Do you take a drug for urgency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you take a drug for urgency?

I have thought about talking to my internist or neuro about the urgency issues that I have been having. Pretty much so I have just dealt with it-not wanting to take another drug to my current drug intake. You have all seen the commercials on tv about starting "that conversation" with your doctor.

This morning I had to cut my walk short because I had to go and couldn't wait another 30 minutes. It was time to talk to me doctor and since I had an appt anyway-why not.

So I did and he told me he would never prescribe this kind of drug for me because I have ms. Too many side effects for a ms woman. Period. End of conversation.

I guess that lack of suggestions, empathy, whatever-- kind of shook me a little bit.

I am taking magnesium once a day. Perhaps I should increase it????? It is 400 milligrams currently.

Who is taking these drugs? Did your neuro prescribe them or your PCP? What side effects are you experiencing?

lydialou

I asked my PCP about an urgency med and she said she doesn't recommend them because of the side effects. Not because of MS, but because the side effects in general can be very unpleasant (look them up) for anyone. My urgency isn't so bad that I want to even risk any of the side effects.

As far as the magnesium goes, magnesium is known to work as a muscle relaxer. In theory, then, it might be relaxing your bladder and making your urge to pee worse. Increasing the dose could increase that effect. The urgency meds do exactly the opposite.

It doesn't matter what side effects someone else has. What matters is what side effects are possible and which ones you have. The only way to know is to try one of the meds to find out. If your internist isn't receptive to prescribing one, maybe your gynecologist might be, or perhaps your neurologist could intervene with your PCP or GYN on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
      As far as the magnesium goes, magnesium is known to work as a muscle relaxer. In theory, then, it might be relaxing your bladder and making your urge to pee worse. Increasing the dose could increase that effect. The urgency meds do exactly the opposite.
      I have/had the urgency-not starting/emptying issues in addition to getting up as much as 6X/night. I brought them to my neuros attention & he referred me to a urologist. Uro agreed it was a real problem, that I may be having bladder muscle spasms & ordered testing. But after learning the cost, I canceled the appt.

I came here & learned that magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer. Decided to try it - nothing to lose!

What I experienced was nothing short of miraculous - I had relief within hours! That night I slept the entire night for the 1st time in many years. Starting/emptying issues also have resolved.

I take 400 mg 2X/day, about 12 hrs apart.

For me I believe the muscle spasms were making me think I had a full bladder when in fact I did not. Now that I have decreased the spasms, I only get the urge when my bladder really is full. No more tinkle, tinkle!

If I changed what I drink, I may further decrease my issues, but since I only drink brewed iced tea (which is a diuretic)& water at this time I'm not willing to make any changes. I have increased my water intake & restrict the tea to working hours though.

I still monitor my liquid intake after 6 p.m. - what goes in must come out!
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Hi lydialou:
        Toomnyhats brings up a good point. If you think your urgency might be coming from bladder spasms, it's a simple step to try increasing your magnesium intake and see what happens. As I said earlier, what matters is what works for you. If further bladder relaxation doesn't help with the urgency, you'll have a better idea of what you'd like to try next.

Comment

I take Detrol and it has made a TREMENDOUS change for the positive in my life. I no longer have to wear a pad or change my clothing three times per day because I can't hold it.
          ALL meds have side effects. The thing you have to weigh is benefit vs. risks. There are supplements and such that you can also take.
          Jodi
          "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

I have taken gabapentin and pregabalin (Lyrica) and they have both helped. I happened on them accidently: I had shingles and was given gabapentin for the pain. I noticed that the frequency, urgency and incontinence all improved markedly. The side effects listed for gabapentin included increased urinary problems, so I was surprised and asked my neuro about it. She said that if my symptoms were caused by bladder spasms then the gabapentin/Lyrica would help. Both drugs make me a little more awkward and spacey (I think), but it's worth it to me.
            I'm intrigued by the earlier posts re magnesium and bladder spasms... think I'll give it a try. Do you take a magnesium-only supplement? How did you decide on 400mg twice a day? (I read that the safe upper limit for supplemental magnesium is 350mg (http://naturaldatabaseconsumer.therapeuticresearch.com))

Comment

dolule, this is what knuckle originally told me:
              Originally posted by knuckle View Post
              Try taking a Magnesium suppliment as most people don't get enough of it in their diet.

Also, google "magnesium bladder control" and "magnesium miracle" for more information.
              When I googled, one of the sites recommended 400 mg 2X/day so I tried it. And it worked!!

Now I take 500 mg 2X/day but only b/c they didn't have 400 mg strength when I went to buy more.

And yes, it a magnesium only supplement.
              DX 10/2008
              Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
              Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
              Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I'm on 5mg of Oxybutnin, the generic for Ditropan. It works wonders for me! I've been on it for over a year and have not had to increase the dose once.
                Rae Roy

Comment

I was also on 5mg of Oxybutnin (before being on Tysabri) and it worked like a charm!

Comment

Does anyone have the control issues with your bladder & bowels? Thats been the major one for me! I have NO bowel control about 90% of the time. The second I feel the urge, I'm going! I've probably thrown away about 15 pairs of panties because of this! I can usually make it to the restroom if its my bladder (when I say usually, the visual is me using my hand to hopefully hold it in ) but when its my bowels, no such luck! It seems to drain me too when it happens.

I can't even begin to recall how many public bath stalls I've been in, naked from the waist down, having to clean myself off with toilet water! Humiliating! I think this is what really brings me down the worst! It happened at church on Sunday, just before service & I'm on the worship team! I made it to the stage at the last minute (sans underwear!) but had to actually walk off after about 4 songs because the urge hit again! I hate to be a distraction but I decided going to the bathroom on myself would be a bigger distraction!

I get so frustrated at having to throw away $10 pairs of panties, my DH tells me to just buy inexpensive ones but I feel like thats just one more thing that the MS has stolen from me, so I refuse!!
                    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

pull-ups

i think i would consider wearing pull-ups under the panties.

Comment

Originally posted by Luv2Worship View Post
                        Does anyone have the control issues with your bladder & bowels? Thats been the major one for me! I have NO bowel control about 90% of the time. The second I feel the urge, I'm going! I've probably thrown away about 15 pairs of panties because of this!
                        I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I have had this issue off and on for about a year. I originally thought it was an anxiety issue, as it began when I was in a car accident and couldn't wait; I talked to my GP about it and was put on anxiety/depression meds.

Since my diagnosis in December, I've come to realize that it's more likely a symptom of the MS. I haven't been brave enough to talk to my neuro about it yet, and it really doesn't happen all that often, so for now I just deal with it as it comes up. I have begun keeping a clean pair of pants in my car, just in case.
                        ~Jenny~
                        Diagnosed 12/2010
                        Copaxone 1/2011

Comment

Working...
                        X