Your Period and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Period and MS

I started my period yesterday and today I feel like I was run over by a mac truck. I have no energy and feel terrible. I assume this is my period setting something off. I was just diagnosed in late January. I am having trouble walking etc.
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

This topic has come up numerous times. It is common for your symptoms to increase/get worse due to hormonal fluctuations. Although it might feel like you are having a relapse, your not...it's temporary.

The effect of hormonal fluctuations also effect those with seizure disorders and migraines.

I notice a difference twice a month --- ovulation and menses. I deal with more leg pain, fatigue, and fuzzy thinking. I have noticed this has gotten worse the older I have gotten. I am ready for my cycles to end.

Here is some information on MS and hormones:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...use/index.aspx
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      This topic has come up numerous times. It is common for your symptoms to increase/get worse due to hormonal fluctuations. Although it might feel like you are having a relapse, your not...it's temporary.

The effect of hormonal fluctuations also effect those with seizure disorders and migraines.

I notice a difference twice a month --- ovulation and menses. I deal with more leg pain, fatigue, and fuzzy thinking. I have noticed this has gotten worse the older I have gotten. I am ready for my cycles to end.

thank you! I have always suffered with terrible periods, I have a bleeding disorder and bleed heavily - so I had an ablation 3 years ago even though I begged my gyn for a hysterectomy. Now I wish she'd just listened to me! The ablation only really worked for the first couple years and the cramps are worse than ever. Now she is pretty sure it is adenomyosis.
      ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

me too-i told my doc the first time i saw her that it was gonna take me more than 24 hours to report a relapse, i was gonna need 15 days to identify a relapse to let my hormone cycle run through.

and at my last appointment i asked to get fewer tysabri infusions, i told her again, many people feel the slump a week before their in fusion & feel a need to be "recharge", but i have never felt that never tied a "slump" to my med cycle I have always been able to tie it to my hormone cycle

ps. progesterone creme helps me with it. i definitely feel the slump at ovulation when my estrogen drops, i use some progesterone creme for a few days to slow the drop. but i am pre menopausal, so that expected. even if your not, you might want to get a tube & try it to see if it helps.
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I am seeing my gyn on Thursday - I plan on discussing this with her. I hope she will be able to help me. She is so excellent. I am sure she will look into ways to help me. Thanks!

Comment

I am really aware of changes in my cycle. I also feel different depending on what time of day it is.
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I am one of those lucky woman that has "light" periods. Usually three days. not very heavy and little if any cramping. What I do get is a killer headache every month a day or two before I start. I also have extreme fatigue and an increase in mobility issues during this time frame.

I have wondered if there is a hormone "supplement" that could be used to help level off or 'control' these symptome surges.

Comment

hormones are serious

I have gone through surgical menopause and have had to be on hormones for years.

Just remember when you are talking about hormone supplements, don't try anything over the counter without talking to your Dr about it.

the hormone balance is a very delicate thing...go there slowly and carefully!

Lemon

Comment

I'm sorry you're going through this. I noticed this also to be a problem. I'd wake up in the hospital from a flare up and I'd start my period. I talked to my gyno about putting me on a birth control that would eliminate my periods. I'm now on Ortho Micrnor. A progestin only pill, no placebos. I haven't had any problems since my period stopped.

Comment

Lighter periods?

I was recently diagnosed and have been on Copaxone for 2 1/2 months now and this month I noticed that my period was is much lighter than normal. Is this normal or is it just a fluke this month? Any input would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

ok sorry i cant resist if you have a period and you have ppms what that make it pms ppms ?

Comment

Unless you are trying to get pregnant there is no medical reason you have to have a period.I take my bc pills continuously without stopping for the placebos. Every now and then I get braekthru periods but they usually coinside with flares. I will say when this happens they tend to be longer periods. I just stop taking my bc for 3 days and then start back up again. My midwife just writes my script for 15 packs as opposed to 12
                        Lost in my own little world, but it's okay they know me here

Comment

Originally posted by buster View Post
                          Unless you are trying to get pregnant there is no medical reason you have to have a period.I take my bc pills continuously without stopping for the placebos.
                          That's great if BC works for you but unfortunately, continous BC caused depression leaning towards suicidal thoughts for me.
                          Diagnosed 1984
                          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hormone fluctuations

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post

OH MAN!!! I am soooo glad to see this post. I am 51 years young.. still having a cycle unfortunately... (diag with ms Feb 2011 - but in denial) I do not have hot flashes but the rest of the crap - muscle tension, joint pain, etc. which it gets worst around cycle time - its pretty rough.

Last month - my cycle came about 46 days - I just knew I was done.. but it showed up. I strongly feel that if I was not going through peri-menopause - ms would not be a problem for me at all.

I do not get the fatigue everybody talks about, my problem is joint pain, muscle tension, muscle spasms from not being about to relax..staying tensed - which I have decided to try Formula 303 and I pray it works. I need something to help me relax during the day. to stop muscle spams/tension.

Ms. Jay

Comment

I have been advised to have my period only after 3 strips of contraceptive pills instead of one. It has helped a lot. I have been doing so for almost 5 years now.

Comment

Working...
                              X