Ness L 300 / Walk Aide ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ness L 300 / Walk Aide ?

I posted a thread about trying out the Walk Aide. Thank you for those that replied. I have uncovered another device that unlike the Walk Aide, I have not tried just yet.

Does anyone have thoughts regarding the Ness L300 v. Walk Aide?

Does anyone have the Ness L300 now?

What has been your experience with it?

Is is the same electrical sensation as the Walk Aide?

Cost approved by more health insurance providers?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Patti
    Diagnosed 2/11/99
    Avonex 3/2/99
    Tried Tecfidera for 3 weeks. Couldn't handle side affects. Back on Avonex, for now.

They work the same, some people have had more success with the Bioness. It is extremely rare for Insurance to pay for either since they are expensive.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Ness L 300 / Walk Aide

I think it is terrible. Everyone is punished, those that work and have insurance and those that do not work without insurance. Why is everything so difficult and a fight. Geesh. I will try out the Ness L300 , hopefully soon so that I can compare the experience I had with the Walk Aide.
      Patti
      Diagnosed 2/11/99
      Avonex 3/2/99
      Tried Tecfidera for 3 weeks. Couldn't handle side affects. Back on Avonex, for now.

Comment

Walk Aide vs. Bioness

Just my opinion - but for me it was the Bioness, hands down. The WalkAide appealed to me more at first, because you can have bare feet and wear it (which I am a lot of the time in the summer) but - it's not adjustable in the pulse it sends. MSers know that the more tired you get, the higher it has to go, which works great for me. And - insurance won't pay for either one now, somehow they've apparently gotten wind of the cost and shut that door...Some carriers used to pay for it, and supposedly even Medicare has "approved" it - but they won't pay for it either. So - I bought my own. Test drive and see which works best for YOU - and if it works well, I hope you can get one. Good luck!

Comment

Hi just out of curiousity how did you guys like the walk aide im getting ready to get one and I was just wondering how it worked for you?

Comment

Walk Aide

I only tried it as a test. I declined going through the preliminary stage as I wanted to try out the Ness L 300. Unfortunately you cannot just try the Ness without a physician's order or willingness to go through the therapy program associated with it.
            I did not really like the sensation the Walk Aide gives you, well - the sensation / elec stim, really wasnt that bad, you can get used to it, what I didnt care for is how it forced my foot/ankle out to the right. That did not feel right.
            I will continue using my afo brace until my foot drop gets worse then maybe these devices will be approved for MS and covered under insurance.
            Patti
            Diagnosed 2/11/99
            Avonex 3/2/99

Comment

The WalkAide appealed to me more at first, because you can have bare feet and wear it (which I am a lot of the time in the summer) but - it's not adjustable in the pulse it sends. MSers know that the more tired you get, the higher it has to go, which works great for me.
              This is not correct, the level or volume of the stimulation is adjustable very easily with the knob on to of the unit and I am able to adjust mine even with jeans on thru the material. I love the walk aide and it does not have anything on my foot to cause irritation.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I have the bioness l300 for two years and I love it. I tried the walkaide and found that it has to be adjusted by a tec. everytime your gait speed changed. You can adjust the amount of stim, but not the speed. so if the speed of your walk varies you can't manualy adjust the device.

With the bioness you it senses the speed of each step so you don't have to worry about it. You also can adjust the intensity of the electrical stimulation. During a flare I adjust it up more or if my muscles are fatigued during a longer walk. The tec also can adjust it on a computer like a walkaide if necessary to increase the strength. However, you can make 9 different strength adjustments alone without a tec. I have never had to take it in to increase the strength of the device or to have it fixed. I also found I can make the electrodes last months instead of replacing them every two weeks. So I save lots of money that way.

I am thrilled with the bioness. It helps no matter what motion I make with the stepping.

Comment

walkaide

I have to jump in for just a second...I got the Walkaide when my daughter was getting married and I wanted to walk down the aisle as the mother of the bride!

It took a little while to get used to the stim, but being determined and having a goal in mind probably helped. But after going thro the "training", I became used to it and I walked down the aisle and enjoyed the reception immensely!

Now getting to the cost, it was expensive and my insurance did not help. I have had to have it adjusted, and the
                  pads that administer the stim wear out if not used, in my experience. But for the most part, I am glad I got it.

If anyone has any specific questions, I will be glad to answer them if I can.

I have a couple friends who got the Bioness and they like that too. I think the Bioness (or Ness) is less visible, but I have not heard anything that indicates one is better than the other. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I did decide to go with the walk aide. I am in the process of getting used to it. When I have it one I can really tell the difference. I will keep you updated on the my walking, thanks again.

Comment

Rosepetals

Originally posted by rosepetals View Post
                      I also found I can make the electrodes last months instead of replacing them every two weeks. So I save lots of money that way.
                      May I ask how you make the electrodes last longer? Do you use the cloth electrodes?

I have used the Bioness for almost 3 years - love it!

Comment

I don't change the electrodes every two weeks. There isn't any need to. Of course I am not following the instructions.
                        I am not prescribing or anything like that. After changing them every two weeks for quite a while I realized that it wasn't necessary.

As long as I moistened the little rubber pad and it wasn't degraded it still worked fine. It looses its stickyness but the guy at bioness says it does not need to be sticky to be conductive.

Just moisten it. I personally am gross and use a bit of slobber as its close. I only wear it when I go out for a walk other wise I don't wear the bioness. I don't wear it in the house.

I do not use the cotton ones.

It saves me lots of money. Heck the last time I changed them I even used an old one I had saved. It was in better condition than the old one I threw out. The old one the rubber was breaking down so I tossed it. I am gentle when I take them off so they last.

It seems like I get about 3 months out of them. I also found I can use ky gell on them for conductivity to increase it if the air is dry or my skin is dry.

Comment

Trying out WalkAide

I'm having a lot of trouble getting it placed right on my leg. The few times either I or the tech has succeeded were wonderful, almost as though I didn't have MS. But most of the time either my foot jerks to the right or it stings and is too painful. Does anyone have any suggestions? My tech also doesn't have a lot of experience. The electrodes are still gooey - does that mean they are still good? It's been 3 weeks now.

Comment

Originally posted by ldruce View Post
                            I'm having a lot of trouble getting it placed right on my leg. The few times either I or the tech has succeeded were wonderful, almost as though I didn't have MS. But most of the time either my foot jerks to the right or it stings and is too painful. Does anyone have any suggestions? My tech also doesn't have a lot of experience. The electrodes are still gooey - does that mean they are still good? It's been 3 weeks now.
                            Idruce,

I used a walk aid for about two years. You have to keep playing around on moving the pads until you hit the right spot. You are not far off if your foot is jerking to the right. The stings mean your pads are off the mark. If memory serves me right, "It's been several years since I have used one."If you feel the outside of your leg, there is a bone that runs up to your knee. The pad with the black lead goes about an inch below the tip of the bone, the pad with the right lead goes about two inches to the center of the leg. You have to play around to find the right spot.

As long as the pads still stick to the skin there're still good. sticky is usually good. When they are dried out you won't get much of a stim out of it. You can use a spray bottle and spray the pads, it helps with the electrical stim. You don't have to do this until you have used the pads several times. It can prolong the use of the pads.

Gary

Comment

Any one is using the ness l 300 plus that also help with the thigh because it is my main problem.?
                              I will be testing one pretty soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X