Anyone from Canada on Gilenya yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone from Canada on Gilenya yet?

Just wondering if anyone from Canada has been able to go on Gilenya and that were NOT part of the trials?

How did you approach the subject with your neuro?

My next appointment with my neurologist is in June, and I'd like to ask her to switch me from Rebif to Gilenya (other than the pain of injecting and horrible side effects, I've had three confirmed relapses in the past two years...) But my neuro is very 'conservative' so I'm not sure what she'll think about that...
    Nancy
    Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

I believe it will be available in Quebec in a few months. Simply tell your doctor it's something you're interested in....no need to beat around the bush with this one! Good luck!

Comment

Really, just in a few months? I thought it was April 1st everywhere in Canada?
      Nancy
      Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Comment

No one yet?

So no one yet from Canada is on Gilenya?
        Nancy

Comment

thinking about switching from Ty to Gilenya.

Have an appt with my Neuro next week.

So we shall see.....

Comment

Gilenya

My Neuro agrees to let me to switch to Gilenya. However, the catch is - even though Gilenya is available since April 1st, MSP of BC is still reviewing this. I have been asking Blue Cross (my Extended Health provider) to see whether they will cover the cost for Gilenya. They said not until they get the approval from MSP.

Comment

LOL... your post in here just answered a question I asked in the other thread you started.

I too was nervous about bringing up Gilenya to my neuro. But when I had my appointment last week, I told him everything that has been going since our last visit in Sept. I've had 3 flare ups that last 2-3 weeks but he said that's too frequent and would like to put me on Copaxone or a new oral drug named Gilenya. I was in SHOCK!!! haha

I was so happy he brought it up first. I'm on Rebif right now and absolutely hate taking the injections. He was more pushing me to try Copaxone since it's been on the market for 10 years. With Gilenya being so new he says there's still the "unknown".

But he told me to go home and think about it. To call our insurance company and see if they'll even help us because a lot of them aren't helping yet.

First thing we did is called Sunlife.... after what the neuro said to me, I didn't think we'd get much good news from them. But to our surprise, they will cover 90%!! YAY!! And then Gilenya is covering the rest of it. This was the best news for me.

I was going back to the neuro the following day for Evoked Potential Testing (which I hate) and told him I decided on Gilenya. He didn't try to discourage me, started giving me all the info on it and wished me luck.

Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

You are so lucky. I can hardly wait till my insurance plan approves Gilenya. I am currently on Rebif, and will run out of places to poke myself soon.

Comment

chaseyshorts: I'm also with Sunlife... When I asked, I can't remember now if they said they covered 70% or 90%... My husband is also with Sunlife though, so the remaining will be covered by his insurance.

What do you mean though "And then Gilenya is covering the rest of it." ?

I still haven't decided what to do... I'm going to see my neurologist near the end of June... Last time I spoke to her, I was to let her know then what I want to do... I'm scared though
                  Nancy

Comment

northVan: I soooo know how you feel.

I've been working out for the past 5 months, and I've become quite a bit leaner (with less fat and more muscle), and I find it's worse now than when I could "grab" some "fat" to inject into...
                    Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by shortcake23 View Post
                      chaseyshorts: What do you mean though "And then Gilenya is covering the rest of it." ?
                      Gilenya is covering the remainder 10% for us. So...
                      Sunlife covers 90%
                      Gilenya covers 10%

I pay nothing!! LOL I'm very happy about this. With Rebif I was paying $80 a month, which isn't bad but $80 in my pocket that can go towards my kids is much nicer.

To be honest, I'm a little scared too. I'm leaving to see my Neuro shortly to talk about all my tests results. I will possibly be going on Gilenya in the next few days. Excited, but nervous!! I am looking forward to NOT having to do the injections.

I will be back to report after taking my first dose. Wish me luck!

Comment

Good luck chaseyshorts! Keep us posted.

I hope I'll be able to make a decision that I'm comfortable with soon... every time I think I've made up my mind, I get doubts...
                        Nancy

Comment

I know it's hard but I look at it this way... every medication has pros and cons, I was really nervous when starting Rebif because of the side effects and my liver. LOL But all went well, other than it didn't really help me. But I was so afraid and nothing bad happened. I'm just praying that Gilenya will help me with my relapses and that nothing bad comes out of it. Not doing the injections is a huge bonus!!

I haven't done an injection in 2 weeks and the whole family has noticed a difference in me. Not sure if Rebif affected me or if it was just the injections itself but I'm a much happier person and feel better energy wise and don't feel as run down.

Yesterday was my first dose. Hoping that everything is positive from here on out.

Comment

Working...
                          X