Headaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headaches?

Man... all this week I've been getting these crazy headaches.

I've gotten them all my life but never this many and for this long.

I call them "icepick headaches" because it's like you have an icepick sticking out of your head.

What's got me suspicious is they usually are all over. One week they would be here... another here.

But this week they've all been in the same spot, and it's the right side of my head.

The left side of my body is where my first MS attack went so it stands to reason, as the right side of the brain controls the left, that the two could be related, but I don't know.

It's also worth noting that I've been sick all week with on-and-off feverish feelings all over, congestion... it's bloody pollen season around these parts and I go through that every year so it could just be sinuses.

Anyway, am I making much ado about nothing?
    "I know that I'm not my illness, but some days it seems so overwhelmingly difficult to cope that I put on that label and wear it like a coat." -Anonymous

i know i get head aches that just hurt like crazy. i get throbbing ones, and same that feel like my head is just ripping apart. i get very unfocus when this all happens.

i take aleve but they come and go fast.
    Billy
    Dx: 09/2004
    09/2011- oooppppssss still have it.

Comment

So headaches are a natural part of MS for some people? I'm just wondering if this is serious and I need to contact a doctor.

My sister gets migraines. I get bottom-end migraines with the sensitivity to light and whatnot but nothing as serious as her.

These hurt that much but without a lot of the other stuff I usually get. Or it could be I just am not used to get regular headaches.

I'm just wondering if I'm blowing stuff out of proportion as far as it being a serious thing to be concerned about.
      "I know that I'm not my illness, but some days it seems so overwhelmingly difficult to cope that I put on that label and wear it like a coat." -Anonymous

Comment

It seems common

I have noticed that many people on the MS Forums complain of frequent headaches. I have them in batches. It seems they are just like you describe, recurring several times a day and go on for a few weeks, then they just abruptly stop. Then a month later they start up in a different location.

When my DH asked me to describe what I am talking about, I told him it feels like I am in that movie with Norman Bates, Bates Motel, in the shower seen when the music screeches as he does the knife action. Lol. Sorry, sounds so graphic and disturbing, huh! But the pain really is that severe and is like someone is using a sharp instrument to jab into my brain. I am not kidding when I say that I almost want to put in hands over my head in a defensive mode to protect my head. Sometimes it shoots through my eye.

My neuro dismissed it as though it was common MS stuff. But I think it warrants you telling your doctor to be sure. My neuro is complacent about a lot of things.

I am really sorry you are having these issues and I hope you find relief. Keep us posted on how your doing and anything you learn about this.

Comment

Originally posted by E_B_A View Post
          So headaches are a natural part of MS for some people? I'm just wondering if this is serious and I need to contact a doctor.

My sister gets migraines. I get bottom-end migraines with the sensitivity to light and whatnot but nothing as serious as her.

These hurt that much but without a lot of the other stuff I usually get. Or it could be I just am not used to get regular headaches.

I'm just wondering if I'm blowing stuff out of proportion as far as it being a serious thing to be concerned about.
          They can be a part of MS, but it's worth the call to the doctor. Mine was able to get mine under control with meds.

Comment

you definitely need to call your doctor! don't ignore it. granted headaches may be a part of MS. I personally have intense ones on either side of my head that last for days at a time. But sometimes it could be your body trying to tell you something. Once it was my body trying to tell me I had ON. At one point they even prescribed me percocet. But I don't believe in taking NARC's.

Comment

I have posted about these before. These "ice pick" headaches. Your not alone..

----- I get "normal" headaches maybe once or twice a week. I feel like I’m always taking Alieve, or Advil, or Tylenol. But the main headaches I worry about are in one area of the head - Same area for over a year now (upper right skull quadrant/back of head/above and slightly behind right ear). Maybe a lesion is causing this? This varies as well. Usually begins with a sharp/shooting pain, lasting only a few seconds at most. Then, sometimes it's followed by a dull, "pressing", pain. These are HORRIBLE. These last from a couple minutes to a slight dull feeling all day or even days in that one area. Though the area is small (circumference of 3 inches max), the pain level is quite high when the shooting pains happen and the dull, pressure feeling follows.

These happen very randomly as well. When they do, it's usually a series of these, going on for days at a time (2-6). It's even possible I just get these shooting pains, maybe once, maybe 10x a day, then I don't get any for weeks or months.

Sometimes I'll go weeks, even months without this. But they do always come back it seems.

- NOTE: I went to the doctor last year thinking I had a brain tumor, or something else sever causing these. They did a CAT scan and did not see anything. (if only they would have done an MRI huh?). These "shooting" pains were originally why I started going to see my chiropractor and massage therapist as well. This combination, along with getting glasses, helped immensely. But, as stated, they have been coming back at the onset of my 1st main MS symptoms (Early Jan 2011).

Comment

It's strange though, my Neuro said this is not MS related??

I dunno, that's one thing I'm not sure about.

Comment

I get terrible migraines, and I always have, but the past 5 years or so they have gotten much worse. I am *sure* they are MS related. I don't need a doctorate in medicine or research to back it up either. I know b/c they started getting worse when my MS symptoms started. Is it more likely they are MS related or that it is a coincidence? I think perhaps that some people who are prone to migraines/headaches have worsening symptoms b/c of lesions - I MAY buy that argument. BUT, clearly migraines/headaches and MS are relatated to each other somehow.
                  Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                  ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Yes, headaches can be related to MS. My neuro always asks if I am having alot of headaches.

Other causes: Migraines, certain foods, hormonal changes, metabolic disorder such as diabetes or thyroid disease, stress/tension and some medications. When over the counter pain relievers are used alot there can be rebound headaches.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks everybody!

I have a doctor's appointment soon and I will bring it up.

I had a headache like that for three days straight this week but it finally went away. That's unusual.

Comment

Another cause for headaches is poor quality sleep, which many of us suffer from due to pain or whatever. I went to the neuro in the first place because of these nasty headaches. He said specifically, if one wakes up with the migraine it's from not sleeping well. Another side effect from MS, I guess if not directly related to it.
                        What if trials of this life
                        Are Your mercies in disguise?
                        "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

headache problem is common in daily life.I had been suffering for 2 years. I had been given muscle relaxers, pains killers and physical therapy.All of this to no avail. When I contacted to sandy Springs GA Chiropractor.I cant thank him enough for giving me my life back.I have never gone to a Doctor's office where I felt more comfortable, more important and at ease.

Comment

If you would like to look at a very possible cause for your headaches, you could go to my posts under "high calcium."

It is on page 4, I think.

The culprit could be a chemical called homocysteine. It is a potent blood vessel and nerve toxin. It is made by your body for necessary reasons, but if you lack B12, it cannot be converted as it should be, and then builds up in your bloodstream. Much more info under "High Calcium."

Homocysteine is also linked to MS.

Comment

In a study reported on in the Annals of General Psychiatry titled: "Increased plasma homocysteine levels in patients with MS and depression", he was concluded that the homocysteine levels in MS patients were "significantly increased".

Comment

Working...
                              X