My left side is my weak side- so no wonder I have a tremor there.

Mornings are definitely better for me, but getting people to schedule sessions early enough in the summer for the light is hard (best time is half an hour before/after sunrise or sunset). Ha ha- that would be 5am or so...!

Which is why I am finally "giving in" to the weights. I am afraid of more fatigue. Using a tripod would be best, but it is just not my style of shooting. What a frustrating disease this is!!!

I have a feeling I won't be able to wait until fall for my OT. The great part about my OT is that once I have been established at my Neurorehab center (which I have), I don't have to wait for my neurologist to order it. I can call anytime and they can assess me and we can decide together whether I need it (love this place!). Since my neuro suggested it, it won't be an issue, but I don't have an appt w/her until the fall. Anyway- they are a GREAT place for OT, Speech & Physical Therapy. I wish everyone had access to this (and I wish I wasn't as stubborn about doing it, lol).

Anyway- thank you for your advice! I appreciate it!
          I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only person who has MS whose principal problem is shaking hands. I'm very right handed, so ov course, it had to be my right hand that started shaking first. I, too, like to take pictures, but that is for my own benefit. What I really miss is being able to write.
          First, I switched to my left hand. However, when I had begun to get fairly profecient with that hand, it started to shake, too. It's not as bad as my right. I can still pick up a coffee cup with my left hand without spilling the liquid most of the time, but I cannot write out a check. This seamstress cannot hang onto a needle or cook a decent meal for m y husband. I tried weighted silverware, but my fingers work much better getting food to my mouth. They don't make weighted serving pieces or spatulas. I have an appointment for evaluation for O.T. tomorrow. Please pray that someone will be able to help. The fact that I'm 76 years old and have osteoarthritis worse in my hands than any other part of my body. On second thought, maybe you'd best pray for the therapist.

Comment

Hi Shaky!

My very first symptom was the hand tremor. I assumed it was carpal tunnel or something and ignored it. Now it is so bad (even with the meds) that I think people think I'm a drug addict (especially with my balance problems).

My other hand isn't too bad thankfully, unless I get too hot or fatigued. I do like to sew- though I am not very good at it and I usually have to ask my husband for help with threading the needle. I haven't sewn in a long while and it scares me to think about a needle in my shaky hands- even on a good day! I have dresses I've been wanting to make for my daughter that I don't think will ever get done now.

Sorry you have such a hard time with hand tremors too! But it is nice to know I am not alone.

So glad you are going in for OT. I will send prayers your way (and your OT's way too, lol). I bet they will be able to help you with the cooking part. I wonder it there is a way to tape (like electrical tape) some lighter weights to your favorite utensils for cooking? Wouldn't be easy to clean, but might help for cooking?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
            Erin

Comment

Typing

Hi HIPSTER40, I want to address your typing issue:
              Try resting the arm(s) on rolled towels, chair arm rests or any support. Make sure you are allowing freedom for the hands for typing and be sure to stay in good posture at all times. Avoid leaning on the arm too hard or for too long as you don’t want to press on the nerve. Many keyboards have support cushions (or you can get/make them) that allows you to rest your wrists on enabling your fingers to move freely. Remember to take breaks often to prevent impingement on the wrists and limit finger fatigue.

The goal is to support the arm so the hand is the only part moving. And if your hand is resting on the cushion, then the fingers are the only parts moving. The more you stabilize the parts of the body that is farther away from the trunk, such as the hand, the less you fight with gravity and the other muscles don't have to work so hard.

There are keyboards that require less pressure to press the keys and programs that allow you to talk and it will type for you. Keyboards letters come in large sizes or smaller, even rounded so the right and left sides are in separated a bit and in more natural position.

I hope this helps!
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X