Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracy Kidder

I love his books.
    So far I have read "Mountains Beyond Mountains" and am currently reading "Strength In What Remains". They have both been about changing a persons life and making a change that ultimately affects the world in a better way.
    The books make me feel like I can make a difference, and I need to think outside myself. That is so important to my mental health right now. There are things so much bigger than this ^^%$ MS.
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Mountains Beyond Mountains & Three Cups of Tea

I also loved Mountains Beyond Mountains. The story of Paul Farmer and Partners in Health was very inspiring to me. I agree with you. Mountains Beyond Mountains made me think that one person can make a difference--even if we are not as hyperkinetic as Paul Farmer.

I just finished Three Cups of Tea, which has been on my to-read list for a few years. Apparently, there has been some recent controversy about the author, which we will discuss at my local library as part of our annual "One Town/One Book." I was saddened to hear about the controversy, because like Mountains Beyond Mountains, Three Cups of Tea is also a book with a hopeful message--that one person can make a difference and that when we work together a small group of dedicated people can make a tremendous impact.

One of my favorite quotes along these lines is by Margaret Mead: "It only takes a few, committed citizens to change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

You might also enjoy a book I read about the history of Doctors without Borders. It was also very inspiring.

Happy reading!
    "Life is full of suffering; it is also full of the overcoming of it." Helen Keller

Comment

Among Schoolchildren

When I saw your post, the name rang a bell (and remembering names is one of my losses with MS!)

I read his book Among Schoolchildren a few years ago, and was very impressed with his empathy and compassion for the subjects about which he writes. That it took place in my state and about my chosen career is what invited me to read him... and it was well worth it.

I'm glad to hear that he has written more since, and will look for one of the new books.

Thanks for reminding me of him!
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Old Friends

I went to Amazon to find another book by Tracy Kidder and found one of his early ones, Old Friends. I searched through the used copies, and found one for one cent plus shipping, in almost new condition. Happy finds at Amazon!
        First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
        Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Working...
        X