Which leg is my bad one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which leg is my bad one?

I know this is a question for an occupational therapist, but that will take time to get an appointment. Until then, I am looking for opinions.

I have been wondering for a while which leg is going all the limping. I generally blame my right leg because thats the side with foot drop. I went to put on my shoes this morning (the ones I don't bother putting the inserts in) and found that there is hole in the heel lining/cushion from exessive wear. The left shoe looks like it is barely worn on the inside

Am I favoring the left side so much that it doesn't wear out the shoe? I have a cane but now I am not sure which side it should be on. I hate using it, because well because I just do.

THA IS A QUESTION I ASK MYSELF ALL THE TIME- I JUST MAKE THE WEAKER LEG WORK HARDER! OT/PT THEY WILL JUST WORK BOTH OF THEM- I KNOW THATS WHAT THEY DID TO ME-
    I GOT TO KEEP IT MOVIN-
    ;DM.S. + MY STORY = I WILL SURVIVE THIS STORM TOO! AUDREY R

Comment

Your post made me smile because I used to ask my PT the same question. My right leg had bad spasticity and contracture at the ankle. My right hip was very spastic...but my left side is the side that has weakness and is ataxic.

Since getting the baclofen pump I don't limp...so I'm assuming it was the spastic leg/hip that caused it.

Weird how we can't determine what is causing certain problems....strange disease!

Comment

You can definitely have issues with both legs that would require compensation from the other leg which can go back and forth based on the task on hand.

Having one shoe worn out more than the other does imply you are putting more pressure on it. Definitely get new shoes and keep with the insert. Use assistive device, either cane or walker, to help with balance and promote proper gait sequence.

Continue with therapy/exercises to maintain range of motion, strength and endurance. Try not to fatigue the legs. It will make it more difficult for natural movements.
        Therapy and exercises should also work on the hip and pelvis. Several muscles from the upper thigh are attached to many areas there. Stretching is important to do every day as well.
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Glad someone brought this up.

My left side (esp. the leg) has always been the weaker one. However, after this relapse began, both legs seem to take turns with: foot drop, heaviness, spasticity, etc. I noticed that my left foot is often sore on the left side of the bottom of my foot (yes, it probably has a name ;p). I think one neuro noted it as "patient tends to circumvent left foot."

Also am really feeling the stress on my core muscles, because they are doing ALL the work, lately. I know I need a LOT of work in PT and am really looking forward to it starting on Monday. I know I will need stretching exercises and core strengthening, but I think there will be even more to work on than before. Sure hope I have enough days of PT on my insurance to really help.

Comment

Shoes are so important. Talk to your PT for which have the best soles, bottoms, see if orthopedic shoes would help (they take molds of your feet and make shoe accordingly), or if orthoses would help.

Don't forget to do your homework after your PT sessions. Therapy doesn't stop when you walk out of the department, it carries on at home.

Working on strength, balance and conditioning will help you greatly. Keep a positive attitude and take it 'one step at a time'
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

Hey, I got you guys beat here. Try having MS affecting both sides(lower limbs)when you had a TBI as a 10yr old that paralyzed your left side(I recovered enough through PT and sports to where it wasn't noticeable as an adult). Yeah, my Neurologist said I am getting a "double whammy" on my left. So, imagine how uncoordinated I am right now. It's awful.

Comment

Sounds like you are an incredibly strong individual.
                Each event will bring about different challenges, stay motivated and strong.
                Have you ever had OT?
                Be Well,
                Susan

Comment

Originally posted by SusanD View Post
                  Sounds like you are an incredibly strong individual.
                  Each event will bring about different challenges, stay motivated and strong.
                  Have you ever had OT?
                  No OT, only PT when I was young. The PT was great. I was up and moving way sooner than they thought and progressed a lot better than they originally diagnosed. It went from "she might walk again with a cane" to fully participating in basketball, track in a year.
                  MS is whole other animal though. Now my good side(the right)is affected right along with my crappy left side. It feels like 1978 all over again, cept this time there is no coming back. It's depressing.

Comment

When Tysabri was pulled in... 2005? {I think} I had the most severe relapse to date within 4 months of going Cold turkey. It started as 7th Nerve Palsy on the right side of my face, as well as weakening my right leg from the knee down. As it was remitting {2 months after the initial relapse} I then lost all sensation on the Left side from my ribcage to my toes. When walking I had no sensation of my foot on the ground, just a pressure in my ribs, which felt like I was floating on that side. It also took all the sensation in my left forearm and hand.

To this day my right knee still tries to hyperextend, forcing me to use a Cane. Even though my right has always been my Dominant leg I started using my left when standing or climbing, causing my left calf to now dwarf my right as I use it so little now. The Left leg works fine but has patches of sensation loss. I always describe it like my leg was splattered with mud or wax that was left to dry. Whenever my Neuro did the Pin test, during the Tysabri trials, it would feel like a dull pencil or nothing at all. My next MRI in May is a C-Spine, as he told me that weakness on one side and sensation loss on the other is indicative of Spinal Lesions.
                    I'm an Artist.. Your rules don't apply

Comment

Working...
                    X