hand coordination issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hand coordination issues

So today I went into the lab to try and run an assay with no one around, so I could be focused on the work. I quickly had difficulty opening the microcentrifuge tubes that contained the samples. I also had difficulty working the pipetter. I wasn't expecting this - so in addition to being frustrated it made me upset, to the point of breaking down and crying.

I've found a little gadget online that will assist in opening the tubes, so I'll be ordering several of those! But the hand/motor issue of working the pipetter I'm not sure about how to improve. Does anyone know if various hand exercises might help?

phoebe.

I have had lots of hand cordination issues.

I would talk to your neuro about seeing a physical therapist. I couldnt even begin to try and discribe the excersizes I did in therapy. Plus you really need a professional to show you.

CrazyCatLady
    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

I have trouble counting out money. I just can't get my fingers and hands to co operate and I fumble around. I guess it's not just money, but that's the most obvious hand issue.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I feel your frustration

Phoebe,

I can completely relate. I have left hand weakness and spasm and I am unable to be cleared to go back to work as an anesthesiologist. I have worked on my hand coordination doing all kinds of things:
        1) Cake/Cookie/Cupcake decorating
        2) Strength training using Light tension (they have other difficult levels) grip master by Prohands which works each finger independently for helping strength
        3) Another good childrens game with different shapes that you have to get in with your weak hand called Perfection
        4) Lite brite color pegs following a pattern
        5) Play do/Silly putty/therapy putty
        6) I have read some studies were you cover your
        unaffected hand with a mitten during the day in your house and force yourself to use the other affected hand more. The results of these studies are not out yet.

One thing I learned at OT was that the intrinsic muscles fatigue quickly (15 minutes max) and repeatative movements can cause fatique and spasm.

Have you thought about going to occupational therapy (OT)to have all the muscles tested to find out what exactly is affected and they have all kind of ideas to help build strength.

I hope this gives you some good options

Comment

Phoebe,
          From your note may I assume you work in the lab? First you do need to let you neurologist know what is going on. The other exercises sound good. I had problems with my hands, worse on right but my doc thought it was probably caused by tremors. I had a really hard time writing or grasping or holding small things. He put me on Topamax and I am much better. I still have some things that are hard for me to do but I they are just some of the frustrating things I accept. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've ordered the Gripmaster on Amazon today and will talk with my doctor tomorrow.

Comment

this is not good for an artist

I am finding that when I am having more symptoms that I am unable to coordinate well enough to draw or do much art at all. My motions are very choppy and I do not have as much control over how much pressure I use.

Just another thing that I will need to remember to tell the neuro.
              MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

does it improve if you keep trying?

How long have you had this difficulty? Do you think you can adapt to it?

I hope these don't seem like dumb questions. I feel my experience with ms has taught me a lot about adapting. Of course, adapting doesn't mean there's no loss, or frustration, or difficulty... ::sigh::

I spent my entire childhood drawing obsessively. Then I pursued other things. I'm trying my (shaky) hand a bit at drawing again.

Comment

Impaired coordination of the fingers can get quite frustrating, I know, I'm there! Numbness and fatigue can make things even more challenging.

As an OT, we specialize in hands and can offer a lot. Definitely keep your doctors informed with any new symptom. Keep a log for any new symptoms, if things worsen, what makes it better or worse.

I encourage using items with larger handles and grips, doing activity for multiple short periods (to minimize fatigue), use lighter objects, try resting your elbow on table or rolled towel to save your energy of having to work your arm against gravity as well as deal with the fine motor skills.

Strengthen the hand and forearm, not just the fingers. There are numerous little muscles in the hand as well as several muscles in the forearm that are responsible for finger movement. Remember to start with larger items to grasp and grade down as appropriate. Tension balls are good to keep around (you can use a tennis ball) to work with the hand.

