Shingles without a rash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingles without a rash

Saw my neuro yesterday and he has come up with a way outside the box idea as to what's going on with me. Now, before I go any further, I would like to say I trust and like my neuro very much. and he spends a tremendous amount of time with me, explaining anything, answering questions, and he is always open to me challenging him. Although admittly, he tends to confuse me sometimes as he can talk in circles.

In the last few months I have had 2 flairs that affected my right arm. Deeply intense pain that has moved down my arm making it impossible to move my arm, not necessarily due to weakness, but pain. Although once the pain subsided, weakness was present. Both times treated with steroids, which helped.

The theory he is looking into is shingles without the rash. He says the only real way to know for sure is a lumbar puncture to measure zoster titers. I'm not ready to go tbrough another LP at this point. The other thing he is doing is an eeg (or emg) I keep forgetting the right name for this....it's the zappy test looking for things such as peripheral neropathy. He says if he sees certain patterns with this, it may point in this direction, at which point we would look into what may be a long term therapy of anti virals, and during flairs, treating with anti virals and steroids.

I thought this theory was a little too outside the box for me, but sure enough once I research it, it is possible. The name I found for it is "zoster sin herpete".

So, what I do find interesting with this is the fact that I have had shigles twice, once as a young kid, and a very minor attack about 5 years ago. BUT, I never experienced the postherpatic pain with either of these episodes. My "first" poss MS attack happened a few years later in my left arm, which is almost identical to what happened to my right arm in the last few months. I had an eeg (or whatever it's called) done on the left arm which came back normal, which my neuro says means it's a central issue, not peripheral. So as you can see, it contradicts what he's suggesting now. (Yes we discussed this at length). I agreed to do the test anyway.

He also says that since shingles can attack basically any nerve, it could account for all of my problems, vision, facial numbness, arms, etc., and of course since its viral, fatigue.

I've tried to keep the post short and concise, but if I left out anything , or if I made it too short to understand, just say so.........

Has anyone heard of this, experienced this, etc.

i would be wary that the shingles is causing all of your problems. shingles generally runs along a single nerve, on one side of the body. but on occasion it will cross over the hemisphere.... which has happened to me now twice!

what my neuro suggest is #1: if it is infact shingles, he refuses to administer steroids because that will infact make the shingles virus more active. and #2, if the shingles last for a long time, or are severe enough, it can throw you into a "pseudo-flare up"...which my neuro said happened to me last year. my pseudo-flare felt like a full blown real flare, but an MRI confirmed that it was nerve damage from the shingles and not an MS lesion.

i'm starting to see a pattern develop though with myself... it seems that i will get severe nerve pain for a few days, then an intense itching with pain (and never any blisters like normal shingles). so either i am prone to the sin herpes too, or this nerve pain / itching is a precurser / tell for a new flare up for me? i've been debating for a year now, is what i'm feeling shingles or ms? does one lead to the other? does one make the other flare? i think so. anytime your immune system gets activated you have a higher chance of flaring.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I tend to think the same. I have done a lot more research since, and while it is very interesting and possible, I just really don't think it applies to me.

I had the EMG at the beginning of the month. The Dr performing it said she didn't see anything really going on, but still needed to crunch the numbers to be sure. Unfortunately, my father died the next day and I have been out of town since, and don't know exactly when I'll return, so don't have my results yet.

Comment

Working...
      X