DROP FOOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DROP FOOT

Please anyone, just need to find out if anyone else has foot drop and if it progressed to the other foot also.
    I am just plain scared
    I am afraid I will not be walking much longer and I just have to know what this is that's wrong with me.
    I will have the emg done this wednesday and maybe that will point to something.
    I have atrophy in my foot it runs along the top of my foot along the line of my big toe(that scares me).
    my heals are turning inward like their dislocating.
    I'm just in a feel sorry for myself mood but mostly scared.
    God bless you for listening, Linda

I do have drop foot, but it's due to an injury from a fall, not directly as a result of the MS.

Have you gotten an AFO, or anything else to help keep your foot from turning and curling? I have an AFO to wear when I walk (though I don't generally) and a DynaSplint to wear when I'm not walking. I do wear the DynaSplint, and it's supposed to help keep the muscles stretched and help stop the foot from curling more than it already has. I just got the DynaSplint a few weeks ago, so I'm still building up my time, but eventually I'm supposed to wear it while sleeping. Mine is covered by Medicare, and my podiatrist prescribed it with my neuro's blessing.

Good luck to you,
    Ntombi
    Unrecognized Sx since mid-90s, became ill in 2003, diagnosed in 2005 at age 31.
    On Copaxone since diagnosis, considering a switch to Tysabri or Gilenya.

Comment

ntombi thank you so much for your response
      no I don't have any kind of afo but I defiantley need them.
      I fond out 2 years ago that I had foot drop when I went to the poditrist which he suggested I see a neuro.
      I honestly don't know why no one has offered any kind of afo for me..
      it has now progressed that it is on the other foot. the only way I truly am walking is lifting my leg with my hip and it is killing my hips, they hurt so bad.

do you think I should go back to the podiatrist I seen 2years ago for a script? Is foot drop a diagnosis alone enough to get an afo?
      because I still don't have an answer to whats causing it.
      again bless you for the info Linda

Comment

I would definitely go back to either the podiatrist or the neuro. I would think that that diagnosis is enough, because it's well known that we have to lift our entire leg unnaturally in order to walk. That wonky gait can have serious consequences. Right now, I'm dealing with an exacerbation of Achilles Tendonitis (that I've had since a college softball injury) and a new diagnosis of Bursitis, both in the non-foot-drop foot, and both are almost certainly due to my wonky foot drop gait.

That, plus the fact that having to compensate for the foot drop adds to fatigue, are good reasons to get an AFO covered.

I'm sitting here right now in my DynaSplint, which isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, but it is what it is.

Get in to see whichever doctor you think would be more open to going through the process; a PCP could also prescribe one.

Good luck, and I hope you can reverse it!
        Ntombi
        Unrecognized Sx since mid-90s, became ill in 2003, diagnosed in 2005 at age 31.
        On Copaxone since diagnosis, considering a switch to Tysabri or Gilenya.

Comment

Originally posted by TNEECGIRL View Post
          Please anyone, just need to find out if anyone else has foot drop and if it progressed to the other foot also.
          I am just plain scared
          I am afraid I will not be walking much longer and I just have to know what this is that's wrong with me.
          I will have the emg done this wednesday and maybe that will point to something.
          I have atrophy in my foot it runs along the top of my foot along the line of my big toe(that scares me).
          my heals are turning inward like their dislocating.
          I'm just in a feel sorry for myself mood but mostly scared.
          God bless you for listening, Linda
          Hi TNEECGIRL...

I have foot drop (r). My first sx actually, noticed in middle late 90's. Wasn't bad, ignored it.

Was dx with MS in '08 and began C. The foot drop didn't get terribly worse before C, and is the same since. Pronounced when fatigued after exercise. So, of course a treadmill is out of the question.

My right ankle tends outward much more so with fatigue. In general as with all gait / balance issues I have to think about what I'm doing constantly. That said I am good for 1/4 mile or so without real problems.

Linda, I hope this eases your anxiety somewhat.... Others will be different, some better some worse.

Jer

Comment

thanks jer
            I didn't get this anxious till the other foot started going down hill too. I know what you mean by not over doing it, rest is a good thing when your body tells you too. thanks for the uplifting resonse. blessings, Linda

Comment

Don't let you spirits drop

Good morning,
              Foot drop is a common symptom of MS, in fact I have the same problem - including a bit of atrophy. It is also common if you have back issues from other causes such as herniated discs.
              It is important to let the doctor know what is going on so an assessment can be made of range of motion, muscle strength, reflexes, and more. I suggest going to a neurologist as it is most likely occurring because of issues in the spinal area.

