Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancer risk/MS Drugs?

Hi all...
    Okay. Odd question. My IVIG treatment is showing sides of not working anymore (I've been on it since last July). My neuro's already talking about new drugs.

I've already blown through the CRABs. I got horrible site reactions on the copaxone. Betaseron made me incredibly symptomatic.

I have a vague idea of the other options, but I'm concerned about a few of them... My family has a strong history of cancer - which makes me very wary of the drugs that have had cancer cases. Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do?

Tysabri may be a good choice for you, a two hour infusion every four weeks and I have not heard of any Cancer problems.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I asked the same question regarding Tysabri as a cancer survivor myself, both my nuero and oncologist felt Ty was ok and had shown no more risk of cancer than any other and perhaps a slightly less risk. I started on it last june 1 year after my last chemo and radiation treatment. Just had my 2 year cancer followup check and pet scan and all clear to this point.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Unfortunately, my neuro refuses to use it unless you're on the verge of becoming SPMS. I think it makes him nervous. Keeping it in mind anyway.

Comment

I don't understand that thinking. Won't do anything until you are un-fixable.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I don't think this is an odd question at all.

It is reasonable to be concerned that the longer you are on drugs that manipulate your immune system, and the older you get, (and especially if you have a history of cancer in your family) that your risk of cancer increases.

I decided after over a decade of MS treatments that failed to arrest disease progression to give Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) a try. I combine it with Alpha Lipoic Acid.

The two have been shown to be very effective at treating autoimmune conditions as well as cancer and I recommend watching this presentation:

Dr. Burt Berkson Presentation on LDN and Alpha Lipoic Acid Therapy for Cancer & Autoimmune Disease

http://glasgowldn2009.com/2009/04/ld...erence-video3/

If you also google "Can Alpha-Lipoic Acid Improve Multiple Sclerosis?" you will find a study where ALA was shown to inhibit T-cell migration across the blood brain barrier.

What MS drug also inhibits T-cell migration? Tysabri.

Comment

Working...
            X