injections in the thigh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

injections in the thigh?

I don't know if I am doing it wrong or what, but I have done it twice and both sides bled quite a bit. I did it on the side of the thigh - where the nurse said too.
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

My thigh shots are more towards the top of the thigh, slightly to the side. Once in a while I hit a gusher, but most of the time it's just a spot.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

hi Sasha,

I think the thighs are my least favorite spot to inject. It usually bleeds and often hurts. I don't have much fat on my legs and I think this contributes to the problem.

I have better luck if I go more to the top and side of the leg area. I do the injection sitting down (often at the edge of the tub - seems to work better than a chair).

phoebe.

Comment

I mostly shoot in my fat stomach or back in my back fat, and stay away from arms and legs. Seems ok so far, no issues from over use. I just think it hurts and bleeds less.

seena

Comment

The same thing happens to me when I inject Rebif into my thighs - I don't really have a problem anywhere else but I bruise up really easily on my thighs and also the leg that I inject into just feels horrible for the rest of the night - hot, tingly, achy, sore, burning - it's really weird. I don't really know why I have a reaction in my thighs but nowhere else??

I actually mentioned it to my Neuro last week and she gave me the ok to skip my thighs altogether - you know your life is not quite what you expected it to be when you wake up excited because you've rotated injection sites back to your stomach which is just the most convenient - yikes! LOL
          Kristen
          DX'd 2.9.11
          Has NO idea what she's doing

Comment

Originally posted by KMCangel00 View Post

I actually mentioned it to my Neuro last week and she gave me the ok to skip my thighs altogether - you know your life is not quite what you expected it to be when you wake up excited because you've rotated injection sites back to your stomach which is just the most convenient - yikes! LOL
            Okay, seriously - I just had this conversation with my friend that also has MS and takes rebif like you (I take beta). About how much better it is to inject into the stomach! I thought I would *HATE* that one most of all and it is most certainly my favorite injection site.

My friend told me that her neuro gave her permission to inject into her inner thigh fat - . Scary - but definately more appealing than bleeding and pain.
            ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

The same thing happens to me when I inject Rebif into my thighs - I don't really have a problem anywhere else but I bruise up really easily on my thighs and also the leg that I inject into just feels horrible for the rest of the night - hot, tingly, achy, sore, burning - it's really weird. I don't really know why I have a reaction in my thighs but nowhere else??

Oh, and I love this part of your siggy "has NO idea what she's doing " I'm with you on that! We were dx'd only a few weeks apart too.

Comment

Originally posted by salamandertom View Post
                Okay, seriously - I just had this conversation with my friend that also has MS and takes rebif like you (I take beta). About how much better it is to inject into the stomach! I thought I would *HATE* that one most of all and it is most certainly my favorite injection site.

My friend told me that her neuro gave her permission to inject into her inner thigh fat - . Scary - but definately more appealing than bleeding and pain.
                That's funny, Salamandertom! I definitely never pictured myself giving much thought to the best/least painful/most convenient place to give myself a shot, but it's amazing how quickly things can change! Thanks for the comment about my signature line - I'm really new to this and don't know anyone personally who can relate.

That's why I think this board is fabulous! I can feel like crap all day, like nobody gets me, then come on here after work and just feel relieved. I'm hoping that as I get more active in the MS community (something I'm not sure I'm quite ready for...is that weird?) I will meet people around my age/area who are going through the same things - but sometimes it feels like I'm going to be two people for the rest of my life: the me with ME and the me with everyone else.

Yikes! I sound really depressing. I'm actually doing really well - I even quit smoking 4 weeks today! So I think that might be where my head's at tonight....I reaaaaally want that cigarette....LOL But I told myself 4 weeks ago....quitting smoking might be one of the easiest things you have to deal with/do for now...so I went for it. YAY Me!

