Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a wc

I have decided it's time to get a wc.

I don't need one on a daily basis, but I just want to be able to go places without my legs stopping me from doing so. I have canes, but they don't help if we wanna go on weekend trips or just going shopping in a mall.Not that that's something I miss doing. I just want to know I can do stuff if I want to.

My dh suggested that it might not be a bad idea, to think about buying a wc. I used to borrow one from a friend of mine, but I think it's time to get my own.

I was wondering if anybody here has ordered a wc online? I checked out a local medical supply store, but they didn't have much to choose from.

I looked online and I found different places, but I just didn't know if it's a good idea to order a wc online.

I was hoping, maybe you guys could give me your opinions on that. Where would be the best place to order from?

Thanks!
    dx 5/95 rrms

I went through the same situation last year.

Now, wheelchairs have various measurements, which must suit you. An occupational therapist should be able to take your measurements and provide advice regarding what is important.

I acquired my wheelchair online. But, I had several conversations with the company first, during which time I changed the make/model of wheelchair, following their advice.

Talk to the sellers. You will quickly assess whether they are interested in helping you, or just selling a chair.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I had never order a wheelchair on online. I had a wheelchair thawas given to me. My Dr said I think you need a new wheelchair that fits you.

So I went to a wheelchair clinic and they fitted me for one, I also got to pick a color as well. Its been five yrs and now I am going to get fitted for another. It really makes a hugh difference having a wheelchair that fits you. When a wc fits you they are so much easier to handle and wheel. I hope this helps you
      kari

Comment

You didn't mention if this was going to be covered by insurance, or not.

If you're going private pay, don't neglect looking at sites like Craigslist or your local classifieds.

In our neck of the woods, you can get barely used medical equipment at really discounted prices through Craigslist, and since Craigslist is local (unlike most of ebay, or an online wc site) you have to opportunity to go "try it out" before buying.

Just a thought.

Comment

I recently purchased my first wheelchair. Went the route of going to a seating clinic to be fitted properly. They spent significant time assessing my condition and measuring to accurately get a chair that was customized for me.

I work from home full time; so insurance covered the chair that was costly. It also took alot of time (months) to finally get it due to insurance issues with the 'lightweight' type the clinic recommended for me. It finally worked out and I have it now - and am happy with it.

You may want to contact your local NMSS office to ask if they can loan you a chair (based on your size) to try out for a while.

And if you go the route of purchasing one, theres alot of pieces, options I still don't understand - and now realize (and heard from others) that your first chair will never be perfect as you learn from experience.

Hope this helps some.

Comment

Definitely get fitted for one! It will make all the difference as far as it being comfortable for you.

Oh, and for insurance purposes, you will need it INDOORS (even if this isn't your plan). They won't pay for it if you say that it's purely for outside use.

Good luck!
            “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
            Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Ditto. I also agree with the suggestion about seeing an OT (and perhaps a PT too) about the best kind of wheelchair to get. For example - someone with good arms and bad legs might want a user-propelled WC - someone with bad arms and bad legs might want a wheelchair that someone else pushes.

Also - there are travel wheelchairs - and wheelchairs that are more for sticking around the house. The former will be lighter and easier to handle (in terms of things like collapsing it and getting it into a car) - the latter heavier and harder to handle.

The fitting is extremely important in terms of user comfort and safety (a WC can cause sores if it doesn't fit properly). And there are tons of different kinds of WCs on the market. Everything from WCs for people who are almost totally immobile and whose heads will flop down without support - to WCs for young athletic paras with great arm and upper body strength.

I personally would not order a WC on line. When we had to buy one for my late FIL - a local company custom ordered it. Made the little necessary adjustments when it came in. And serviced it over the years when it had minor problems. Robyn

Comment

I was fitted for my wheelchair and I learned a lot from the process. They measured my arms and legs, my shoulder width, my hip width you name it. I also have a special cushion where i was measured for pressure points. You'll have to wait a little longer for the chair, but it's worth it.

Also, make sure you get the name and phone number of the people who will service the chair for you, This is VERY importaant because of the wear and tear a chair takes over time means parts need to be replaced (like brakes after 3 years).
                Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

What is your intent for the wheelchair... to propel yourself or to have someone push you?

A standard wheelchair has 2 large wheels in the back that allow you to move the chair by yourself. They can be bulky and don't always fit in doorways - especially bathrooms in homes.They can be heavy to put in the car.

A traveling/companion wheelchair has 4 small wheels and require someone to push you. They can be very helpful in traveling as they can fold and be taken apart (arm and leg rests) easily.

Wheelchairs have a lot of options:
                  Arm rests= non removable, removable, desk arms
                  I always suggest removable desk arms
                  Leg Rests= non removable, elevating, swing away/removable
                  I always suggest elevating and removable

You will need to be properly fit for the chair. It is important that your legs are positioned well so your knees aren't too high causing pressure on lower back, or knees too low causing impaired leg circulation.

Chairs come in a couple sizes, standard or lightweight

I would suggest getting a doctor's order for OT for wheelchair. You will not only get one that best suits your needs, you will be properly trained in their use.
                  The therapists typically have places they order from, insurance might only be the issue.
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

wc

In order for BCBS to pay for it I had to get an order for a wheel chair evaluation. That's where they fit you for one. Then if all goes well and everyone gets their paperwork in it should only take 2 months.

Ins can only cover 1 every 5 years so make sure it's the one you want. For me I got the scooter because I need it for long distance stuff.

Comment

I went to Airway Oxygen and got fitted for a Ti-lite WC and I absolutely hate it. When I first got it, it was only used when we went out and I had to walk a distance. They measured me correctly I figured but I can not propel myself. I went back to have them adjust it or do something but it still is not right.

I paid $120.00 for the adjustment which basically all they did was put smaller front wheels on and it only made things worse. I have a scooter for outside use but it is too large for my smal house, plus getting a wheelchair in someone elses house is hard enough. Can't see how a scooter could help me.

It is all so depressing!

Comment

If you have medicare or medicaid, they usually cover the rental cost if your doctor states that your housebound (meaning you can only ambulate 50 ft)
                        When it is rented and you are still in need of it, they can't take it away from you.

Unless that has recently changed!
                        Be Well,
                        Susan

Comment

Working...
                        X