No announcement yet.

memory loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm like Greg - forget what I'm saying, why I was going into the other room, where I put something, etc.

Saw my neuro yesterday & brought this up. He gave me a referral to a neuro-psych for cognitive testing. He told me this doc had a re-training program for MS pts w/cog issues. I have to make sure my insurance will cover it but I am looking forward to learning more about it.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Since 2006, I had severe long and short term memory issues. It has improved a bit, because I have PRMS, so there is still some repair going on.

I have also noticed, because of the severe pain I am in when it's cold, the memory issues get better when it's warmer, because the pain gets drastically reduced. The less pain, the better my memory is. I have no useful pain killer, besides the usual everyone uses for a headache. Nothing else works, or I'm allergic to it, or I have awful side-effects.

Comment

I can certainly relate to these issues. Great example for me is walking out of a movie or finishing a book and can barely tell you a thing about it!

In my opinion, what causes cognitive issues can be quite difficult; MS, Getting Older, and/or simply this thing called Life? We seem to have more and more responsibilities these days that often can be distracting and just overwhelming.

However, the fact, is cognitive issues can occur with MS. Getting a prescription for occupational therapy can help as there are several assessments and functional activities provided. Thank you to those supporting that. I have seen results in my 25 yrs of experience.

A neuro-psychologist can help for assessment and can make recommendations from that.

If something requires my attention and a lot of concentration, I will try to do it early in the day, when I have the most energy. Remember, fatigue with MS is both physical and mental.

I 'exercise' my mind by doing activities and games such as those found on the computer, phone, ipod, game books, even with family and friends. Word games, sudoku, crossword, trivia (I'm really bad at that!), scrabble, cards, things of the sort. The variety activities you take part in can help with many areas including problem solving, memory, creative thinking, decision making, and organization to name a few.

Lastly, interacting with people makes a significant difference. Getting involved in conversations and activities facilitates cognitive resources and keeps your mind active. MSWorld provides a great opportunity to do this so enjoy!
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Memory

MS definitely causes these problems. I was just worked up by a neuropsychologist for my MS related memory loss and cognitive dysfunction. He said it is very common and that about 50% of MS patients had some form of cognitive dysfunction like memory loss, attention deficit, inability to do math, slow thinking, word finding problems etc. More than just when we are flaring. So it is not in our imagination, but it can be helped, or at least worked around with cognitive rehab. I forever walk away from the sink with the water running, and things like that. Put things where they shouldn't go. Forget where I am driving etc. They think it has to do with frontal lesion load.
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by photomama View Post
            I have pretty severe cognitive issues (and am not officially diagnosed, though we unofficially call this MS). A few years I went through neuropsych tests and scored in the 1% for short term memory. Yup- 1%- meaning 99% in my age group and ability/education level remember better than me.

The way it was explained to me was that it doesn't take much damage to mess up your ability to multi-task & use short-term memory.

I am a strong believer in Occupational Therapy- if you have a really hard time with remembering things, they can help you with strategies. With MS, you won't be able "get back" your memory, but you can find ways of working around it and make life easier.

With 3 kids and their various activities, I have calendars ALL over the place, including a large white board by our door. I have reminders for everything- because if it is not written down and put in my online calendar, with a reminder sent to my phone, I won't remember.

HTH!
            Erin, I appreciate your comment, as I was starting to feel alone in this area. I mean I know it's a common symptom, but it's still nice hearing it from an actual person. I, too went through various neuropsych testing and I showed declines in memory such as yours. It causes many problems at work, home, etc. I can appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.

Comment

Yes!

I have experienced exactly what you are describing with the dreams! Just recently it feels like a memory becomes so hazy it becomes like a dream. I have not been diagnosed with MS but there is no doubt in my mind that is what I have. Problem is that without diagnosis I can't receive any treatment either. The other thing that happened was I saw a heard a word recently (a school name) and knew I had heard it before and couldn't place it like it was from a dream. Turns out it was mentioned in a book I'd been reading and finally put the two together. It was really scary. I don't know where I am at with MS, or what kind because again, I haven't been diagnosed. Wish I could be but after two MRIs and many doctors trips and symptoms that come and go, I think it will be difficult.

Comment

Working...
              X