Wow...sorry to take your post so off course... HAHAHA! It's nice to know we're all in this together, that's all :P
                Kristen
                DX'd 2.9.11

Comment

I tried the inner thigh fat cause MS Lifeline nurse said it was OK, but warned me ahead that the area might be sensitive. Well I just had to give it a try and very SENSITIVE, won't be doing that area again!
                  Jen

Comment

Good for you, Kristen, for giving up smoking! That's a tough row to hoe along with MS - keep up the good work!
                    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

That's funny, Salamandertom! I definitely never pictured myself giving much thought to the best/least painful/most convenient place to give myself a shot, but it's amazing how quickly things can change! Thanks for the comment about my signature line - I'm really new to this and don't know anyone personally who can relate.

That's why I think this board is fabulous! I can feel like crap all day, like nobody gets me, then come on here after work and just feel relieved. I'm hoping that as I get more active in the MS community (something I'm not sure I'm quite ready for...is that weird?) I will meet people around my age/area who are going through the same things - but sometimes it feels like I'm going to be two people for the rest of my life: the me with ME and the me with everyone else.

Yikes! I sound really depressing. I'm actually doing really well - I even quit smoking 4 weeks today! So I think that might be where my head's at tonight....I reaaaaally want that cigarette....LOL But I told myself 4 weeks ago....quitting smoking might be one of the easiest things you have to deal with/do for now...so I went for it. YAY Me!

Wow...sorry to take your post so off course... HAHAHA! It's nice to know we're all in this together, that's all :P
                      LOL, not depressing - just ready to be around people that don't look like they want to bolt when you start talking about *your* reality. I get it. I really get it, my son has a lot of medical problems - so I felt like I was from another planet before - now I just try to only relate to people about the topics at hand. Friends though won't get off that easy. They have to be able to handle it, or I won't put up with it. I don't have room in my life for people that cannot handle *my* problems but expect me to handle theirs and mine.

CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!!!!! That is so awesome. Quitting smoking (the second time) was one of the hardest things I ever did. Great job. It is so stressful, good for you!!! You should be really proud of yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by MadamMarvelJen View Post
                        I tried the inner thigh fat cause MS Lifeline nurse said it was OK, but warned me ahead that the area might be sensitive. Well I just had to give it a try and very SENSITIVE, won't be doing that area again!
                        Ugh. I can't even imagine how much it must sting in the inner thigh area? Honestly the injections are kind of uncomfortable for me now, I didn't mind the needle at all the first 2 weeks I took them, but each time now it seems to sting more and more, I don't think I could handle it in my thighs...maybe it's not the worst pain in the world, but it sucks that it hurts at all...ya know? LOL
                        Kristen
                        DX'd 2.9.11

Comment

This scares the heck out of me!! LOL I seriously think I would be a huge baby about the inner thigh....I'm glad I don't have to do my thighs at all :P
                          Kristen
                          DX'd 2.9.11

Comment

LOL, not depressing - just ready to be around people that don't look like they want to bolt when you start talking about *your* reality. I get it. I really get it, my son has a lot of medical problems - so I felt like I was from another planet before - now I just try to only relate to people about the topics at hand. Friends though won't get off that easy. They have to be able to handle it, or I won't put up with it. I don't have room in my life for people that cannot handle *my* problems but expect me to handle theirs and mine.

CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!!!!! That is so awesome. Quitting smoking (the second time) was one of the hardest things I ever did. Great job. It is so stressful, good for you!!! You should be really proud of yourself!
                            Thank you very much, guys I actually AM pretty proud of myself. Being newly diagnosed, pretty much everything is about MS for me right now, and I can't deny that I definitely have my days when I am emotionally miserable, but I try to remind myself that this is arguably the worst time in my life (so far and hopefully forever, although... I'm sure this isn't the worst of it) and I haven't had a cigarette in 4 weeks. That IS pretty amazing... definitely given me a confidence-booster.

That being said - I would kill a rodent for a Marlboro Light right now. :P Hehehe.
                            Kristen
                            DX'd 2.9.11

Comment

Originally posted by MadamMarvelJen View Post
                              um yeah. That is *exactly* what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X