Great suggestions already given to help with exercises. In addition, work on touching thumb individually to each finger. Work on precision and speed--- as tolerated;

Think about what you can use around the house for finger work out...
                  Loosen, tighten caps (ie toothpaste) for twist exercise;
                  Squeeze Chip/hair clip .. tension exercise;
                  Buttons, tying shoes for coordination & precision;
                  Pick up coins;
                  Open and close jars. Tighten to close to increase exercise.
                  Pick up different dried pasta shapes

Use non skid grip to open jars, hold objects that slide from fingers or hands. There are several offered as kitchen aides or cut pieces from non-skid mats used for rugs.

Tap fingers on table one at a time - thumb to pinky and back. Do back and forth as tolerated.
                  Exercise your wrist.

Be creative and continue to share ideas!
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Phoebe,

I realize that this is a very late reply, but I just saw your posting.
                    It sounded to me like your lack of coordination/weakness in February was a first for you, which makes me think it was an exacerbation. Am I correct?
                    I had an exacerbation similar to yours 13 years ago. I remember how very scared I was. I was given steroids at the time and that helped a fair amount, but not entirely. Gradually, over time, I did regain most of the coordination (and, I think, all of the strength). I didn't know enough to ask about PT, but I was changing careers and got a job where I was doing a lot of data entry -- so in a way this was PT.
                    I'm writing to give you a little hope: although I still have a little residual disability (my handwriting has never got as neat as it once was), I have never had another exacerbation that involved that arm (or the other one).
                    Best wishes

Comment

Phoebe,
                      Glad to see that you are not 'giving up' but are looking for help/ways to improve.

Love the ideas from ntaylor; Perfection is fun for my kids (a bit noisy), but I never thought of playing it myself to improve my hand skills.

As for the two people who posted about how this has interfered with a love for art, I can identify. I used to love to draw and sketch from childhood to college. Somehow, after I switched from an art major to an elem. education major, I dropped my favorite "stress reliever" and hobby (other than reading).

I am right-handed, but my weaker hand/arm is my left one (thankfully). However, I have also noticed (from looking at journal writings from years ago) that my own handwriting has really gone downhill. I have tried drawing a few times and found that I can still do it (though it doesn't feel as natural). The handwriting, though, has been a real disappointment. I type out almost all of my notes to my kids' teachers.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts...I just found this to be an interesting thread with lots of shared frustrations, as well as great ideas.

Comment

I knew my handwriting was bad but today I tried to crochet thinking the mind hand coordination would be good. FRUSTRATING! Maybe I'll start over with fingerpainting and at least get some satisfaction. I can still button my shirts but have more and more difficulty with the key board.

Are any of you doing specific exercises to maintain fine motor skills?

Comment

Fine motor skills require integrating muscular, skeletal and neurological functions.

Hand coordination is the ability for your hands and fingers to work in unison.

Start with range-of-motion exercises

Touch each finger to the thumb one at a time. Then try to increase speed.

Practice picking up items and twirling using fingers:
                          Pen/pencil, paperclips (start with larger ones) - place on paper; Coins - Sized - Bigger first (quarter) pick up, move it around with fingers, do with each coin

For both hands.. . practice nuts and bolts, Button/unbutton; (un)/lace shoes; opening/closing jars/containers (lightly); stringing beads;

Squeeze clothes pins, binder clips, anything with tension. Start with lightest tension you need.

Repeat exercises as tolerated in sets of 5.

For handwriting, there are pens with rubber grip on it, grips you can put on and large pens (also pencils). Pens also have different weights and way the ink goes on (fine, medium point, gel). Try different ones.
                          Try to avoid writing on a day that your hand was busy i.e. a lot of typing, dish washing, cooking etc

Always give your hands a break just like you would walking around. Massage and paraffin is helpful with tightness and discomfort
                          Be Well,
                          Susan

Comment

Thank you, Susan. I do the finger/thumb touch several times per day. I had not done any crafting or writing for a few months and was not aware that my coordination was deteriorating. I needed help at the MD office today to fill in the questionaire.
                            I think I'll copy/print an exercise routine and post it on the wall to help me remember.

Comment

always cold

Hi.....I love the cold weather however this year I'm always cold. Could my MS have to with that?

Comment

Working...
                              X