You can get a prescription for physical therapy and they can work on strengthening the foot, help with balance and provide an assistive walking device if you don't already have (i.e. cane/walker). The structure and movement of the foot is very important for proper walking.

Safety is very important. Be aware of your environment including the ground you are walking on (rug verses tile, grass verses concrete). Make the home safe. For example, eliminate throw rugs, keep cords out of walking area, put a railing near any steps, use hand rails for showering/bathing and bath mat inside and outside. Be careful of hot water as your sensation might be impaired.
              Wear good fitting shoes that aren't too heavy. Use an assistive device (i.e. cane) if you've been issued one.
              From my personal experience, don't walk around barefoot. It leaves the foot unsupported and easy to get your toes caught. The foot gets fatigued very fast.

An order for orthoses may be made to maintain the foot in proper alignment as mentioned in previous post. They can make a big difference in many ways.

As you are aware of the changes that are or have occurred, write the information down so you can share it with the doctor. The more information you can give the better.

Most of all, keep your spirits up and take things one step at a time.
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Hi ! I have foot drop & wear an AFO. It really helps.
                My neuro sent me to a foot Dr. & he got me my AFO,
                As my MS is all on my right side,it helps balance me.
                Keep us posted,God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I've had foot drop for about 13 years. Recently I've started getting a burning pain just in front of the outside ankle bone. I had it for about a month and then it went away, gone for a few weeks and now back again yesterday. It isn't constant but really hurts and makes me afraid my ankle will give out and I'll fall. Even though I've had symptoms going back 18 years I don't have a diagnosis. Last MRI was in 2004 -- small lesion "consistent with small vessel disease". I still believe I have MS but don't currently have insurance for more testing.

Comment

The first thing I want to mention again is to always wear something on your feet whether it's a non-skid slipper to a light weight sneaker. Stay away from high heel shoes, flip flops or sandals without straps. You want to make sure you can feel your feet on the ground as much as possible. I have drop foot and it makes a difference.

If you can't get an AFO (ankle-foot orthotic), try using one of the ankle supports from the drugstore. That is what I do and it seems to help a little. However, I find the brand I have can get tight with heat and walking and I need to remove it, so be aware of that.

Don't forget to exercise your feet. The more you do the better. Move your feet up and down whenever you think of it. Great to do when watching t.v. Wiggle your toes! If your foot can tolerate resistance, place it under something that can give resistance (such as a cocktail table) and try to move your foot upward toward it. Do it in sets of 5 and start out slowly. You want to build strength and limit atrophy (decrease in muscle mass).

If you have sensory changes, be careful when entering tub/shower for water temperature. Use your arm or hand to check for heat.

Always wear shoes to avoid injury to the foot you may not feel.

Lastly, try to keep a log (journal) of what you experience and feel as much as you can.

I hope these additional suggestions help.
                    Be Well,
                    Susan

Comment

I never go barefoot, mostly wear slippers. As for exercising the foot with foot drop -- I wish I could move it up and down. Wiggle my toes?? Again, I wish! I can stand at the kitchen counter and do toe raises as long as I balance myself. Since I can't wiggle my toes maybe it's more than drop foot? I have a friend who used to be a nurse and what I call left sided (arm and leg but no facial involvement) weakness she refers to as paralysis. Well, I can still take care of myself so that's what matters, right?

Comment

I also have foot drop. I was fitted fro an AFO & I love it .
                        Your Podiartist should be able to write a script for one. It needs to be made for your foot & leg, fitted properly,it's very easy to have done.
                        God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Aaaah foot drop = my personal flippers. I am thankful that I have very small feet. My foot drop has been progressing.

I am just getting started in the VA system so hopefully this will get addressed shortly.

My daughter is a dance minor and is home for the summer. She has been helping me stretch my legs while we watch TV. She lays on one end of the couch and I am on the other. She lines her feet up with mine and pushes my feet to stretch my legs. I also work on pushing back. Having her feel my strength gives me an outside opinion on how I am doing.

Comment

@SusanD.... I also have foot drop. I do not understand what the measurement means when the PT put some device by my foot, pushed on my foot, then told me the normal range of motion was 20, but my foot was at -10. She said she was only able to push my foot to a -8 or -5. She also told me that it looks like my leg bone (from the knee down), seems to have turned? MS does this? If you can explain, I would appreciate it!

@Katvar.....are you going to the VAMC, or are they farming you out? I've been farmed out for PT, thankfully, but haven't found out how they will work out getting me a brace for the footdrop.
                            MS, it's a brain thang!
                            Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Unfortunately I do not know what the device is and how it works. I will look into that for you.
                              Be Well,
                              Susan

Comment

Working...
                              X