Question about Down There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Down There

This is my first time posting here, I have been diagnosed with MS for 10 years, many exacerbations, but have been experiencing with this current one(started 5 1/2 weeks ago) burning, tingling, urgency, pressure and by the end of the day pain in the vaginal area and rectum. I was tested for UTI 2 times, both negative, and went on a 3 day course of steroids which eliminated the feeling for those 3 days, but then of course it came back. I will see my neuro this Friday and have been taking neurontin, but it does nothing for the burning. Any info would be great, just also to know this could be caused by my MS, and what to say to my neuro. I am thinking I would like a referral to a uro-gynecologist as well. I saw my gyn before I went on steriods, but everything looked fine to him, he prescribed antibiotics for UTI, which I did not have. Thanks!

hugs

I feel so badly for you! I have had the problem with pain 'down there' as you say. Pain, urgency, but never had the burning. My dr didn't treat it with anything. He told me to 'ride it out' since I didn't want steroids. It usually resolved itself when the flare did. I took Motrin when the pain got too annoying. Luckily that works pretty well for me. Did nothing for the urgency. I have no clue what to do for burning. Dr. didn't even suggest I see my GYN since there was no sign of UTI or anything.

I hope your dr can give you something to help. Hang in there.

Comment

If you're having burning, pain &/or frequency, and you've been tested for a UTI with negative results, it's possible that you have Interstitial Cystitis. I'm currently dealing with (yet another!) bout of IC myself.

IC has to be diagnosed by a doctor (usually a urologist); it's a diagnosis of elimination (like MS).

There are things that can be done to help with the burning etc, ranging from medications to dietary changes to stress reduction techniques.

Here's a link to a previous thread on IC:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109550

Comment

me too

When I went on amantadine and Ampyra, had those same feelings.... pain, felt dry and chafed....... went away when I stopped these meds

Comment

Originally posted by montanagirl10 View Post
          This is my first time posting here, I have been diagnosed with MS for 10 years, many exacerbations, but have been experiencing with this current one(started 5 1/2 weeks ago) burning, tingling, urgency, pressure and by the end of the day pain in the vaginal area and rectum. I was tested for UTI 2 times, both negative, and went on a 3 day course of steroids which eliminated the feeling for those 3 days, but then of course it came back. I will see my neuro this Friday and have been taking neurontin, but it does nothing for the burning. Any info would be great, just also to know this could be caused by my MS, and what to say to my neuro. I am thinking I would like a referral to a uro-gynecologist as well. I saw my gyn before I went on steriods, but everything looked fine to him, he prescribed antibiotics for UTI, which I did not have. Thanks!
          I have had sensory issues (like the burning) with exacerbations. I've also had prolapse problems which have been attributed to the MS...and I highly recommend urogynecologists (but I don't think I've had burning with the prolapse problems.)

Another thought, could the steroids have given you a yeast problem? Also, how's your gait? Has it been affected by this exacerbation? Sometimes when my gait is off, it'll cause lower back and pelvic pain.

So what to do it the meantime for relief...ice packs. Get two ice packs, the gel kind, and when you sit, or lay down, put one on each side, sort of where your leg and butt muscles meet. For some reason, this has eased the discomfort for me when I've had the burning, I imagine I'm just numbing the nerves in that area, thus giving temporary relief.

Hope you find the cause of the problem (I was going to say get to the bottom of things...but decided the pun was uncalled for )

Comment

Thanks for the responses, ladies! I saw my neuro and these problems are due to an exacerbation, lucky I am starting to get some relief! They upped the neurontin and now I just need to complete this cycle of exacerbation, this one has been the worst one ever due to these symptoms.

I am also being checked to make sure I am not making antibodies to the Rebif I take.

Comment

I would also recommend a consult with a urogynecologist if the symptoms continue, or go away and then return. I, too, am diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis. The symptoms you describe fit with IC, but could be due to other issues. Getting checked out by a urologist or urogyno is the way to go and find out for sure.

My PCP recently cautioned me that once someone has MS, and they have something happen with them symptom-wise, the general wisdom is that whatever is happening is related to your MS. She said that that is not necessarily the case and you should always look a little further at things to find out if they really are MS or if they are something else that can be treated or managed.

Comment

Other possibilities

Interesting you brought this up. I've had some issues also and when i went to my doctor I didn't know exactly how to explain it. I thought it might be a UTI but it was hard to pinpoint it to the urinary tract; kind of felt like it moved around. With a woman's 'design' it can be hard to pinpoint. My doc examined me and gave me something for a yeast infection (I had no itching or discharge). It is a pill that you only take once in a weeks time and follow it up with another after the initial week.

Disappointingly it didn't help. It was not a UTI and he also did a culture which came back negative.

The other thing he said was, as I suspected, I need some hormone relief. I am about to try that to see if it helps.

My feeling with this is almost like a spasm or the feeling you get as when you scratch an itch till it hurts.

I did read the info in IC, but hopefully it's not that. This is a frustrating thing, as all who go through this type of thing know too well!

I'll let you know if the hormones help. Don't discount anything.

Diane
                You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I was surprised to hear the responses that you ladies experience similar symptoms. Having only dealt w/this for almost a yr. now I always still think "what is this now" with each new symptom or pain. I too have experienced pain, almost like a severe spasm, but not where you would expect it, (not like cramps) down there. Comes & goes, wakes me at night even, only have it during flare-ups.
                  1st neurological event 5/29/10. Dx 4/29/11. Avonex since 8/20/10. Age 41 & still smiling.
                  Because we have hard times, we really know how to appreciate the good times

Comment

I have had the same experiences. I notice the symptoms get worse when I'm tired, usually a nap and some motrin give me %75 relief. I wasn't aware that it was related to MS.
                    my doctor treated me for a UTI and then for yeast infections, when I told him the symptoms come and go he was stumped.I will discuss this with my neuro next visit.
                    thanks for sharing, ladies!
                    Coffeediva

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried"

Comment

Vulvodynia & MS link

It might help to look at the article at www.srm-ejournal.com/article.asp?AID=8609&UID=
                      It shows the link of vulvodynia to multiple sclerosis. Muscle spasms can cause vulvodynia so this could be a possibility to the problems you are mentioning. If you look at one of the ointments used to treat it, it is a topical cream with Baclofen in it. Also MS is mentioned in the neurologic cause to vulvodynia.

Comment

i have had this same issue with numbness and such down there. turned out i was in an excerbation also however mine never went away. now i just have to live with it. i do have to say it was much worse when i had the foley in.

Comment

Working...
                        X